Washington DC and New York airports choice (USA)

Old June 16th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Roger B.

Default Washington DC and New York airports choice (USA)

"Miguel Cruz" wrote...
It's not "prejudice" (can someone be prejudiced
against an airport?)

Yes, one can be prejudiced against anything. Example: I am
prejudiced against Kansas. The most boring state there is. [R]

Old June 17th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Miguel Cruz

Juliana L Holm wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
It's not "prejudice" (can someone be prejudiced against an airport?) - I
think I can make a pretty rational case that Dulles is the world's worst
airport. Things may be different for you, since you live in Alexandria,
in which case not all of the difficult-to-get-there issues apply (but the
awful-once-you-are-there ones remain). But the traveler in question wants
to go to/from DC.

When I went to Italy in early May I took the Metro to Rosslyn and the new Metro
bus (well not really new, bu t new to me) route to Dulles and it was fairly
easy to do. At least as easy as the much more expensive Washington Flyer.

That bus is indeed pretty painless (it's the same one that starts at L'Enfant
Plaza); its principal problems are with scheduling. It runes once per hour -
beastly if you're trying to make a flight and haven't had time to
synchronize your whole day - and it stops pretty early in the evening - I
think around 10pm.

On the other hand the first run is early enough to make an 8am flight with
time to spare.

miguel
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Juliana L Holm

Miguel Cruz wrote:
When I went to Italy in early May I took the Metro to Rosslyn and the new Metro
bus (well not really new, bu t new to me) route to Dulles and it was fairly
easy to do. At least as easy as the much more expensive Washington Flyer.

That bus is indeed pretty painless (it's the same one that starts at L'Enfant
Plaza); its principal problems are with scheduling. It runes once per hour -
beastly if you're trying to make a flight and haven't had time to
synchronize your whole day - and it stops pretty early in the evening - I
think around 10pm.

This is true. I had a 5:30 international flight, so I was able to work
around the schedule.

I can hope that enough people will use it (it was full when I was on it, with
standers, and lots of people working at the Airport seem to use it) that it
will end up growing into more and more busses.

--
Julie
**********
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Hallvard Tangeraas

(Mark Brader) wrote in message ...
Hallvard Tangeraas:
| So, how do I get from one of the central locations in NY to JFK?
| I think I might be staying at one of the Chelsea hostels in Manhattan
| if they have rooms available. ...

"Pan":
You'll have to make at least one change, at the airport train to the
subway station. Then depending where you go in Manhattan you might
need to make changes again. You'll be on the A train from JFK to
the city and that takes you to the West side, up 8th Ave.

Thanks, but I'm a little confused -there are so many stations, trains
and airports in all of these discussions, so let me clear things up a
little as I've done the final rebooking of my ticket....

It looks like getting from/to Vancouver and Washington DC Reagan
airports will be fairly easy (I hope I'm right, but I'll find that out
soon enough as I'm off to Vancouver tomorrow), but I need some help
with New York.

I'll be flying from Vancouver (via Toronto) into New York LaGuardia.
I've booked into Chelsea international hostel at 251 West 20th Street.
What would be the best way to get there (and preferrably without
spending a fortune, being the budget traveller that I am)?
The hostel website didn't give any directions, and so far they haven't
replied my email where I ask about this.

Then, when leaving New York for Switzerland I'll be going from New
York JFK.
I guess I'll follow those instructions you and Pan have given me to
get to that airport.

Hallvard
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:44 PM
Mark Brader

Hallvard Tangeraas:
I'll be flying from Vancouver (via Toronto) into New York LaGuardia.
I've booked into Chelsea international hostel at 251 West 20th Street.
What would be the best way to get there (and preferrably without
spending a fortune, being the budget traveller that I am)?

Rita:
Here is the cheapest way, if you don't have more luggage than you
can manage on public transportation.

Take the Q33 Bus to Last Stop, Take "E" Train to 23rd Street

That is, the E train *in the direction of Manhattan*.

walk to 20th street, Left turn, house # 251

This is a very easy trip. Very short walk to the hostel once you exit the
subway at 23rd Street and 8th Avenue.

I agree that this is the best choice. An alternative is the New York
Airport Service express bus from the airport into Manhattan, but this
costs $10 and it doesn't go as near the hostel, so you'd either have a
walk with your luggage, or you'd pay another $2 for a short subway or
bus ride.

Then, when leaving New York for Switzerland I'll be going from New
York JFK.

Okay, if you want to use the subway, at 23rd and 8th go to the Downtown
(which means southbound) side of the station and ride any train for one
stop to 14th. At this point cross to the other side of the same platform
and wait for an A train that is going to any Rockaway destination (not
Lefferts Blvd).

Of course, you can skip the change of train by walking south along 8th
Avenue from the hostel to the station at 14th, instead of north to 23rd.

In any case, once on the correct A train, ride it to "Howard Beach -
JFK Airport" station. This is a long ride, 27 stops if I count correctly.
Then change to the AirTrain, paying $5 more, for the short ride into the
airport.

Considering your starting location, this is probably more convenient than
the Long Island Rail Road option or the New York Airport Service bus, for
either of which you would first have to get to from Penn Station; and the
subway is cheaper too. (The LIRR might be faster if you just catch a train.)
--
Mark Brader "Relax -- I know the procedures backwards."
Toronto "Yeah, well, that's a quick way to get killed."

Old June 25th, 2004, 07:09 PM

Amidst all the responses about5 ariports and ground conections, your
question about "Chelsea hotels" has been overlooked.

Do you have a specific hotel in mind or are you asking about the
sutiability of the Chelsea neighborhood for enjoying NYC?

If it's the latter, and while some may not share my opinon, I think
Chelsea is well situated for a visitor. First of all, it as convenient
as any while sparing you the excesive costs of lodging and food in the
popular areas around Times Square where many tourists are moths to its
flame.

Chelsea, depending on exaclty where you stay, is either one or two
subway stops from Times Square but rooms are much cheaper, the
restuarants are better and less expoensive - and it's more of a
genuine New York neighborhood than Times Square.

Finally, you mentioned that you are backpacking - so you may wish to
consider the Youth Hostel on Amsterdam Ave. It is, for travelers in
that budget class, a great bargain, safe and freindly. It's on the
Upper West Side, but in a differnet but also interesting NYC
neighborhood.

CaribeJoe - Moderator
Non-commercial My Caribbean.Info Forums
Free Caribbean Destination Directories
Free advice from Travel Writers
Post your own trip reports and photos
Hotel and Air Deals and Rough Guide Reports
http://www.mycaribbean.info
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Rita

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:09:00 GMT, wrote:

[...]

For anyone who is interested in contemporary art, there are many
galleries one can visit free in Chelsea -- cutting edge stuff. They
are located (most of them) from 20th Street to 24th Street between
10th and 11th Avenues. You just walk in and browse. Listings
are carried in free publications such as the Village Voice.
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Hai,

we provide best deals in Washington DC, best online deals. Our deals offer best discounts on beauty spa treatments Sign up now for a new deal every day. Looking for natural and beneficial technique for hair removal?? Here comes the band aid for your theme. New Look Day Spa and Laser are having expertise people dealing with this technique.

for more details:

https://www.newlookdeals.com/
Address: 201 Elden St, Suite #203, Herndon, VA 20170
Customer Enqui
.