What to expect with China Airlines?

Old November 4th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Craig

Default What to expect with China Airlines?

Hello, I will be traveling early next year between LAX and MNL on
China Airlines in economy. (already know about their safety record,
etc. Still much better odds than when I drive to work every day!).
Anyway, I've never flown with this carrier before and was curious
about their equipment. Between LAX and TPE it will be a 747-400. My
research seems to show that these will likely be fairly new (or at
least recently renovated) planes. How are they equipped in economy?
Do they offer seat back video panels (akin to those on AA's 777)?
What are the typical choices during meal service? My wife is glad for
the Chinese food, but I'm likely to prefer a Western dish (Chinese
food tends to "pass through me" quickly...a feature that is
undesirable when on a plane!
:-) ) What were your impressions of the flight attendants...polite,
efficient, etc.? I've flown this route on NW before and they offered
an ice cream service. Is such a service offered on CAL? (Trivial I
know but a nice touch to break up a long flight.) How comfortable are
the seats?

We will also be flying between TPE and MNL on CAL's Airbus 300. I
expect this to be an older plane, but how do the above amenities
compare for this aircraft? (Not nearly as important, though, since it
is a relative short flight.)

Thanks for the tips and advice!
Craig (if responding by email, ignore the my-deja address and
reply to
)

--
"They that can give up essential liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither

Concerned with the direction our government
is going? VOTE LIBERTARIAN

Old November 4th, 2003, 03:11 AM
 @X.

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 01:05:54 GMT, "Craig"
wrote:

Hello, I will be traveling early next year between LAX and MNL on
China Airlines in economy. (

snip

How are they equipped in economy?
Do they offer seat back video panels (akin to those on AA's 777)?

No seat back video. Sorry.

What are the typical choices during meal service? My wife is glad for
the Chinese food, but I'm likely to prefer a Western dish (Chinese
food tends to "pass through me" quickly...a feature that is
undesirable when on a plane!

Western or Chinese breakfast. Western breakfast was very good, most
Westerners would definitely prefer it over the rice porridge they
served for the Chinese breakfast. Westernized Chinese food for
dinner. I suppose you would call it Chinese food but was nothing to
exotic and suitable for timid tummies. Choice was Pork or Chicken
with some noodles. Dinners were OK but nothing special.

:-) ) What were your impressions of the flight attendants...polite,
efficient, etc.? I've flown this route on NW before and they offered
an ice cream service. Is such a service offered on CAL? (Trivial I
know but a nice touch to break up a long flight.) How comfortable are
the seats?

Flight attendants were polite and efficient though many spoke minimal
English. Only enough to get by. Wasn't a problem for me. Seats were
not comfortable nor are any economy seats comfortable on any airline.
China Airlines economy seats are less uncomfortable than some other
airlines. There is slightly more legroom than NWA. I suppose they
are as good as can be expected at the price.

We will also be flying between TPE and MNL on CAL's Airbus 300. I
expect this to be an older plane, but how do the above amenities
compare for this aircraft? (Not nearly as important, though, since it
is a relative short flight.)

Airbuses are a little more cramped on legroom. Not much for amenities
but that flight is less than two hours so it's not to bad.

Economy service is economy service. There are better ways to spend 30
or 40 hours but China Airlines has fairly decent service for the
prices they offer. I personally usually fly EVA on the routes China
Airlines flies because EVA has the "Deluxe Economy Class" for only
~$150 more which is a much larger seat.