Are my antique cellphones still useful in Europe?

Old January 8th, 2013, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default Are my antique cellphones still useful in Europe?

I've seen the crappy results of photos taken with some smart phones
and the sad people who spend their time in a restaurants and elsewhere
playing with their mobile phones.

The saddest one I've seen is young mothers ignoring their babies
crying for attention because diddling with something on their phone
is more fun. I see that on buses a lot.

Old January 8th, 2013, 06:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:50:19 +0100, Martin wrote:

I can receive a signal in a place where those with
a smart phone can't or to read reports that say that smart phones need a
good signal whilst dumb phones don't.

That statement shows a reasonably scary lack of understanding about how a
GSM telephone signal works...

look it's 'digital' all of the signal is reduced to little 'i's and 'o's
and they pull out what they want.

Lousy signal just means more error correction...

--
"Hopefully the fair wind will resume, or this may well take all day."

Admiral Collingwood on being becalmed under the guns of six French ships-
of-the-line at Trafalgar
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
JohnT[_8_]

"bill" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:50:19 +0100, Martin wrote:

I can receive a signal in a place where those with
a smart phone can't or to read reports that say that smart phones need a
good signal whilst dumb phones don't.

That statement shows a reasonably scary lack of understanding about how a
GSM telephone signal works...

look it's 'digital' all of the signal is reduced to little 'i's and 'o's
and they pull out what they want.

Lousy signal just means more error correction...

Lousy signal just means that when error correction becomes beyond the
algorithmically computational ability of the device, those little 1s and 0s
jump off the digital cliff
and commit suicide, leaving the proud owner of the Apple device effectively
fruitless.
--
JohnT

Old January 8th, 2013, 08:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 18:58:08 +0000, JohnT wrote:

"bill" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 11:50:19 +0100, Martin wrote:

I can receive a signal in a place where those with
a smart phone can't or to read reports that say that smart phones need
a good signal whilst dumb phones don't.

That statement shows a reasonably scary lack of understanding about how
a GSM telephone signal works...

look it's 'digital' all of the signal is reduced to little 'i's and
'o's and they pull out what they want.

Lousy signal just means more error correction...

Lousy signal just means that when error correction becomes beyond the
algorithmically computational ability of the device, those little 1s and
0s jump off the digital cliff
and commit suicide, leaving the proud owner of the Apple device
effectively fruitless.

Apple don't own the cellular radio system.

Neither do they define it nor have any input into its design.

Indeed Apple make complicated devices that seem to perform rather badly
as telephones.

Old January 12th, 2013, 01:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Wolfgang Schwanke says...
Basically GSM technology is unchanged since introduced in 1992.

1991
--

Alfred Molon