Bologna - looking for cheap lodging

Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:13 AM
ALAN HARRISON

Default Bologna - looking for cheap lodging

I've just booked a cheap flight to Bologna - out on 13th October, back on
17th. I'm now trying to find cheap/reasonable lodging in the city - up to
EUR 50 a night for a single. There appears to be a builders' convention at
the city's conference centre (Fiera) that weekend. I don't know whether this
will affect the budget end of the market.

I've e-mailed a few places for quotes, but wondered if anyone on the list
has experience of acommodation in Bologna.

Alan Harrison

Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:15 AM
tile

if there is a Building exhibition in Bologna it will be very difficult to
find accomodation for that price.

a couple of days ago, for a similar exhibition, I was able to find
accomodation here in Sassuolo for a customer at 115.00 eur night.
I was very lucky and we are about 60kms from Bologna......
there was also a marble exhibtion in verona.. and the new wines market in
Bolzano.
so all hotels were taken for a few kms around Bologna. ( Bolzano si about
200 kms... )
50 eur night in Bologna will be difficult all the year ..maybe August and
Xmas time. when there is no business at all.
People that have a car can afford going to Imola/castelsanpietro and small
towns around bologna.
but then if you calculate time distance and so on.. it is not convenient

so.. if you do not mind.. i suggest train to rimini
from the airport there is a shuttle bus to the main train station of
Bologna..
from the main train station.. if you want to visit the exhibition.. it will
be 10 minutes by bus or taxi depending on traffic congestion.

so many people attend Bologna exhibitions that normally even all parking
places are taken around the exhibitions

as i was there a few days ago. I was circling around with my car for about
one hour. no luck.
I just left my car where I found a place.
it was forbidden to park there. but i was lucky enough and I had no fine..

one more question. are you flying to Bologna or Forli' Airport ?? Forli'
will be about 50 kms either from Rimini or Bologna.
But I guess you will not find accomodation in Forli' for 50.00 eur/night

if you wish. you could go by train to Florence.
it will take you about 45 minutes.
there I suggest a very nice b&B that will cost you about 35 eur/night

www.casacimabue.it

for that price you will find accomodation only in Rimini..
it is about 115 kms from Bologna. you can take a train and from Rimini to
Bologna it will take you about one hour.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 01:20 PM
ALAN HARRISON

Thanks! Looks like I've chosen a bad time to visit Bologna! Just had a
response with an absolutely outrageous price for a double for single use.

Alan Harrison

Old October 2nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
tile

Yes.
Soemtimes I have been asked 250 to 300 eur night..
but beware.. there are two to three exhibitions a month in Bologna !!!
Normally I stay in Bologna in August.
I park my car in Sheraton Hotel
sleeping in Sheraton is cheaper than parking the car in the airport parking
lot..
But again I would rather sleep out of Bologna..
Castel San Pietro terme is a place I recommend
there are thermal baths there. the town is closed to traffic.
restaurants are good and cheap.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:25 PM
Go Fig

In article , ALAN
HARRISON wrote:

Thanks! Looks like I've chosen a bad time to visit Bologna! Just had a
response with an absolutely outrageous price for a double for single use.

Have you tried the official convention site for the builder's
convention, this technique was the only way for us to get a room in
A'dam last month... IBC had taken over the city... and we booked more
than 6 months out. The associated reservation site never asked us if
we were specifically attending the convention.

jay
Sun Oct 02, 2005

Alan Harrison

Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:35 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 07:13:50 +0000 (UTC), "ALAN HARRISON"
wrote:

I've just booked a cheap flight to Bologna - out on 13th October, back on
17th. I'm now trying to find cheap/reasonable lodging in the city - up to
EUR 50 a night for a single. There appears to be a builders' convention at
the city's conference centre (Fiera) that weekend. I don't know whether this
will affect the budget end of the market.

I've e-mailed a few places for quotes, but wondered if anyone on the list
has experience of acommodation in Bologna.

I've stayed several times at a place called the Minerva when I have an
early flight leaving from Bologna. It's one of the cheaper hotels in
the city, and conveniently near the Piazza Maggiore. I haven't been
there for several years, so I can't be sure it's still under 50 a
night. I found it in Let's Go, Italy, which is pretty reliable for
budget lodging.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:46 PM
B Vaughan

wrote:

I've just booked a cheap flight to Bologna - out on 13th October, back on
17th. I'm now trying to find cheap/reasonable lodging in the city - up to
EUR 50 a night for a single. There appears to be a builders' convention at
the city's conference centre (Fiera) that weekend. I don't know whether this
will affect the budget end of the market.

I've e-mailed a few places for quotes, but wondered if anyone on the list
has experience of acommodation in Bologna.

I can't find any way to reach the Minerva online, but its phone number
is +39-051-239652.

Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM
Kristian

wrote:

I've just booked a cheap flight to Bologna - out on 13th October, back on
17th. I'm now trying to find cheap/reasonable lodging in the city - up to
EUR 50 a night for a single. There appears to be a builders' convention at
the city's conference centre (Fiera) that weekend. I don't know whether this
will affect the budget end of the market.

I've e-mailed a few places for quotes, but wondered if anyone on the list
has experience of acommodation in Bologna.

I can't find any way to reach the Minerva online, but its phone number
is +39-051-239652.

Some more info, copy and paste from www.venere.com
-But its not bookable online:

Minerva 36 - 36 EUR 59 - 59 EUR
Via De Monari 3 - Bologna - 40100
Tel: +39-051-239652 - Fax: +39-051-239652

Kristian
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
ALAN HARRISON

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
news
I've stayed several times at a place called the Minerva

Thanks, Barbara.

Alan

Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:58 PM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:37:09 +0000 (UTC), "ALAN HARRISON"
wrote:

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
news
I've stayed several times at a place called the Minerva

Thanks, Barbara.

Let me know if it works out. I don't think they would be much affected
by the trade shows. They're very basic but perfectly acceptable for my
purposes. Or at least they were fine the two times I've stayed there.
One of my daughters has also stayed there on occasion.