Frugal Travel - South Korea

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Default Frugal Travel - South Korea

My wife and I would like to make atrip to South Korea at the end of
this year. We?re looking to fly out of Washington DC. We are both in
our mid-twenties and don?t need a 5-star hotel. Where can I find the
best travel deals for the frugal traveler?

Thank you
Fred
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Graham Hawker

wrote in message
gle.com...
My wife and I would like to make atrip to South Korea at the end of
this year. We?re looking to fly out of Washington DC. We are both in
our mid-twenties and don?t need a 5-star hotel. Where can I find the
best travel deals for the frugal traveler?

You might take a look at the Korean issue of the ThaiAirNews newsletter
which you can find on:
http://www.connectedglobe.com/thaiairnews/
--
Graham Hawker | People remember the messenger

Old November 8th, 2003, 04:30 AM
KimBob

When you get to Korea you'll probably fly into the Incheon
International Airport. From there catch a bus to downtown Seoul, ask
at the information counter and they'll direct you to the proper bus
just out of the Airport's front doors. Once in Seoul, look for a
Yogwan, A cheap motel. They are all over especially in the outlying
suburbs. They have nice clean rooms, which typically run about $35.00
per night with private bath and either a Western style bed or floor
mat.

Seoul has a Hop-On – Hop-Off city tour bus to get you oriented but
once you're on the ground it has one of the best subway systems in the
world, with all signs and announcements in English as well as Hangul.
From the Downtown train station you can take the fast train to Pusan,
Taegu, or Chunchon, or even the subway to Incheon (the town not the
airport).

The big western hangouts are Iteawan, Osan, and Tongduchon. Ok for
souvenir shopping but full of American soldiers and Western tourists.
Namdeamun and Dongdaemun are better for the more traditional markets
and just a cheap subway ride from anywhere. Don't miss the palaces
and temples. Smaller than the Forbidden City in Beijing, but just as
impressive. You should take a day-trip tour up to the DMZ to see
Freedom's frontier as well.

Korea isn't cheap but it is a bargain.

Good luck and have a happy tour.