Wifi in USA hotels?

Old February 5th, 2011, 04:33 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

Default Wifi in USA hotels?

During my imminent holiday in California I want to be sure that I'll get
my daily fix of wifi access from my iPad. Some of the hotels I've browsed
explicitly refer to 'free wifi', which is fine (although I also need to be
sure I can get it in my room, not just in a limited public area).

But many just say 'High-speed Internet access'. Do I assume that is *not*
wifi, but plug-in sockets for laptops/notebooks, or maybe even just a
fixed PC or two?

Are there any particular hotel chains that are noted for free wifi
throughout the hotel?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Hatunen

On Sat, 05 Feb 2011 15:33:54 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

During my imminent holiday in California I want to be sure that I'll get
my daily fix of wifi access from my iPad. Some of the hotels I've
browsed explicitly refer to 'free wifi', which is fine (although I also
need to be sure I can get it in my room, not just in a limited public
area).

But many just say 'High-speed Internet access'. Do I assume that is
*not* wifi, but plug-in sockets for laptops/notebooks, or maybe even
just a fixed PC or two?

You'd have to inquire of each hotel as to the exact meaning, but these
days Internet connectivity is generally available in the rooms
themselves. Personally, given the choice of wi-fi in my room and ethernet
cable, I'll take the cable, especially if I don't know which wi-fi is
available (b, g, or n). Among other things, probably less chance of
someone intercepting my signals.

But I see you have an iPad; I doubt it has a T-10/100 connector, so...

I've been in hotels where wi-fi was available in one part of the hotel
but cable in another.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Arizona, out where the cacti grow
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Bert Hyman

In Terry Pinnell
wrote:

During my imminent holiday in California I want to be sure that I'll
get my daily fix of wifi access from my iPad. Some of the hotels I've
browsed explicitly refer to 'free wifi', which is fine (although I
also need to be sure I can get it in my room, not just in a limited
public area).

But many just say 'High-speed Internet access'. Do I assume that is
*not* wifi, but plug-in sockets for laptops/notebooks, or maybe even
just a fixed PC or two?

You could always pack a cheap wireless access point, just in case only
hard-wired connections are available.

As a plus, this would allow you to set up an encrypted wireless link.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD[_3_]

In message Terry Pinnell
was claimed to have wrote:

During my imminent holiday in California I want to be sure that I'll get
my daily fix of wifi access from my iPad. Some of the hotels I've browsed
explicitly refer to 'free wifi', which is fine (although I also need to be
sure I can get it in my room, not just in a limited public area).

But many just say 'High-speed Internet access'. Do I assume that is *not*
wifi, but plug-in sockets for laptops/notebooks, or maybe even just a
fixed PC or two?

Are there any particular hotel chains that are noted for free wifi
throughout the hotel?

Honestly, no. There's no consistency or reliability when it comes to
either the definitions of the service, or the service itself.

Main chains offer free wifi across their entire chain (Holiday Inn
Express, I believe), and this will typically include the entire hotel
not just the lobby. However, the quality of signal varies so
significantly within the hotel that you have no guarantee of getting a
usable signal in your room, and hotels don't seem to care much when the
signal isn't usable. Similarly, even if wifi is down for days or weeks
at a time, it's rarely a priority for the hotel.

You can always request a room near the lobby to increase your odds of
having a usable signal (and a noisier hallway)

Calling in advance is the only way to find out what a hotel means by
"High-speed Internet Access"

In my wanderings I've found that, oddly, smaller motels and non-chain
hotels seem to do better for having functional service, at least for
those that offer wifi at all.

Also, a surprising number still have wired ethernet in the rooms and
often the staff don't even know about it, they just assume everyone will
use wireless. If you bring your own access point and ethernet cable (A
AirPort Express can be preconfigured to go online automatically, for
example) you may have better luck using your own wifi hotspot than the
hotel's wireless network.

Honestly though, for an iPad, I'd highly recommend using 3G. Drop by
any AT&T store and buy a SIM for $10ish and sign up, just be sure to
cancel the plan before you leave the country (assuming your iPad has 3G
support)
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
During my imminent holiday in California I want to be sure that I'll get
my daily fix of wifi access from my iPad. Some of the hotels I've browsed
explicitly refer to 'free wifi', which is fine (although I also need to be
sure I can get it in my room, not just in a limited public area).

But many just say 'High-speed Internet access'. Do I assume that is *not*
wifi, but plug-in sockets for laptops/notebooks, or maybe even just a
fixed PC or two?

Are there any particular hotel chains that are noted for free wifi
throughout the hotel?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

My experience when travelling in the US (and Canada) is that the vast
majority of mid market and even many of the cheaper motels and hotels offer
wi-fi throughout the hotel and rooms. Surprisingly (perhaps) it's some of
the more expensive properties that provide the service at a charge.

In Yukon and Alaska last Summer a couple of places only had it in the lobby
and one motel on Vancouver Island only offered wired internet but I consider
them to have been exceptions.

If by chance you choose somewhere that doesn't offer service you'll find
that (as in the UK) many fast food joints and coffee shops offer
connectivity.

In recent years I've stayed in Best Western, Holiday Inn Express, Holiday
Inn, Ramada, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Super 8, Residence Inn, Quality
Inn, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, Days Inn, Embassy Suites, La Quinta and some
independents. The only place where internet has been completely missing
has tended to be in National Parks.

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Tim923[_3_]

"Terry Pinnell"
During my imminent holiday in California I want to be sure that I'll get
my daily fix of wifi access from my iPad. Some of the hotels I've browsed
explicitly refer to 'free wifi', which is fine (although I also need to be
sure I can get it in my room, not just in a limited public area).

This makes me think of the time when Internet and cell phones were luxuries
and not necessities. I remember in the early days of my Internet connection
I could post my email address all over the Internet without getting spam.

Old February 6th, 2011, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011 20:33:37 -0500, "Tim923"
wrote:

.... I remember in the early days of my Internet connection
I could post my email address all over the Internet without getting spam.

In the *really* early Internet days, all our addresses were printed in
one book like a telephone book, less than a half-inch thick. I still
have a copy...

Wonder if it'd sell on ebay? 8

-- Larry

Old February 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Pinnell[_3_]

"Graham Harrison" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks all, appreciate those very helpful replies.

Re that excellent suggestion about a 3G microsim for my iPad, I've asked
my son if it's possible to get me one in advance of my arrival. I'll need
about 16 days worth. Not sure what that would cost, but presumably more
than '$10ish'?

I expect I'll be in Southern California, maybe going NE into the desert
and maybe several national parks. I guess I can expect patchy or
non-existent coverage there?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old February 9th, 2011, 02:17 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

It varies a lot, and I'm not sure you can really make generic
statements about it unless a website for either the chain or the
specific property makes it explicit. Many hotels (especially high-
rise ones) have Wi-Fi in public areas but only hardwired Internet in
the sleeping rooms, simply because the geometry and construction style
makes it difficult to have Wi-Fi throughout. Others (including most
motels that offer such services at all) have Wi-Fi everywhere.

I'd say that the term "high-speed Internet" (or equally "broadband")
doesn't imply much about your question.

Whether the Internet access (wired or not) will be free is another
question. In my experience, the trend is toward free high-speed
Internet in the room at chain motels and the more humble hotels; the
fancy joints downtown or near the convention center are the ones that
want $10 a day for it, above and beyond the room rate you're already
paying.

Expect that the place where you sit in the room will make a big
difference in Wi-Fi signal strength. (Of course, that's true at home
and at work too.)

If you have a Wi-Fi-only device and the room has only hardwired
Ethernet, you might be able to make do with an inexpensive wireless
router (for maximum versatility, choose a router that can be
configured from a wireless device -- I don't have this problem since I
travel with a laptop with a hardwired Ethernet jack and thus find it
easy to configure the router). There are "travel routers" made to be
small and convenient in this sort of use, in ways that you don't care
about at home.

--Joe
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
DevilsPGD[_3_]

In message Terry Pinnell
was claimed to have wrote:

Thanks all, appreciate those very helpful replies.

Re that excellent suggestion about a 3G microsim for my iPad, I've asked
my son if it's possible to get me one in advance of my arrival. I'll need
about 16 days worth. Not sure what that would cost, but presumably more
than '$10ish'?

$10-$15 was the range when I snagged one on my last trip into the US. I
don't have the receipt handy, but my budget was $15+applicable taxes
just to have it on-hand for future trips.

AT&T will want the iPad's serial number and whatever, but they'll sell
the SIM without it (or at least that was my experience)