The Serbian experience

Old March 29th, 2007, 12:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
sasha

Default The Serbian experience

We're a British family living in Serbia. We've just set up a walking
holidays business and would really appreciate any feedback you could
give us on our website and also on the whole idea of coming to Serbia
on holiday. For example, Do you think people would be reluctant to
come to Serbia because of preconceived ideas about the country? We
would appreciate your views. Please look at our website www.walkingserbia.com
and tell us what you think!! thanks Tish and Sasha

Old March 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ocelot

On Mar 29, 1:05 pm, "sasha" wrote:
We're a British family living in Serbia. We've just set up a walking
holidays business and would really appreciate any feedback you could
give us on our website and also on the whole idea of coming to Serbia
on holiday. For example, Do you think people would be reluctant to
come to Serbia because of preconceived ideas about the country? We
would appreciate your views. Please look at our websitewww.walkingserbia.com
and tell us what you think!! thanks Tish and Sasha

what is the worst thing that you have encountered in Serbia ?

Old March 29th, 2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

On 29 Mar 2007 04:05:12 -0700, sasha wrote:

We're a British family living in Serbia. We've just set up a walking
holidays business and would really appreciate any feedback you could
give us on our website and also on the whole idea of coming to Serbia
on holiday. For example, Do you think people would be reluctant to
come to Serbia because of preconceived ideas about the country? We
would appreciate your views. Please look at our website www.walkingserbia.com
and tell us what you think!! thanks Tish and Sasha

Your website looks very good - good luck with your new venture. Certainly
makes a refreshing change from all the usual overseas walking destinations.

I was in Serbia and Montenegro last October. Had a fantastic time in both
countries. Really friendly people.

Hope your venture does really well.

Kindest regards
Gerry
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Gerald Oliver Swift" kirjoitti
et...
On 29 Mar 2007 04:05:12 -0700, sasha wrote:

I was in Serbia and Montenegro last October. Had a fantastic time in both
countries. Really friendly people.

Absolutely. They just have this nasty habit to mass murder their neighbours.

Old March 29th, 2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lars[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:40:29 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

Absolutely. They just have this nasty habit to mass murder their neighbours.

Exactly! And then denying the whole affair, even though there is lots
of evidence, and many witnesses.

I can not imagine a European country I would be less likely to visit.

Nice website though. What are those "blinking lights" in the foresty
hill? Snipers?

Lars
Stockholm
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_28_]

wrote:

Absolutely. They just have this nasty habit to mass murder their

neighbours.

Exactly! And then denying the whole affair, even though there is lots
of evidence, and many witnesses.

I can not imagine a European country I would be less likely to visit.

Nice website though. What are those "blinking lights" in the foresty
hill? Snipers?

One thing that you have to understand about the inhabitants of the Balkans
is that they are mostly backwards, stupid, and uncivlised, e.g. they are
akin to US hillbillies or rednecks (and they share a criminal mentality with
their cousins the Russians). The exception are the Slovenes, who have a
mentality more attuned to that of Central/Western Europe; they have no
moronic millenia - old ethnic - religious grudge matches going on with
anybody. That's why Slovenia is a pleasant and modern place, a real credit
to the EU, and also a nice touristic destination...

--
Best
Greg

Old March 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_28_]

wrote:

Absolutely. They just have this nasty habit to mass murder their

neighbours.

Exactly! And then denying the whole affair, even though there is lots
of evidence, and many witnesses.

It's still shocking to me that this happened in 1990's Europe...

I can not imagine a European country I would be less likely to visit.

Yes, about as pleasant as visiting Nazi Germany, Al Capone's 1930's Chicago,
or Hoxha's Albania...the Serbs are a *real* bunch of goonish thugs!

Nice website though. What are those "blinking lights" in the foresty
hill? Snipers?

Lol...

--
Best
Greg

Old March 30th, 2007, 01:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob[_5_]

On Mar 29, 10:37 am, Gerald Oliver Swift wrote:
[...]

I travelled to Serbia in 2005 with 32 high school students from Nova
Scotia Canada. The expedition was to attend a youth-driven conference
on peaceful conflict resolution sponsored by Peaceful Schools
International.

The reasoning behind doing this in Serbia is that people like some of
the followup posters in this thread consider that country to be "the
Bully of the Balkans", the most ridiculous place to hold a peace
conference, and a lost cause.

What happened is that we connected with several schools from Backa
Palanka to Nis and in each one there was an overwhelming desire to
work in the school toteach children positive and creative conflict
resolution.

The teachers, parents and students were hungry for it. The average
Serb is in survival mode now, earning pittance and just trying to live
a normal life. We were treated like royalty. They were so happy to
have some folks chose to come see them for this project; to treat them
as they really are, normal average people with the same wants and
needs as us.

The war crimes were atrocicious, but they were the product of a regime
and an army, not of the general population.

Serbia is an amazing place to go, full of rich culture and resilient
people hungry for visitors. Good luck with your venture.

Cheers,
John

Old March 30th, 2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"sasha" ha scritto nel messaggio
oups.com...
We're a British family living in Serbia. We've just set up a walking
holidays business and would really appreciate any feedback you could
give us on our website and also on the whole idea of coming to Serbia
on holiday. For example, Do you think people would be reluctant to
come to Serbia because of preconceived ideas about the country? We
would appreciate your views. Please look at our website
www.walkingserbia.com
and tell us what you think!! thanks Tish and Sasha

we are in Serbia about every 2 or 3 months for business
and we never had problems.
There is only a lack of money and of jobs. even if recently the economical
situation is bettereing from day to day.
Most of the Serbians were against the Milosevic regime. and still have to
pay for it.
I guess Serbia qualifies to join Europe more than Rumania and Bulgaria did.