Guardian: Neo-Nazis upstage Dresden memorial

Old February 14th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Biwah

Default Guardian: Neo-Nazis upstage Dresden memorial

Neo-Nazis upstage Dresden memorial

5,000 people take part in a funeral march to the music of Wagner to mourn
civilians killed by the allied bombing raids

Luke Harding in Dresden
Monday February 14, 2005
The Guardian

Waving black flags and banners, thousands of neo-Nazis marched through the
heart of Dresden yesterday on the 60th anniversary of the city's destruction
by British and American bombers.

In the largest neo-Nazi demonstration in Germany's postwar history, about
5,000 people took part in a "funeral march" to mourn the civilians killed by
the allied attack.

The protest upstaged the official commemoration of the anniversary, during
which the British ambassador laid a wreath at a cemetery where victims were
buried. Meanwhile, thousands of local citizens gathered in the old square
for a candlelight vigil.

Large numbers of riot police were drafted into Dresden as several hundred
anti-fascists hurled abuse at the far-right marchers and shouted: "Nazis
out!"

The neo-Nazis marched to the music of Wagner and Bach, blaring from
loudspeakers. As they crossed the Elbe towards the old city, they
encountered several hundred anti-fascists. The organisers merely turned up
the volume and played the Ride of the Valkyries.

Several anti-fascists waved British, US and Israeli flags. Others chanted:
"You lost the war" and "Stalingrad was wonderful". Confetti and pink paper
aeroplanes with RAF markings were thrown.

"This is a terrible day for Dresden - I'm furious," said Ursula Hamann, 77,
who lives in the city and survived the 1945 attack. "It's sad to see
something like this happening in Germany again."

Edeltraud Krause said: "Look at them. You just have to look at their stupid
faces. They do not represent us."

Yesterday's well-attended neo-Nazi rally is embarrassing for Chancellor
Gerhard Schröder and Germany's image abroad.

The political establishment appears to have been taken completely unawares
by the far-right's recent renaissance and the rise of the neo-Nazi National
Party of Germany (NPD), which won 9.2% of the vote in last September's
elections in Saxony.

In an interview yesterday Mr Schröder hinted that he would try to ban the
NPD, which, he said, portrayed Germany as a war victim by ignoring Nazi
atrocities.

"We will use all means to counter these attempts to re-interpret history. We
will not allow cause to be confused with effect," he told Welt am Sonntag.

He added: "This is our obligation to all the victims of the war and Nazi
terror, especially, and also to the victims of Dresden." However, Mr
Schröder now faces a tricky period in trying to reconcile Germany's
traditional right of peaceful assembly with a neo-Nazi ascendancy.

Support for the NPD appears to be rising, especially in depressed areas of
the former communist East Germany, where unemployment averages 20%.

"My husband and I are NPD voters," said Anni Lutzner, who attended
yesterday's NPD-organised rally in Dresden. "We believe that the German
state favours foreigners and the Jews."

She added: "There's no point in banning us - we'll simply find a new name."

Hundreds of young skinheads attended the neo-Nazi rally. But the marchers
also included pensioners who were driven out, like vast numbers of German
refugees, from East Prussia - now divided between Russia and Poland.

They carried black balloons with the slogan: "Allied bombing terror - never
forgive, never forget." Addressing the rally, the NPD's leader in the Saxon
parliament, Holger Apfel, launched an attack on what he called the "gangster
politics of the British and Americans".

He said: "They have left a trail of blood from the past to the present, via
Dresden, Korea, Vietnam, Baghdad and - tomorrow possibly - Tehran. Terror
and war have a name. And that name is the United States of America."

Other speakers accused Winston Churchill of wanting "to roast" Germans.

They also accused the German authorities of deliberately under-estimating
the number of civilians killed in Dresden during the raids on February 13
and 14 1945.

Most historians put the figure at 35,000.

"I have no sympathy with the neo-Nazis. We don't want to go through those
terrible times again," said Gena Mothes, 85, who survived the raid. "The
problem is that people don't learn anything from the past. There are always
new wars going on."

Mrs Mothes, who watched the allied bombs fall, was one of many Dresdeners
who laid flowers yesterday at the cemetery where civilian victims were
buried.

Britain's ambassador, Sir Peter Torry, played down the threat posed by the
NPD, which is contesting elections in Schleswig-Holstein this week and hopes
to enter the federal parliament in next year's elections.

"I would take the phenomenon seriously, but not over-rate it. The neo-Nazis
got into Saxony's parliament, but on a low turnout," he told one newspaper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/germany/ar...412355,00.html

Old February 14th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Mir Harven

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 07:50:32 +0000, Biwah wrote:

[...]

Well- I guess this is one of these things that irrirtate people:
hypocrisy.

Let's see other figures:

http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/battles.htm#Dresden

Dresden, Germany (air raid by UK & US: 13-14 Feb. 1945): 40 000
Gilbert, History of the Twentieth Century: 39,773 bodies IDed. At
least 20,000 missing. All told, as many as 80,000 d.
Martin Sorge, The Other Price of Hitler's War (1986): 35,000
Houston Chronicle review of Dresden: Tuesday, February 13, 1945 by
Frederick Taylor (2004)
"[C]asualty figures the German press put out -- 135,000 or 250,000 or
even 400,000 dead.... nothing more than creative efforts of Nazi
propagandists."
"[O]nly after the fall of the Soviet Union did records emerge that
documented the true casualty figures -- 25,000 to 35,000 dead."
see also Palm Beach Post and NY Times reviews: 25,000-40,000
Spartacus: "Recent research suggest that 35,000 were killed but some
German sources have argued that it was over 100,000"
[http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWdresden.htm]
NOTE: The most commonly cited death toll is 135,000, but not among
scholars.
Wikipedia: 135,000 ("Aerial bombing of cities" 5/04)
Johnson, Modern Times: 135,000
Irving: The Destruction of Dresden (1966): 135,000. See also Nizkor's
discussion of this.

Old February 14th, 2005, 05:25 PM
berger

Biwah schrieb:
[...]

A typical biased article about 5000 stupids from all over the German
Republic. (5000/84.000.000). Why don't the Guardian report the 50.000
Non-Neo-Nazi Saxons who demonstrated yesterday their will for
forgiveness and peace? Not a word about the tenthousand candlelights
which formed the words: 'Nazis out of Dresden'.

Curious but unsurprising.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:16 AM
aether

Worth noting: the Soviet official who pleaded, pressured and advocated
the destruction of Dresden at the Yalta conference, General Antonov --
was a Jew

He was also the Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Soviet Army.

Old February 15th, 2005, 12:43 AM
Padraig Breathnach

"aether" wrote:

Worth noting: the Soviet official who pleaded, pressured and advocated
the destruction of Dresden at the Yalta conference, General Antonov --
was a Jew

He was also the Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Soviet Army.

Why is that worth noting?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:55 AM
Deep Foiled Malls

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:43:21 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

"aether" wrote:

Worth noting: the Soviet official who pleaded, pressured and advocated
the destruction of Dresden at the Yalta conference, General Antonov --
was a Jew

He was also the Deputy Chief of the General Staff of the Soviet Army.

Why is that worth noting?

Because the Jews are the root of all evil maybe? Most of the worlds
problems can be attributed to them.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old February 15th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Tom Peel

Biwah wrote:
Neo-Nazis upstage Dresden memorial

5,000 people take part in a funeral march to the music of Wagner to mourn
civilians killed by the allied bombing raids

Luke Harding in Dresden
Monday February 14, 2005
The Guardian

Waving black flags and banners, thousands of neo-Nazis marched through the
heart of Dresden yesterday on the 60th anniversary of the city's destruction
by British and American bombers.

In the largest neo-Nazi demonstration in Germany's postwar history, about
5,000 people took part in a "funeral march" to mourn the civilians killed by
the allied attack.

Typical of the anti-German press reporting that continues to pervade the
British press.

T.
Old February 15th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Mike O'Sullivan

Tom Peel wrote:
Biwah wrote:

Neo-Nazis upstage Dresden memorial

5,000 people take part in a funeral march to the music of Wagner to mourn
civilians killed by the allied bombing raids

Luke Harding in Dresden
Monday February 14, 2005
The Guardian

Waving black flags and banners, thousands of neo-Nazis marched through
the
heart of Dresden yesterday on the 60th anniversary of the city's
destruction
by British and American bombers.

In the largest neo-Nazi demonstration in Germany's postwar history, about
5,000 people took part in a "funeral march" to mourn the civilians
killed by
the allied attack.

Typical of the anti-German press reporting that continues to pervade the
British press.

You mean it wasn't true?
Old February 15th, 2005, 08:54 PM

Deep Foiled Malls wrote:

Because the Jews are the root of all evil maybe? Most of the worlds
problems can be attributed to them.

Our Lord Jesus Christ was a Joo.

George W. Bush can't wait to meet all the Joos at the Rapture.

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Tom Peel

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
Tom Peel wrote:

Biwah wrote:

[...]

I's the bias. The primary event - the commemoration of the Dresden
bombing - is relegated to second place. The article states that 5,000
neo-nazis demonstrated, but completely omits to mention that 10 times as
many people, according to police estimates 40,000-50,000, took part in
the official commemoration ceremonies. The director of police for
Dresden said later that only isolated incidence of violence were
reported. See for example
http://www.freiepresse.de/TEXTE/NACH...TE/176640.html

T.