Internet access in Nice, in apt rental

Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:48 AM
John Buckman

Default Internet access in Nice, in apt rental

I'm American, and going to be spending a month in Nice, France.

I'd like to have Internet access where I'm staying, and was planning
on renting an apartment.

My question: are there any wireless Internet providers in Nice? What
about reasonable speed Internet access through a cell phone?

I know there are tons of Internet cafes around, but I'll be working
most of the day in the rented apartment, and Internet access is kind
of a necessity.

If there are no wireless net providers for Nice, can someone recommend
a luxurious hotel (not super-budget, the company's paying) that has
either ethernet or wireless in the hotel?

-john
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM
szozu

"John Buckman" wrote in message
m...
I'm American, and going to be spending a month in Nice, France.

I'd like to have Internet access where I'm staying, and was planning
on renting an apartment.

My question: are there any wireless Internet providers in Nice? What
about reasonable speed Internet access through a cell phone?

I know there are tons of Internet cafes around, but I'll be working
most of the day in the rented apartment, and Internet access is kind
of a necessity.

If there are no wireless net providers for Nice, can someone recommend
a luxurious hotel (not super-budget, the company's paying) that has
either ethernet or wireless in the hotel?

Go to www.angloinfo.com and then pose your questions on the forum. This is a
website dedicated to English speakers living on the Cote d'Azur. You might
be able to find an apartment there that meets your needs and there are
certainly many people posting there who work in IT in the region who be able
to answer your questions fully. It is a very active forum and people are
very helpful.

Lana

Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Mark Fagan

If you don't require wireless access, you can get excellent free internet
service from Wanadoo. I used this on a 3-week visit last year and got
faster connection speeds for dial-up than I do at home. Wanadoo installs
software that makes minor alterations to the look and function of Internet
Explorer, but these can be easily removed when you get back. The only cost
is the phone call itself.

The service is called Accès Libre. If you don't speak French well enough to
navigate the sign-up process, try going to
http://www.wanadoo.fr/bin/frame.cgi?...index.php?id=5.

Where it says Accès Libre in large red text, in the lower half of the
screen, click on "s'inscrire". A window will pop up. Click on
"télécharger le kit" to download the installation software. Run it and
follow the instructions. You will have to enter name, address, etc. Your
proper home address is fine, they accepted mine in Canada.

You may want to have a dictionary handy. There is translation software
online, such as at www.faganfinder.com/translate into which you can enter
the URL of the webpage and get a translated version, but they seem to have
problems with this page. Probably has to do with embedded HTML code. You
could try it though, it might be better than no help at all.

Finally, Wanadoo does offer Wi-Fi, for a fee, but I'm not familar with it so
I leave it to you to "recherche".