Bahia Principe Tulum advice?

Old May 24th, 2004, 07:59 PM

Default Bahia Principe Tulum advice?

Im going to Bahia Principe Tulum for 4 nights over July 4

Ive NEVER been to Caribbean at all... and will also be taking my 18 yr
old nephew with me as a graduation present from high school. He has
never seen any ocean before.

having said that....any advice or opinion on above resort?

Maybe a list of things to pack and take with me?
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:19 AM
BH

wrote in message
Im going to Bahia Principe Tulum for 4 nights over July 4

Ive NEVER been to Caribbean at all... and will also be taking my 18 yr
old nephew with me as a graduation present from high school. He has
never seen any ocean before.

having said that....any advice or opinion on above resort?

Maybe a list of things to pack and take with me?

Try your request here...

http://mytravelboard4.com/playa/

Old May 26th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Brian K

On 05/24/2004 2:59 PM plucked Senior Frog's Magic
Twanger and said:

Im going to Bahia Principe Tulum for 4 nights over July 4

Ive NEVER been to Caribbean at all... and will also be taking my 18 yr
old nephew with me as a graduation present from high school. He has
never seen any ocean before.

having said that....any advice or opinion on above resort?

Maybe a list of things to pack and take with me?

Sunblock SPF 30 and above depending on how fair your skin is. First aid
items like a few band aids, aspirin, etc. Dress for warm weather, lots
of shorts, t-shirts, sandals. Some beaches are 100% sandy while others
have rocks and coral fragments in the water. Just in case pack surf
mocs / water slippers to protect your. There is usually an ATM
somewhere, so bring your ATM bankcard. Funds are withdrawn in Mexican
Pesos, you usually get a better currency exchange that way. Most places
in Mexico will take VISA, Mastercharge, Amex, but not Discovercard. US
Dollars are accepted most places.

While the A. I. may tell you that tipping is not required. It is still
appreciated. Tip the person who carries your luggage to your room. At
the end of your stay, envelopes will be provided for housekeeping, and
your wait staff. Most people tip a percentage of the total cost of
their stay (hotel room bill). If you are short on funds, even a $10.00
bill for housekeeping and one for wait staff will be appreciated. Sort
of figure out what you plan to tip and set that aside, so you don't
spend it elsewhere.

Swimming in the Caribbean will spoil you for any beach in more northern
locations. The water is mostly clear, azure blue-green, and usually
between 72F - 78F. There's no "getting used to it" just step right in.
The hotel pool may actually feel a little colder. Jellyfish may be the
only worry and not all the time. Just in case, bring some Adolph's Meat
Tenderizer, that and human urine will take the sting out of a jellyfish
bite. Most of the time if you see one you can "push" it away by moving
your hand back and forth in the water to make a current away from you.

As long as you don't swim out far from the shore line you should be ok.
I've encountered very few rip currents along the Yucatan coast. But
should you get caught in a current that wants to pull you out to sea,
don't panic. Rather than trying to swim ashore against the current,
swim across the current until you no longer feel the pull. Then you can
swim ashore.

If you aren't used to spicy food, don't let one too many margaritas
convince you it's ok to eat something with lots of Habiniero Peppers.
Moderation is the best choice. Although at most A. I. the food is
prepared with consideration of North American and European tastes. You
will probably need to go off the hotel property to find something truly
Mexican. Mayan/Yucatan cooking usually doesn't have as much heat as the
Tex-Mex food most people associate with Mexican food. Chicken Mole was
served to Mayan kings. The main ingredient is a semi-sweet coco and a
lot of aromatic spices.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old May 26th, 2004, 03:49 PM

Sunblock SPF 30 and above depending on how fair your skin is

Thanks Brian that was really greta info!!

Tell me.... what exactly are surf shoes and where can one buy some?

Also....if i bought my own snorkel gear and take it with me....could I
possibly resale it down at the resort before I leave? You see.......I
don't snorkel at all.....so wont need it after coming home.

Also...... is it wise to bring my cell phone with me? Or just leave
it at home? Will a cell phone even work where Im going?
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:52 PM

While the A. I. may tell you that tipping is not required. It is still
appreciated.

What amt should I tip to people who carry luggage and such?

And.... on the cleaning staff and bar tenders and waiters and
such.....shoud I tip them for each time they service or just wait
until we leave and tip all at once?
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Hi

Only had one day at Tulum, it is a great place and I hope to return for
a week or 2
Have a great time and will send you an invite to see my pics on web
James

Thanks James.

I will write a report when we get back

Im excited as Ive never been to Mexico before much less the caribbean.

I think my nephew and me will have a great time.
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Brian K

On 05/26/2004 10:52 AM plucked Senior Frog's Magic
Twanger and said:

While the A. I. may tell you that tipping is not required. It is still
appreciated.

What amt should I tip to people who carry luggage and such?

And.... on the cleaning staff and bar tenders and waiters and
such.....shoud I tip them for each time they service or just wait
until we leave and tip all at once

Usually an envelope will be provided in your room for tipping the
housekeeping staff. You do this on the last day. Also, either the head
waiter or the front desk will have an envelope for the waitstaff. You
put your tip in the envelope and hand it to the headwaiter on the night
of your last dinner. Luggage, I usually tip $1.00 per bag. I don't tip
on small carry on bags that I carry myself only the larger bags.

Cell phones, ask your cell phone service provider if it will work in
Mexico. Most don't because US Cell phones run on a different frequency
then the rest of the world. Any convenience is lost in the high roaming
and long distance costs.

You can purchase LadaTel calling cards to call folks back in the US.
Mexico has many very inexpensive internet cafes. If you don't need
voice communication, you can send and receive web mail emails from an
internet cafe. Some hotels even have an internet cafe on the property
for use by guests.

As for water shoes/ surf mocs, I usually pick mine up at the local
K-Mart or Wal-mart during summer season. In a pinch an old pair of
canvas slip-on boat shoes or sneakers will do.

As for snorkel gear, I don't think that the hotel will permit you to
sell it on premises. Just hang on to it. You may find that you really
like snorkeling.

--
________