Second Impressions of the Queen Mary 2

Old April 24th, 2004, 08:12 PM
JoyceR

Default Second Impressions of the Queen Mary 2

I just got back from my second tour and lunch aboard 'Her Majesty'. I've
changed my mind about sailing aboard this behemoth of the seas.

Even though I prefer smaller, more intimate ships I did find her to be
elegant at every turn. I guess if it was at least a two week cruise so I
wouldn't be so exhausted from trying to find my way around.

She's decorated beautifully. A classy, classic Grande Dame in every way.
I actually think I would prefer eating in the Britannia dining room to
the Princess or Queens' Grill. Those rooms, though very tastefully
decorated don't give you the same feeling as the Britannia. I like the
more classic feel of the large dining room.

I particularly liked the small dining alcoves in the Kings Court buffet
area. Gave the feeling of private dining in what is usually a crowded,
busy, noisy area.

I noticed that there was Web TV in the cabins we visited and inquired
about WiFi. I was told that the ship does have WiFi capabilities which
means I wouldn't have to use the ship's internet cafe area. I found this
room to be crowded and no private carrels. Just long tables with many
PC's. No privacy at all.

Loved the Winter Garden area where afternoon tea and classical concerts
are held. Its based on the Conservatory at Kew Gardens and has a large
waterfall at the back of the room.

Got to tour the Balmoral and Windsor suites. I think the bathroom was
half the size of my apartment.

I found the outside cabins to be fairly spacious and well appointed with
very good storage. Inside cabins were very nice but a bit claustrophobic
for me. The inside cabins on the Atrium do have windows but I would keep
the curtains closed all the time as you have excellent views into the
cabins on the other side of the Atrium. Kind of defeats the purpose of
having a window.

Our lunch in the Britannia dining room was excellent. Started off with a
crawfish salad. Then a choice of either lamb or halibut followed by a
chocolate extravaganza dessert. Choice of red or white wines. Food was
delicious, service was outstanding.

During lunch the official trading of plaques for a maiden visit was done
in the dining room by the Commodore and a representative of the Port of
NY. Nice touch for us.

All in all, I would sail on her but only on a long voyage as it would
take me days to find my way around. She's a lovely lady and will please
all who sail on her.

Joyce
--
"We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are." - The Talmud
"People demand the freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of

Old April 25th, 2004, 01:31 AM
ArleneL

I need at least 2 weeks aboard her to form a complete opinion. I just
need to figure out how to afford and and when to go.

Tsk Tsk......how mundane, my dear.

I must have missed something. How did the three of you get the invite? And two
different days too!

Arlene

Old April 25th, 2004, 01:48 AM
RTCReferee

ArleneL wrote:

How did the three of you get the invite?

Yours is the first newsgroup message I have seen in red.
(So I'm testing to see if mine is, too.)
Old April 25th, 2004, 01:49 AM
JoyceR

Thursday was a tour for stockholders. Got an invite in the mail and you
could bring a guest. Sue brought Warren. My travel agent was going to
come with me but then said she would rather do the TA tour and lunch on
Saturday and got me an invite to come with her. What the heck, I went twice.

I'm sending pictures to Seacruise and they should be posted soon.

When are you coming back to NYC for another visit?

Joyce

Old April 25th, 2004, 01:52 AM
RTCReferee

And NOPE, just as I expected...it ain't.
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:05 AM
Charles

In article , RTCReferee
wrote:

And NOPE, just as I expected...it ain't.

That is because she is posting in html. I don't see it in red. What I
see is long lines of crap like that below that I snipped from Arlenes
post---since I am using a text only newsreader.

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html

blockquote TYPE=CITE

Html should not used in text newsgroups as many will see it like the
crap above and also it is a waste of bandwith. In addition some news
servers will block such postings.

--
Charles
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:37 AM
BTC/TAK on ACK

I liked the Winter Garden.

I didn't [as I said]. I guess "that's what makes horse racing"; it might be
really boring if we all liked the same things. I have to say, though, that
the faux topiaries in the Winter Garden are among the most effective I've
seen... and I usually realllllly hate fake plants... those I could "accept"
since real ones would have been a maintenance nightmare, and the topiaries
defined the space nicely. I think it was the colors of the bird
mural/wall-fountain being so "Florida" that bothered me... but then lot of
folks clearly don't like [even though they try not to show it] my watermelon
red sun-room.

Mila

"JoyceR" wrote in message
Didn't get to see G32 or the library. Just couldn't fit it all in, even
in two days. I think Warren and Sue saw them and they could give you
their feed back.

I liked the Winter Garden. I can see myself enjoying a nice cuppa with
scones, clotted cream and strawberry preserves. (there goes my sugar
count again)

I need at least 2 weeks aboard her to form a complete opinion. I just
need to figure out how to afford and and when to go.

Joyce

BTC/TAK on ACK wrote:

There is nothing tacky about this ship. She really is a beauty.

She is... well, mostly. What did you think of the Winter Garden? [I

thought
it approached tacky.] Or the Queen's Room? [I found it just a bit dull]

Did
you get to see G32? [More than a bit "over the top", IMHO.]

On the other hand, how about the Commodore Club? [How elegant is that?]

Or
the Todd English lobby [Well done "near-kitsch" can really be so much

more
fun than "tasteful" can... especially in a "pass-through space... and I
thought the bar, and the restaurant itself, both handsome and

interesting.]
Or the Canyon Ranch stairway to the hair-salon? {Or any of the CY Spa

areas,
for that matter?]. Did you get to see the Queens Grille? [Lovely use of
art-glass pieces, eh?] Did you like the Veuve Clicquot Bar? [I did...

maybe
too often, judging by my bill.] What about the Library? [Maybe I should

have
spent more time there, and less in the attractive Chart Room.] Even the
Illuminations and Royal Court theatres [the kind of spaces that usually
"underwhelm" me on other ships] are very attractive. Unfortunately, it

seems
to me, the Grand Lobby looks a lot better than it works... but, after

all I
don't work there, so maybe I'm wrong... but sure looks good.

I agree with you; I think it's fair, at the very least, to say "she

really
is a beauty"... not a "flawless beauty", IMO, but, even the flaws aren't

at
all "jarring" [well, except for G32].

Mila

"JoyceR" wrote in message

Don't blame Cunard, that's me referring to her as 'Her Majesty'. She
really is majestic.

There is nothing tacky about this ship. She really is a beauty.

Joyce

Zegarskis wrote:

JoyceR , stated:

I just got back from my second tour and lunch aboard 'Her Majesty'.

I've
changed my mind about sailing aboard this behemoth of the seas.

Hi Joyce,

I thought the ship was named for the original liner Queen Mary. I did

not

realize that Cunard is referring to the ship as "Her Majesty". I feel

this is

a bit "tacky".

Just on man's opinion.

Ray

Wishing light winds and smooth seas to all

Old April 25th, 2004, 02:48 AM

The main swimming pool on deck 8 cannot be approached from deck 8
because of the Todd English restaurant. You must climb up from 7 or
down from 9.
All very lovely at first glance but having sailed her for 24 days.
will NEVER return. Too many problems.

"JoyceR" wrote in message
Don't blame Cunard, that's me referring to her as 'Her Majesty'. She
really is majestic.

There is nothing tacky about this ship. She really is a beauty.

Joyce

JoyceR , stated: