Using mobiles in an aeroplane... NOT dangerous after all! (apparently)

Old October 17th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Jon

nobody reckoned that...
UMTS uses a collision detection scheme (cdma) and not time slots, so it is not
so distance sensitive.

UMTS used WCDMA (Wideband Code Division Multiple Access) Collision
Detection does not feature in the spec anywhere!
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
SonyEricsson K700i unlock/unbrand - £22.50
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Clueless2

"Jim Ley" wrote in message
But phones are always on in flights - I've hardly been on a plane
where someone I'm sitting near hasn't realised they'd left there phone
on upon arrival, so if they genuine thought there was a risk, they'd
actually do something about it.

Leaving a GSM mobile phone on in a flight (in idle mode) is quite different
to using a GSM mobile phone (in dedicated mode) in a flight.

In idle mode the phone only sends 4 bursts to perform a location update
every time it crosses a location area, whereas in dedicated mode it is
transmitting most of the time!

Old October 17th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Ian Stirling

In uk.telecom.mobile Clueless2 no.spam wrote:
"Jim Ley" wrote in message
But phones are always on in flights - I've hardly been on a plane
where someone I'm sitting near hasn't realised they'd left there phone
on upon arrival, so if they genuine thought there was a risk, they'd
actually do something about it.

Leaving a GSM mobile phone on in a flight (in idle mode) is quite different
to using a GSM mobile phone (in dedicated mode) in a flight.

In idle mode the phone only sends 4 bursts to perform a location update
every time it crosses a location area, whereas in dedicated mode it is
transmitting most of the time!

Or when recieving an MMS/email/..., if set to do this, as many phones
do nowadays.

Old October 17th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Jim Ley

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:27:59 +0100, "Clueless2" no.spam wrote:

"Jim Ley" wrote in message
But phones are always on in flights - I've hardly been on a plane
where someone I'm sitting near hasn't realised they'd left there phone
on upon arrival, so if they genuine thought there was a risk, they'd
actually do something about it.

Leaving a GSM mobile phone on in a flight (in idle mode) is quite different
to using a GSM mobile phone (in dedicated mode) in a flight.

And using a GSM mobile in a low power talking to a local picocell is
very different to talking on full power working on handovers.

Jim.

Old October 17th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Clueless2

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Or when recieving an MMS/email/..., if set to do this, as many phones
do nowadays.

Yes, point taken. BTW what is the typical message size of a MMS message and
what logical channels are used to deliver a MMS message?