Drving times in the west

Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:47 PM
David & Barbara Schmidt

Default Drving times in the west

We are going to take a trip in August from Dallas, TX up to Mt Rushmore,
over to Devil's Tower, over to Yellowstone NP, up to Glacier NP in
Montana, and then come back through Idaho and Utah. I know some of the
driving times from previous trips, but need some input and help on some
others.

We would not be stopping to often, just for meals, and any spectacular
scenic places.

What are the realistic driving times from:

Spearfish, SD to Cody.WY? Should we take the northern route through Big
Horn Canyon, or the southern past Shell Falls?

Gardiner, MT to Glacier NP?

Kallispell MT across HWY 12 to Lewston ID?

Lewiston ID to Boise ID? Should we take 95 or 55?

Boise ID to Salt Lake City UT?

Moab UT to Aspen CO?

Aspen CO to Colorado Springs CO?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Barbara

Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:00 PM

I wanna say moab--aspen is just under 4 hours.....

will have to look back at the tour journals from that summer.....

bottom line for this drive is, who cares? Scenery is so amazing, it
will never get old......

Chuck

Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:36 PM
Michel Talbot

David & Barbara Schmidt a écrit:

Spearfish, SD to Cody.WY? Should we take the northern route through Big
Horn Canyon, or the southern past Shell Falls?

I don't remember my exact driving time...

I had left from Rapid-City around 1pm and drove through Lead and
Spearfish Canyon. I got in Devil's tower around 4 or 5pm and drove to
Sheridan WY (7 or 8pm).

I left from Sheridan in the morning (9 or 10), drove through Big Horn,
was in Cody around 1:30pm and entered Yellowston NP at 3pm.

I don't know about the southern route but I think Big Horn Canyon is
worth seeing:
http://groups.msn.com/MichelTalbotPh...to&PhotoID=397

--
Michel Talbot
Montreal

Formula One Photo Database: http://www.F1Pics.net

Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:05 AM
Keith W

"David & Barbara Schmidt" wrote in message
We are going to take a trip in August from Dallas, TX up to Mt Rushmore,
over to Devil's Tower, over to Yellowstone NP, up to Glacier NP in
Montana, and then come back through Idaho and Utah. I know some of the
driving times from previous trips, but need some input and help on some
others.

We would not be stopping to often, just for meals, and any spectacular
scenic places.

What are the realistic driving times from:

Spearfish, SD to Cody.WY? Should we take the northern route through Big
Horn Canyon, or the southern past Shell Falls?

It took me about 6 hours via Shell Falls

Gardiner, MT to Glacier NP?

About a day

Kallispell MT across HWY 12 to Lewston ID?

Lewiston ID to Boise ID? Should we take 95 or 55?

Boise ID to Salt Lake City UT?

5 hours but take the opportunity to visit Golden Spike
Historic Monument on the way. This will add 2 or 3 hours
but is worth it.

Moab UT to Aspen CO?

4 1/2 hours but I'd pop in to Colorado NM
on the the way if I were you. Allow a couple
of hours extra to see some great scenery

Aspen CO to Colorado Springs CO?

All help is greatly appreciated!

Barbara

Keith

Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
Icono Clast

David & Barbara Schmidt wrote:
What are the realistic driving times from:

The "realistic driving times from" anywhere to somewhere else is the
distance (in miles) divided by 50. I've been using that formula for
many decades and find it quite accurate.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old May 3rd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Icono Clast wrote:

David & Barbara Schmidt wrote:

What are the realistic driving times from:

The "realistic driving times from" anywhere to somewhere else is the
distance (in miles) divided by 50. I've been using that formula for
many decades and find it quite accurate.

Driving times are strangely dependent on road quality and traffic
patterns. Your estimate is reasonable for major highways outside of
large cities but the intrusion of either a rush hour in a city or a
small road should result in the addition of time in the first case and a
factor of 1.5 to 2.5 in the second case. For extremely small roads
simply abandon hope. I remember a road south from Cade's Cove in Tenn.
where 20 mph might have been an optimistic estimate.

Old May 4th, 2005, 07:22 PM
David Katleman

David & Barbara Schmidt ) wrote:
: We are going to take a trip in August from Dallas, TX up to Mt Rushmore,
: over to Devil's Tower, over to Yellowstone NP, up to Glacier NP in
: Montana, and then come back through Idaho and Utah. I know some of the
: driving times from previous trips, but need some input and help on some
: others.

Did the loop from Yellowstone to Devil's Tower to Rushmore to
Glacier last summer. Quite the nice drive.

: Spearfish, SD to Cody.WY? Should we take the northern route through Big
: Horn Canyon, or the southern past Shell Falls?

We took the southern route (HWY14), but we took two days from Yellowstone
to Rushmore, stopping over night in a nice small campground,
Owen Creek, in Bighorn NF.

: Gardiner, MT to Glacier NP?

A day is plenty, though if you're leaving Yellowstone, I'd
take an extra 3-4 hours and leave via Silver Gate and go over
Beartooth pass. It's a bit out of the way, but the views
are just spectacular.

Dave

Old May 5th, 2005, 01:34 AM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Boise ID to Salt Lake City UT?

I don't recall the driving time despite making the trip, hmm, twice
each way, but generally have a sense of leaving one after breakfast and
hitting the other midafternoon without pushing too hard at all.
Mapquest quotes it as 340 miles and a bit over 5 hours, which has the
ring of truth. That's to Salt Lake City per se; details depend on
just where you're headed on that 80-mile stretch of towns from Ogden
down to Provo.

It is a reasonably efficient trip (unless you hit the SLC area at its
ever more urban rush hour) but for the most part not a particularly
scenic one, with few temptations for stops or side trips, in my
opinion. You'll run through some pleasant irrigated farm country in
parts of Idaho and will see impressive mountains east of the Salt Lake
area, but won't go through the mountainous area until the next leg.

There are a number of things to see and do once in the SLC area both
indoors and out, depending on your interests. Some interesting links:
http://www.ci.slc.ut.us/visitors/
http://www.umnh.utah.edu/
http://www.hill.af.mil/museum/
http://www.saltlakecityutah.org/