Rome: Colosseum Tour and other must see sights

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:32 AM
MACE

Default Rome: Colosseum Tour and other must see sights

Hi Folks:

We'll be staying in the Prati district, arriving early this Saturday,
leaving next Thursday noon.

We'd like to tour Vatican city, can we arrange a tour for 3 on the day
we want to actually do the tour and if so, what highlights are a must
on that tour, who would you recommend, and what would the price be?

Our next must see sights are the Colosseum, Forum, and Pantheon.
Any tour companys offer just these 3 stops (with actual entrance into
the sights, and if so, recommendations?). Where would we have to go to
start the tour, and what is the cost?

Finally, recommendations on restaurants in the Prati distrct would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Paul-
Old February 25th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Keith Willshaw

Default Colosseum Tour and other must see sights

"MACE" wrote in message
m...
Hi Folks:

We'll be staying in the Prati district, arriving early this Saturday,
leaving next Thursday noon.

We'd like to tour Vatican city, can we arrange a tour for 3 on the day
we want to actually do the tour and if so, what highlights are a must
on that tour, who would you recommend, and what would the price be?

Get a good guidebook and walk it in your own time, the tours go
through much too quickly IMHO

Our next must see sights are the Colosseum, Forum, and Pantheon.
Any tour companys offer just these 3 stops (with actual entrance into
the sights, and if so, recommendations?). Where would we have to go to
start the tour, and what is the cost?

Again do it yourself, the Forum and Colosseum are practically
next to each other and the Pantheon is pretty central.

Take the time to walk over to Castel St Angelo as well
(also known as Hadrians Tomb) its fascinating.

Keith

Old February 25th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Iceman

We'd like to tour Vatican city, can we arrange a tour for 3 on the day
we want to actually do the tour and if so, what highlights are a must
on that tour, who would you recommend, and what would the price be?
Our next must see sights are the Colosseum, Forum, and Pantheon.
Any tour companys offer just these 3 stops (with actual entrance into
the sights, and if so, recommendations?). Where would we have to go to
start the tour, and what is the cost?

Try "Enjoy Rome" for walking tours in Rome. They have tours covering
all of the sites you mention. Probably about US $25 for each four
hour walking tour - you'd want one for the Vatican and a separate one
for the ancient sites. Add about US $10 for admission to the Vatican
Museum or the Colosseum.

If you're on a limited schedule, and you just want to see those
specific things, you might consider contacting the tourist office and
asking for a private guide.
Old February 26th, 2004, 12:19 AM
devil

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:26:00 +0000, Keith Willshaw wrote:

"MACE" wrote in message
m...
Hi Folks:

We'll be staying in the Prati district, arriving early this Saturday,
leaving next Thursday noon.

We'd like to tour Vatican city, can we arrange a tour for 3 on the day
we want to actually do the tour and if so, what highlights are a must
on that tour, who would you recommend, and what would the price be?

Get a good guidebook and walk it in your own time, the tours go
through much too quickly IMHO

I hated St Peter, talk about grandiose and tacky. Agreed that walking is
good.

Our next must see sights are the Colosseum, Forum, and Pantheon.
Any tour companys offer just these 3 stops (with actual entrance into
the sights, and if so, recommendations?). Where would we have to go to
start the tour, and what is the cost?

Again do it yourself, the Forum and Colosseum are practically
next to each other and the Pantheon is pretty central.

Fair enough. I was in Rome in November, was a Saturday to kill. Stayed
close to the Colosseum, so I went. Turned out the lineup for tickets was
huge. But then there were scalper-like folks selling "tours," which
bypassed the linup. May have been 5/10 Euros more, but well worth
skipping the line. "Tour" was minimal but it left you inside.

Take the time to walk over to Castel St Angelo as well (also known as
Hadrians Tomb) its fascinating.

Agreed. Much more than the Vatican's effort to impress. But eh, it's me
and I don't like them and their business...

(BTW, I though the pope's castle in Avignon was so much more interesting...)

Old February 26th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Tim Kroesen

Can you tell us more about this special tour; bookings and cost...

Tim K

"Jenn" wrote in message
I think a really interesting thing to do at the Vatican is the
archeological tour under St. Peters -- done in groups of about 10

[same
language speakers] and must be reserved well ahead -- and it is
important to leave plenty of time to get through St. Peter's security
first so as not to miss the reserved time because it is not

correctable.

Old February 26th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Tim Kroesen

I'm surprised considering your moniker...g

Who financed those other churches and castles BTW...

Tim K

news

Old February 26th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Jenn

"Jenn" wrote in message
I think a really interesting thing to do at the Vatican is the
archeological tour under St. Peters -- done in groups of about 10

[same
language speakers] and must be reserved well ahead -- and it is
important to leave plenty of time to get through St. Peter's security
first so as not to miss the reserved time because it is not

correctable.

book through Vatican -- it cost about 10 Euro when we did it
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:20 AM
Jenn

"MACE" wrote in message
m...
Hi Folks:

We'll be staying in the Prati district, arriving early this Saturday,
leaving next Thursday noon.

We'd like to tour Vatican city, can we arrange a tour for 3 on the day
we want to actually do the tour and if so, what highlights are a must
on that tour, who would you recommend, and what would the price be?

Get a good guidebook and walk it in your own time, the tours go
through much too quickly IMHO

I hated St Peter, talk about grandiose and tacky. Agreed that walking is
good.

yes to be sure - but also not to be missed -- many interesting and great
sights are tacky and grandiose