UK -> USA, working.

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:36 PM
dismum

Default UK -> USA, working.

you can only stay for 90 days on the visa waiver a visa to stay up to 6 months will cost you £67 and you won't be allowed to work anyway .When you go through immigration they will want to know the ins and outs of where you will be staying during your visit and if you can't satisfy them they will put you on the next flight back home .The only way is to go through the proper channels and join a scheme such as was suggested like a summer camo who wilkl do the paper work for you .If you decide to ignore all advice and go anyway bear in mind if you are refused admission to the dstates once its hard everytime to get in .Security has become a major thing since 9-11 and the immigration officer has the final say on whether or not you enter the country.I have a second home there ans still get third degree at the airport .

Old January 10th, 2004, 07:21 PM
john

he's right. you won't get a visa. unless you have a special skill, and we're
talking things like professor of aerospace engineering or professional
athlete. I wouldn't come to North America with the hope of working
illegally. Many employers won't take the risk as the fines are quite high if
they are caught.

why not go to Canada (my homeland)? As a Brit you are entitled to a 1 year
working holiday visa. Living in, say, Toronto or Vancouver is not that
different to living in the US, culturally, and you can travel to the US as
you like to see the sights etc. yes, it's cold in Canada but the climate of
a city like Toronto is much the same as somewhere like New York or Chicago.

\"Dennis P. Harris" wrote in message
On 09 Jan 2004 12:32:17 GMT in rec.travel.usa-canada,
ATJUNK (dj152) wrote:

I love the USA... and what i'd want to do is work there for around 6

months.
And, i'm not looking for a career.. just something that means I can

afford to
stay out there for those months. Thing is, i'm not sure if this is even
possible?

It's not. You need a work visa, which is almost impossible for
you to get.

Old January 11th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Keith Willshaw

"john" wrote in message
he's right. you won't get a visa. unless you have a special skill, and

we're
talking things like professor of aerospace engineering or professional
athlete. I wouldn't come to North America with the hope of working
illegally. Many employers won't take the risk as the fines are quite high

if
they are caught.

******** !

If he wants to go as a worker at a summer camp or
in the National parks service its perfectly possible.

They dont pay much but then the original poster didnt
require that. Thousnads of youngsters and students do just
that every year,

Keith

Old January 11th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Hatunen

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 00:24:46 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"john" wrote in message
he's right. you won't get a visa. unless you have a special skill, and

we're
talking things like professor of aerospace engineering or professional
athlete. I wouldn't come to North America with the hope of working
illegally. Many employers won't take the risk as the fines are quite high

if
they are caught.

******** !

If he wants to go as a worker at a summer camp or
in the National parks service its perfectly possible.

Not if he doesn't have a social security card.

They dont pay much but then the original poster didnt
require that. Thousnads of youngsters and students do just
that every year,

Yeah, but they have social security cards.

Old January 11th, 2004, 09:18 AM
john

There is a summer camp program from young foreigners to go to the US. It's
*not* the same as a work visa, or a working holiday type visa. you must work
at the camp and it's short term.

http://www.greatcampjobs.com/j1visa/index.htm
http://www.greatcampjobs.com/f1visa/index.htm

Old January 11th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Keith Willshaw

wrote:

If he wants to go as a worker at a summer camp or
in the National parks service its perfectly possible.

Not if he doesn't have a social security card.

They dont pay much but then the original poster didnt
require that. Thousnads of youngsters and students do just
that every year,

Yeah, but they have social security cards.

No they dont, they need a sponsor for a J-1 Visa
and have to attend an interview at the US embassy

The following organisations are J-1 sponsors

http://www.campamerica.co.uk/
http://www.ccusa.com/CCUSA/why_do_ccusa.html
http://www.gpihr.com/international_applicants.htm

I met a girl from Birmingham working in Glacier Park
on exactly this programme earlier in the year.

Keith

Old January 11th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Keith Willshaw

"john" wrote in message
There is a summer camp program from young foreigners to go to the US. It's
*not* the same as a work visa, or a working holiday type visa. you must

work
at the camp and it's short term.

http://www.greatcampjobs.com/j1visa/index.htm
http://www.greatcampjobs.com/f1visa/index.htm

Yes its short term but it IS a visa program, as the URL indicates
its a J1 visa. The usual arrangement is for people to work 11 or
12 weeks than take 4 or five weeks to travel having earned some
pocket money. For an 18 or 19 year old its not a bad program.

Keith

Old January 11th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Hatunen

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 11:53:14 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If he wants to go as a worker at a summer camp or
in the National parks service its perfectly possible.

Not if he doesn't have a social security card.

They dont pay much but then the original poster didnt
require that. Thousnads of youngsters and students do just
that every year,

Yeah, but they have social security cards.

No they dont, they need a sponsor for a J-1 Visa
and have to attend an interview at the US embassy

Ah. it wasn't clear that you meant such a program in the post I
responded to. Sorry.

Old January 12th, 2004, 12:00 AM
dj152

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!!

I'll keep reading into it.. and will consider all of the advice giving!! And
yeah, I will also consider Canada.

Dan

~leave what you've lost, leave what's grown old.... on thunder road...~