Beverages purchased airside banned from carry-on?

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:04 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
John Keiser

Default Beverages purchased airside banned from carry-on?

I bought a bottle of water after screening while waiting to leave on a
flight from Rangoon. It was confiscated when I moved 50 feet to the gate.
Burma does not follow TSA rules.

A different complaint is that of passengers with a stop over who buy
expensive booze duty free in one country and forget that they have a change
of planes which may require additional screening. I saw a young man get
very agitated when his bottle of Patron purchased at duty free in Honolulu
was confiscated as he changed planes in Manial en route to Bangkok.

wrote in message
Are there any rules that say drinks purchased airside cannot be
brought on board? Should passengers generally be aware of this
prohibition? Or does this only apply to nonalcoholic beverages
purchased from the airside vendors, while the clearly flammable
liquors and performs purchased from the duty-free shops are allowed?

When we boarded our ICN to SFO flight, we were told that the US
government (presumably the TSA) had reached across the Pacific Ocean
demanded an additional security screening at the Seoul airport. Many
people had the drinks that they had purchased airside confiscated.
Everyone claimed that they thought these beverages, some still in
sealed packages, were allowed with their carryon luggage. At the same
time, other passengers were allowed to add their duty-free purchases
to things they carried on board; most of these contained alcohol and
clearly were hazardous materials.

If clearly hazardous liquids were allowed in large quantites, why
would they prohibit liquids that were probably innocuous? How would
they react to mother’s milk or baby formula?

This kind of arrogance coupled with the obviously illogical and
inconsistent application of some secret rules can only reinforce the
TSA’s well-earned reputation.

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:41 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In the last episode of
,
" said:

On Feb 12, 2:34*pm, DevilsPGD wrote:
Also don't forget to enjoy your patdowns from now on, lest you once
again demonstrate your terrorist indicators in public:
http://www.infowars.com/not-enjoying...a-suspicious-a...

Once, when I got a patdown, I made pleasurable noises (quiet ahhhs and
moans). The TSA guy got really upset, and on the basis of my
appearing to enjoy the experience, he threatened to have me arrested
and permanently banned from flying. I take this to mean that he
intended that screening be unpleasant. and he was frustrated at
failing this time.

From what I can tell you're expected to enjoy it a little, but not too
much. Naturally neither boundary is consistently defined or enforced.

A most odd system.

--
It's always darkest before dawn. So if you're going to
steal your neighbor's newspaper, that's the time to do it.
Old February 13th, 2012, 08:14 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article , Chris Blunt
says...
I saved a few of
the Actimel pro-biotic yogurt drinks we had for breakfast and filled
six of them with the remaining alcohol.

How did you manage to close the actimel drinks again? The lid is made of
aluminum foil.
--

Alfred Molon
Old February 13th, 2012, 09:33 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
bill

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:42:35 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

On a recent trip I bought a bottle of XO Cognac while I was away and had
drunk about half of it before the time came to go home. I realised I
wouldn't be allowed to take the remaining half bottle back with me on
the flight, but found a way around that problem. I saved a few of the
Actimel pro-biotic yogurt drinks we had for breakfast and filled six of
them with the remaining alcohol. They detected them at the security
checkpoint, but because each bottle was 100ml in size I was allowed to
take them all on board the aircraft.

You are a deeply sad person.

--
"Hopefully the fair wind will resume, or this may well take all day."

Admiral Collingwood on being becalmed under the guns of six French ships-
of-the-line at Trafalgar
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:33:19 +0000 (UTC), bill
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:42:35 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

On a recent trip I bought a bottle of XO Cognac while I was away and had
drunk about half of it before the time came to go home. I realised I
wouldn't be allowed to take the remaining half bottle back with me on
the flight, but found a way around that problem. I saved a few of the
Actimel pro-biotic yogurt drinks we had for breakfast and filled six of
them with the remaining alcohol. They detected them at the security
checkpoint, but because each bottle was 100ml in size I was allowed to
take them all on board the aircraft.

You are a deeply sad person.

I know, but when you pay US$125 for a nice bottle of XO you really
don't want it confiscated by airport security.

Chris
Old February 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
Chris Blunt[_2_]

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:14:39 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Chris Blunt
says...
I saved a few of
the Actimel pro-biotic yogurt drinks we had for breakfast and filled
six of them with the remaining alcohol.

How did you manage to close the actimel drinks again? The lid is made of
aluminum foil.

They were plastic screw tops. OK, I might have got the brand name
wrong but it was the equivalent of that product.

Chris
Old February 13th, 2012, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

bill wrote:

On a recent trip I bought a bottle of XO Cognac
I saved a few of the (drink bottles) we had for breakfast and
filled six of them with the remaining alcohol.
because each bottle was 100ml in size I was allowed to
take them all on board the aircraft.

You are a deeply sad person.

How so?

I do the same thing. I save empty 50 ml bottles of liquor and re-fill
them at home and bring them with me when I fly. Sometimes 4 of them at
a time. I always get them past screening with no questions or issues.
Old February 13th, 2012, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
bill

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 08:19:55 -0500, Fly Guy wrote:

bill wrote:

On a recent trip I bought a bottle of XO Cognac I saved a few of the
(drink bottles) we had for breakfast and filled six of them with the
remaining alcohol. because each bottle was 100ml in size I was
allowed to take them all on board the aircraft.

You are a deeply sad person.

How so?

I do the same thing. I save empty 50 ml bottles of liquor and re-fill
them at home and bring them with me when I fly. Sometimes 4 of them at
a time. I always get them past screening with no questions or issues.

Why bother?

The stuff isn't that expensive.

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
bill

wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:42:35 +0800, Chris Blunt wrote:

On a recent trip I bought a bottle of XO Cognac while I was away and
had drunk about half of it before the time came to go home. I realised
I wouldn't be allowed to take the remaining half bottle back with me
on the flight, but found a way around that problem. I saved a few of
the Actimel pro-biotic yogurt drinks we had for breakfast and filled
six of them with the remaining alcohol. They detected them at the
security checkpoint, but because each bottle was 100ml in size I was
allowed to take them all on board the aircraft.

You are a deeply sad person.

I know, but when you pay US$125 for a nice bottle of XO you really don't
want it confiscated by airport security.

Ah, I don't pay that, even for decent brandy.

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
irwell

bill wrote:

On a recent trip I bought a bottle of XO Cognac I saved a few of the
(drink bottles) we had for breakfast and filled six of them with the
remaining alcohol. because each bottle was 100ml in size I was
allowed to take them all on board the aircraft.

You are a deeply sad person.

How so?

I do the same thing. I save empty 50 ml bottles of liquor and re-fill
them at home and bring them with me when I fly. Sometimes 4 of them at
a time. I always get them past screening with no questions or issues.

Why bother?

The stuff isn't that expensive.

And also isn't there a rule by the airlines (not TSA) that
all liquor consumed in the cabin must have been supplied by the carrier?