Royal Caribb or Princess

Old December 24th, 2004, 08:30 AM
GigiK

Default Royal Caribb or Princess

Hello, All. Mainly just like to come and read because we love cruising.
We've been on three (a low number for those experts out there!)--Royal
Majesty twice when it was brand new (I think it's with Norwegian now and has
been added on to) and Sun Princess. Loved them all but Princess was
absolutely wonderful!

I know it has to have been argued to bits and pieces, but I did scroll back
about two months and didn't see it talked about. I've been reading the
reviews from several of the cruise review sites and there seems to be a
general consensus that RC has somewhat more activities for families and
people who are active and Princess has enough activities to keep you busy
but a more relaxed atmosphere. The sticking point for me is that most
people except first-time cruisers seem to be saying that RC's food ranges
from fair to awful. One person even said the food was better at Wendy's.
Almost all the people who thought the food was bad still enjoyed their
cruise, just not the food.

We had wanted to go on RC the next time we were able to go on a cruise, but
I have to say that if the food in general and especially the Windjammer food
court is as bad at breakfast and lunch as most people felt, I would be
hugely disappointed. Generally speaking I wouldn't say I was hard to
please--I hate Appleby's because all their food tastes frozen to me, but I
love Longhorn Steakhouse. I like eating at chain restaurants for the
consistency of their menus, so I'm not expecting haute cuisine, but good,
well-prepared food that tastes fresh and good.

If you're sick to death of this topic (and I still enjoy reading about
people asking what to wear on formal night!) then please just ignore it, but
if you've been on both or have a strong opinion then I would really
appreciate the help. I just don't want to spend thousands of dollars (a
good value I know but still a lot of money) and be disappointed by
carelessly prepared unappetizing food for a week.

Thanks for any input you care to give,
Gigi

Old December 24th, 2004, 02:19 PM
ArleneL

Short answer - Princess over Royal Carib. We've done RC 4 times, Princess 19.
Princess wins in all depts.

Arlene

Old December 24th, 2004, 02:29 PM
Tom & Linda

Having just gotten back from Jewel of the Seas, and having done Navigator a
year ago, I'm in disagreement with those who say the buffet food is bad. I
found the buffet food for breakfast and lunch to be exceptionally good on
these last two sailings. It was the dinner food in the dining room that I
was most disappointed in on several nights.

--Tom

Old December 24th, 2004, 06:11 PM
GigiK

Thanks for that. You are in agreement with the majority of reviewers. They
didn't especially like the dining room food either as-just as you noted-they
found only a few selections palatable, but found the breakfast and buffet
usually cold and unappetizing in different ways (low variety; cold, soggy
eggs; undercooked meats, poor traffic control; etc.). Somewhat childish I
know, but meals are huge chunk of your time, and it would spoil the trip
somewhat to be that disappointed. What I love about cruising is being on
the ocean and the ship itself. The ports I like best are simply the
reserved beaches for some water activities and hanging out on the beach for
awhile.

And I hope I clicked the correct button for responding to this post and
haven't sent everyone an email.

Gigi

Old December 24th, 2004, 06:28 PM
GigiK

Thanks, Arlene,

Your numbers say it all. We did absolutely love Princess, but thought it
would be nice to try different lines until I started looking at the reviews.
We want to spend our limited vacation funds as wisely as possible. It's not
as if we can just try it again next year if we didn't enjoy the ship. We
roll with disappointments well on vacations, but want to plan as well as we
can. It isn't as if one bad meal would ruin a vacation, but if you know
that an area is one that is important to you, then it's wiser to choose your
vacation with that in mind.

We're active (biking and camping) but not athletic (no marathons or 100 mile
primitive hiking trips), so the the atmosphere and experience on the ship is
the most important to us, including pleasant mealtimes. We're planning to
go to Alaska on our next cruise in the next couple of years.

Gigi

Old December 24th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Susette405

i have been on 12 Royals and 2 Princess
Royals food is not as good as it was years ago BUT none of the cruise lines are
as good as we once knew. Except for Carnival which has improved. RCCL
alternative dining at Portofinos and Chops is marvelous, we had some from our
group ate the Windjammer 5 nights and said they really enjoyed it alot more
then they even expected, I think the Lunches gor better in windjammer then in
previous years esp on the newer ships. the BBQ was good too BUt The dinners in
my opinion were so so but the experience of a RCCL ship in activities adn all
that was wonderful. Princess is for a little older set which is not bad, My
secoind choice over RCCL is Princess

Susette
Join us on our Annual Group Cruise 04Dec05 Mariner of the Seas!
Check out our website: www.cruiseoutlets.com
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:23 PM
Surfer E2468

PRINCESS,by all means
surfer e2468

Old December 24th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Bush

Appleby's is frozen food, they only need to heat it...no prep work and
besides their stock sucks.

Have a great one!

Bush