Lake Placid- Need Advice

Old January 11th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Chris

Default Lake Placid- Need Advice

Hello Folks,

This coming Thanksgiving week I am in the process of planning a trip
to Lake Placid, NY and would like some advice. First of all, what
does the Lake Placid area have to offer? Are there lots of shops and
restaurants? Any theaters or other entertainment venues in town?
How about accomodations? I was considering the Hilton Lake Placid
Resort. Does anyone have opinions on this hotel or others?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old January 12th, 2004, 06:08 AM
clint

Only a very lonely and demented person would voluntarily viist Lake Placid
in the winter It is very depressing! HERE"S JOHNNIE!!!!!!

Old January 12th, 2004, 10:45 PM

First, you should be aware that your server is inserting an 'n' in your
name.

To the original poster: Lake Placid is a lot of fun in winter, and you
won't be lonely there. Because of the Olympic facilities, it's a
sports-oriented town in the winter months, but it is indeed full of
restaurants and shops. Lots and lots of people, too, and they can be
interesting. Sports teams from around the world go there for both training
and competitions, and they too stay in hotels. We stayed in a hotel one
time with both the Finnish and the Canadian ski-jumping teams, and another
time with bobsledders from many countries, and once with the Russian figure
skaters.

Entertainment tends towards sports, too, and if you've never watched the
Olympic winter events up close, then Lake Placid is the place. Figure and
speed skating in town, Luge and bobsled out at Mt. Van Hoevenburg, the ski
jumps in-between. There's downhill skiing at Whiteface and cross-country
trails all over. You can skate and go tobaganning.

The Hilton is a Hilton, and nothing special. Some of the older places
around Mirror Lake fit in better with the nature of the area, but they'll
also be quirkier. There may be summer theater, I don't know, but you'll
have to entertain yourself in Lake Placid in the winter, and that's not a
hard thing to do.

Whiteface, by the way, is an aptly named mountain if you're a skier.

Old January 12th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Bob F.

"Chris" wrote in message
Hello Folks,

This coming Thanksgiving week I am in the process of planning a trip
to Lake Placid, NY and would like some advice. First of all, what
does the Lake Placid area have to offer? Are there lots of shops and
restaurants? Any theaters or other entertainment venues in town?
How about accomodations? I was considering the Hilton Lake Placid
Resort. Does anyone have opinions on this hotel or others?

Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know, but I saw a documentary once about a giant alligator that
lives in Lake Placid. You should watch your back if you are planning on
going ice skating. Stay off the ice!!!