moderate climates - low energy bills

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tim923[_2_]

Default moderate climates - low energy bills

What are the east coast states/areas that require the lease amount of
air-conditioning and heat? What about the whole country.

I lived in Brevard County, Florida. I loved the climate, but the AC sure
ran a lot of the time.

Old August 19th, 2010, 05:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

Tim923 wrote:
What are the east coast states/areas that require the lease amount of
air-conditioning and heat? What about the whole country.

Don't know about the east coast. As for the rest of the country,
probably coastal WA, OR, northern CA, and the Alaska panhandle. I live
just north of WA in Vancouver BC. Most homes here, including mine, do
not have air conditioning. Temperature inside the house has hovered
between 21c and 24c (70-75F) all summer without any climate control on.

As for the winter, outside temperatures tend to hover a few degrees
above freezing for the whole season. Thus, heating the house isn't
nearly as expensive as other parts of the country that go into a deep
freeze all winter.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:06:49 -0400, "Tim923"
wrote:

What are the east coast states/areas that require the lease amount of
air-conditioning and heat? What about the whole country.

I lived in Brevard County, Florida. I loved the climate, but the AC sure
ran a lot of the time.

The California Coast has a moderate Mediterreanean climate, with
cool summers and moderate winters. There are quite a few
localities that might fit your requirements, including the South
Bay of San Francisco Bay; I've seen it claimed that the bayside
peninsula from about Mountain View north to San Bruno has about
teh best climate in the world. I worked in Palo Alto for some
fourteen years and it only had a mild freeze once (a skin of ice
on some puddles).

Santa Barbara is nice, too.

The coast has dry summers, with barely any rainfall at all. There
is coastal fog in the summers along the coast, though, and a
marine cloud layer that makes it a bit grey during mornings.

Winters have intermittent rains storms moving in off the coast,
and it can be a bit cool. Typically, the SF Bay Are might have
nightly lows of 45F and highs of 55F. Further south you can jack
those figures up five or ten degrees.

you have to be careful of the mini-climates, though. Everything
I've mentioned so far is strictly alont the coast as far back as
the coast range of mountains. In the SF area once you get east of
the Berkeley Hills, summer temps of over 100F are common even
though San Francisco, only twenty miles west has a high of about
65F, making it quite a change for commuters on BART as teh travel
from SF to Walnut Creek.

San Francisco itself is a special case, along with Some coastal
areas to the south. I lived in Daly City and Pacifica for some
sicteen years, and we never turned off our heater because it was
chilly and humid.

On the other hand, air conditioned homes are kind of rare along
the Calfornia coast.

Old August 19th, 2010, 06:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tim923[_2_]

Thanks. I'm curious what it is like on the east coast. I'm not moving,
just curious. We've had a lot of days in the 90s with heat indexes 100+
here in North Carolina this summer. Someone mentioned Maryland to me.

Old August 20th, 2010, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dymphna[_38_]

We in the north get it in reverse when the heater kicks in.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old August 21st, 2010, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ed Treijs[_2_]

On Aug 18, 6:06*pm, "Tim923" wrote:
What are the east coast states/areas that require the lease amount of
air-conditioning and heat? *What about the whole country.

Well, A/C is unnecessary in Newfoundland. But although it never gets
really cold in places like St. John's, neither does it get warm enough
to do without heat.

I'm not sure that there is any really good minimum-energy location on
the east side of North America. It's hard to get out of the summer
heat and humidity, and the winters can be ferocious even where it's
hot and humid during the summer. That's what happens when you have an
entire continent upwind of you.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:09 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tim923[_2_]

How about central US? I know it can get very cold there.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:06:49 -0400, Tim923 wrote:
What are the east coast states/areas that require the lease amount of
air-conditioning and heat? What about the whole country.

I lived in Brevard County, Florida. I loved the climate, but the AC sure
ran a lot of the time.

Probably a coastal area would have the mildest seasonal changes, like
the bay area in california. Expect to pay a twenty times more due to
the area's desirability than any energy bill.

A well insulated house can really cut down on energy bills.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tim923[_2_]

That's funny.

I've also lived in a part of Upstate NY. Heating was high, but it was a
cheap place to live because of non-desirability. No perfect place to live.

Old August 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

"Tim923" wrote:

No perfect place to live.

Hawaii?