Transit visa needed for SGN?

Old April 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default Transit visa needed for SGN?

We are US citizens with US passports. Our travel agent is proposing
that we connect in Ho Chi Minh City to get from Kuala Lumpur to Siem
Rep. Would we need Vietnamese visas for this itinerary? I could not
find useful guidance on the web site for the Vietnamese embassy in the
US.
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Gerald Oliver Swift

wrote in message
We are US citizens with US passports. Our travel agent is proposing
that we connect in Ho Chi Minh City to get from Kuala Lumpur to Siem
Rep. Would we need Vietnamese visas for this itinerary? I could not
find useful guidance on the web site for the Vietnamese embassy in the
US.

You need a new travel agent!
Both AirAsia and Malaysia fly direct from KL to Siem Reap. Why a connection
in HCMC?

Gerry

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 9:22*am, "Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:
Why a connection
in HCMC?

Good qustion. It looks like the fare on VN is US$329+taxes+fees, so
this probably is not the low-cost carrier. Even so, with the visa
issue and the extra time to make a connection, it might be worth
paying more to fly on one of the other air lines.

Old April 7th, 2011, 05:57 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 17:22:54 +0100, "Gerald Oliver Swift"
wrote:

wrote in message
We are US citizens with US passports. Our travel agent is proposing
that we connect in Ho Chi Minh City to get from Kuala Lumpur to Siem
Rep. Would we need Vietnamese visas for this itinerary? I could not
find useful guidance on the web site for the Vietnamese embassy in the
US.

You need a new travel agent!
Both AirAsia and Malaysia fly direct from KL to Siem Reap. Why a connection
in HCMC?

He definitely does need a new travel agent. It took me a few seconds
to look up the following information on TIMATIC. I don't know why any
travel agent couldn't have done the same thing.

07APR11 / 0555 UTC
National USA (US) /Embarkation Malaysia (MY)
Transit Viet Nam (VN) /Destination Cambodia (KH)

[Visa Information - Transit] Viet Nam (VN)

[Information For Normal Passports]
TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Those continuing their journey on
the same day and provided holding confirmed return or onward
tickets. Leaving the airport transit area is not allowed.

Old April 15th, 2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Apr 6, 9:22*am, "Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:
You need a new travel agent!

Our agent knew and confirmed that we would not need a visa since we
were only transiting through SGN. At the time, I could not contact
him, and I did not see an explicit statement on the web site for the
VN embassy.

Both AirAsia and Malaysia fly direct from KL to Siem Reap. Why a connection
in HCMC?

I got outvoted, and we will stay with VN because it is a better match
to other things in our schedule. AirAsia has one direct flight per
day that leaves too early for our group. Malaysia does not fly KUL-
REP that day or the next. But thanks for the information, since it
helped us make a more informed choice.