Currancy Exchange

Old December 16th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Frank Slootweg

A Mate wrote:
Frank,
Plus is the Visa cash network - and while possibly unknown by name to many
Europeans - in existence throughout virtually all the 'electronically
connected' world. There are many interlocking and overlapping networks
operating almost everywhere - most ATMs carry logos from the common networks
in their neck of the woods only - but your bank should be able to tell you
just which worldwide networks your card will operate on!!

There would be very few cards which are not affiliated with Plus!!

Note that I was talking about withdrawing money from an *EFTPOS*
establishment (i.e. a shop, service station, etc.), *not* from an *ATM*.

*ATMs* are indeed no problem for our European/Dutch debit cards (nor for
our credit cards), but, as I wrote/detailed, *EFTPOS* *is*, as far as
withdrawing money is concerned (for both our credit cards and our debit
cards). FWIW, two of the non-working cards were issued by ABN-AMRO
(perhaps known as ABN in Oz), which is a well-known world-wide bank.

Bottom line: Don't assume that a *foreign* credit (or debit) card will
work for *withdrawing* money from *EFTPOS*.

Sorry for all the emphasis, but few people seem to understand the
difference between pay/withdraw, credit/debit and ATM/EFTPOS.

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
Gerrit 't Hart wrote:

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
A Mate wrote:
Travellers Cheques are no longer used much. ATM's are almost
everywhere
(even in the outback you can withdraw money through your credit card
using
eftpos).

In our experience [1], that (withdrawing money using EFTPOS) only
works for a *debit* card and then only for the *right* debit card. A
(non-Oz) MasterCard credit card does *not* work an nor does a European
"Europas" or "Worldpass" debit card. So beware. Hence my earlier
advice.

Theoretically using a credit card with the Plus symbol on it should
enable
you to withdraw direct from your Chequing account, or your savings
account,
whichever is connected on the card. However I would not bet on it.
Several
months ago we were in Europe (Netherlands) and tried to withdraw from my
cheque account but the ATMs in Holland wouldn't let me do it! I checked
with
the bank (owning two of those ATMs and their staff didn't have a clue as
what the Plus symbol meant. So I gave up and used the credit card
normally.
Placed a fairly large credit onto the card account and so saved interest
charges on withdrawals.
BTW the Plus function works in Australia and Singapore. But if your own
bank
has a problem with this you could still be in hot water if you are
relying
on it.

Indeed, "Plus" is unknown in The Netherlands and probably in most of
Europe and quite possibly also in the UK where the OP is from.

That is why I posted what I posted: I.e. Australians should not assume
that just because they can do some thing with *their* (i.e. Australian)
cards, that 'foreigners' can do the same with their (foreign) cards.

So it would be nice if another person from the UK could post his/her
positive/negative experience with withdrawing money from an Australian
EFTPOS establishment.

Old December 17th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Frank Slootweg

Gerrit wrote:
Frank

I omitted to tell that the ATMs I tried to use Plus on had the symbol
displayed, so I was most dissappointed when it didn't work.
Why should they show the symbol and then not support the service?
That's when I went inside the bank to ask and they couldn't tell what
Plus was supposed to do. Black mark for Dutch banks. And it wasn't
only ABN-AMRO! I tried at two others as well.
Wouldn't have been so bad except that I have two Visa cards with two
different banks and the one I have loaded with cash (so that I can
withdraw cash without immediately incurring interest charges)is NOT
the one connected to my cheque account :-(

G'day Gerrit,

Your article . com
was an 'orphan' (i.e. no References: header, i.e. not 'connected' to
another article), probably because you now posted via Google Groups (Bad
boy! Bad, bad boy! :-)). I have reconnected this response in the
original thread (as a response to your article in that thread).

I have re-read your earlier response
).

I now understand things a little better. What you are talking about
("Plus") is using a card which is *primarily* a *credit* card, to
*directly* withdraw (in an ATM) money from your chequing or savings
account (whichever is connected on the card). I.e. in other words, you
use a "credit" card as if it was a *debit* card.

I am afraid I have no experience with such cards/functions. The cards
we (i.e. my wife and I, *not* "The Netherlands") have are either
purely credit cards (both with a MasterCard logo) or purely debit cards
(both with a Meastro logo) (see footnote).

I have never heard of "Plus", or at least not noted it. On my next ATM
visits (in The Netherlands) I will look for it, but don't hold your
breath, because I live in a small village.

So I can only give our experience with our (seperate) 'European'/Dutch
credit and debit cards:

As I mentioned, I *never* had a problem with my debit (nor credit)
card in any ATM, in Europe and Australia, but *have* had problems with
(four) debit *and* credit cards for *withdrawing* money at EFTPOS
establishments in Australia.

[footnote:]

One of the debit cards we use in ATMs, an ABN-AMRO Worldpass
("Wereldpas"), says to use an ATM with the "Maestro Cirrus logo" [1]. It
refers [2] to the "ATM Locator" [3], but that one shows the MasterCard,
Maestro and Cirrus logos, so it is hard to tell which logo is for what.
Also the "Frequently Asked Questions" at [3] does not make it any
clearer (for me). As far as I know, MasterCard is a *credit*card-only
logo, so I assume the neccessary logo for a *debit*card is Meastro
or/and Cirrus. We have had discussions in this group about Maestro and
Cirrus in the past, but at the time nobody knew exactly what is for what
(i.e. pay versus withdraw, creditcard versus debitcard, etc.).

[1] http://www.abnamro.nl/nl/particulier/vakantie/overzicht.html and
click on the "alle betaalmogelijkheden" link in the "Betalen in het
buitenland" section.

[2] Same site and section, but "MasterCard" link.

[3] http://www.mastercard.com/atmlocator/index.jsp via
http://www.mastercard.com/cobrand/maestro/atm

Old December 18th, 2004, 10:52 PM
george

I simply used my regular canadian bank card. Worked well in Australia
all over. Just check with your bank cirrus as well of other names on
back. I never needed to take more than $100 in local currency on
landing since BANK ATMs everywhere.

--
george
george's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=347

Old December 19th, 2004, 11:41 AM
A Mate

Sorry - I misread your reply.

In fact EFTPOS has never worked for me, outside Australia, not even in NZ!!

I 'run' a Visa (Plus affiliated) card, which is linked to an overdraft
facility as well as having an inbuilt credit limit. A sort of hybrid
debit/credit card - not uncommon in Australia. I can withdraw cash up to my
balance + my credit limit.

It has worked as an ATM card in locations as disparate as Turkey, Canada,
Vietnam, Rome, Ireland etc etc; but I've never been able to use it for
eftpos outside Australia!!

Old December 19th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Frank Slootweg

george wrote:

I simply used my regular canadian bank card. Worked well in Australia
all over. Just check with your bank cirrus as well of other names on
back. I never needed to take more than $100 in local currency on
landing since BANK ATMs everywhere.

"everywhere" where *you* went! Don't assume that ATMs are "everywhere"
in Oz, because they aren't, especially not in rural areas, the outback,
etc. Hence my elaborate comments and my comments on *not* being able to
get money from EFTPOS establishments.

Old December 19th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Geoff Lillico

Depends upon your interpretation of the word "outback", but anywhere an
Australian would call "rural" would have an ATM and most larger outback
towns too. Do not be put off by Frank's generalisation.

--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com