deducting cost of cruise for tax purposes?

Old December 30th, 2010, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Stefan Patric[_3_]

Default deducting cost of cruise for tax purposes?

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:51:46 -0500, Bill wrote:

On 12/29/2010 12:19 PM, Ohioguy wrote:

The only reason I ask is that I do freelance writing, and my editor
just asked me to do a couple of stories with a short deadline. (for a
magazine) It looks like I may end up doing the bulk of the writing on
the cruise - when I can finally get some time away from changing
diapers, and taking care of kids.

Is that sort of thing enough - having an article, and proof of payment,
along with a deadline that is shortly after the cruise date?

Unless your editor called and asked you to write articles about
cruising, there is no way that you're going to be able to justify this.
If there was even a remote chance that it would work, seeing that you
booked and paid for your cruise before you even had the assignments
would be a clear sign of tax fraud.

Actually, you're wrong. At least, partially. The OP would be able to
write off part of his part of the cruise. All he'd have to do is
research (interviews, observations, etc.) with the intention of writing
articles on cruising or about cruising or traveling, in general, or even
bios on interesting travelers he met, etc. It doesn't matter whether the
articles get written or even sold. The research is still considered
"business" related. He would have to have notes (written or taped) of
his research to justify the write-off, if ever audited by the IRS. (If
his traveling companion was a partner in his business or helped with the
research in some way as in taking notes, editing the notes, and so forth,
he could write off a percentage of that person's trip costs, too.)

I'm a professional photographer, and for 30+ years wrote off at least 50%
of my share of all non-business related vacations, trips, etc. All I had
to do to qualify the write off was take photographs that were added to my
stock library. The IRS never contested any of those write offs. Now, I
don't sit on the beach drinking Mai-Tais the whole time. I do shoot.
For example, on a 7 night/8 day vacation (a real one, not an assignment)
to Hawai'i, The Big Island, I shot about 1500 exposures--not many,
professionally speaking. Most were done over a 3 consecutive day
whirlwind car tour that I wrote off 100%--car rental, gas, food, lodging,
etc.--since it was taken specifically for photographic purposes. Of
course, everything was thoroughly documented for tax purposes.

Stef
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 12/30/10 4:25 PM, Stefan Patric wrote:

[...]

The other way I believe he could write off some of a cruise expense is
if it was transportation to something specifically work related. Like
if he did a Transatlantic crossing to do some business in Europe.

But again... the best thing he could do is ask a tax expert.

--Tom

Old December 31st, 2010, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 12/30/2010 4:25 PM, Stefan Patric wrote:
[...]

I agree that it's possible to write it off if he does things properly.
However, his rationale for asking about the deduction was based on this
new assignment he got, which had nothing about cruising. He said nothing
about working on a future story about a cruise.

Bill
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Mark (SF)

Default As Always, Ask a Professional!

I suspect that next week, Ohioguy will have a health issue and will
then post asking internet strangers if he should delay elective
surgery until after the cruise.

First - with quite an extensive list of criteria, he asked what to do
(Ask a professional TA - it's his job)
Now - a tax law question (Ask a professional tax lawyer or accountant
- it's his job)
....and should the elective surgery question come up - ask a doctor,
it's his job.

Mark
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:26 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 12/30/2010 6:57 PM, Mark (SF) wrote:
I suspect that next week, Ohioguy will have a health issue and will
then post asking internet strangers if he should delay elective
surgery until after the cruise.

First - with quite an extensive list of criteria, he asked what to do
(Ask a professional TA - it's his job)
Now - a tax law question (Ask a professional tax lawyer or accountant
- it's his job)
...and should the elective surgery question come up - ask a doctor,
it's his job.

Mark

I wasn't going to sling the first arrow, but this fellow had to come
here to get advice from a Usenet group as to what cruise to take, where
to stay, how to fly there, how early to get to the embarkation point,
etc. In order for him to sell it as a business trip, shouldn't he know
something about what he is doing before hand?

If he dos get a write-off, he should share it with everyone here who has
been holding his hand. g

JMTCW

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Bill
wrote:

I agree that it's possible to write it off if he does things properly.
However, his rationale for asking about the deduction was based on this
new assignment he got, which had nothing about cruising. He said nothing
about working on a future story about a cruise.

If you put this question in the context of the other questions Ohioguy
has asked..... I would not take this question....any of his previous
questions, or anything he has posted seriously.....

--
Charles
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:57 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

Janet,

You left out his question regarding tipping! LOL

I believe he wanted to hand out coin instead of bills.

Old December 31st, 2010, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 12/30/2010 8:57 PM, Carol Eskra wrote:
Janet,

You left out his question regarding tipping! LOL

I believe he wanted to hand out coin instead of bills.

And still was, last we heard!
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 12/30/2010 7:57 PM, Carol Eskra wrote:
Janet,

You left out his question regarding tipping! LOL

I believe he wanted to hand out coin instead of bills.

That's right! I forgot that one. That was really funny.

Old December 31st, 2010, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 12/30/2010 8:09 PM, Bill wrote:
On 12/30/2010 8:57 PM, Carol Eskra wrote:
Janet,

You left out his question regarding tipping! LOL

I believe he wanted to hand out coin instead of bills.

And still was, last we heard!

OMG! I'm glad I'm not one of the crew on that ship!

I'm a published writer, so I'm coming from a place of some credibility
here. There is no way any one of the magazines I wrote for or even ones
I querried would accept an article from someone who had no knowledge
about the subject they were writing about.

Even if it is a story from a first time cruiser, it would not be genuine
because he did some research here and most certainly would not credit us
as sources or even lowly footnotes g