Coolangatta airport?

Old July 17th, 2004, 03:26 AM
Alan

Default Coolangatta airport?

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:15:51 -0500, "4000 psi" nospamever wrote:

Anything else you'd like to know about the Tweed Coast?

we're in process of trying to find a 1-bedroom fully furnished rental in the
Cabarita beach area ... could you comment on the areas to avoid, etc. ...

we're also looking to rent a used vehicle for a month or two ... what is the
best way to locate all the "rent-a-ruffy" type of establishments in those
parts ...

other than that also wondering what the surfing beaches are like up around
Tweed ... i'll talk to my wife, she may have some questions regarding Tweed
as well ... i'll post if some come up ... best regards.

My agent's email (my own house is already fully booked for Xmas, so it's
not a plug:-) is , that's First National at
Pottsville Beach, but they also cover Kingscliff and Cabarita. Ph
02-66761053. Tell them I sent you, unfortunately I don't get a
commission. Their web-site is
http://www.pottsville.com.au/home.html .
At Cabarita, try Elders at Ph
02-66763000. Try not to pick school holiday time and you will get it
cheaper.
I had an American friend stay at Tamarind Sands, which are timeshares,
you'll have to do your own googling for those. I think they are through
RCI.

There are a number of car rental firms directly outside the airport
which advertise around $30 per day, no idea of their quality.

Cabarita is one of the better surfing beaches on the coast, because of
the long run from the headland, but the surf has been quiet on the whole
coast for the past month. It is slowly improving now. Duranbah is
another one that's very good, a little further north.

If you want to chat direct, remove "weightandcarbs".

Cheers, Alan
Old July 17th, 2004, 08:48 AM
Scott Howard

Crooner wrote:

"4000 psi" nospamever wrote in message
on the way to the Tweed Coast NSW from SYD is Coolangatta airport more
convenient than BNE?

Absolutely. Coolangatta is just over (into Queensland) the NSW/QLD border -

As far as the airport goes, it's even closer than that - about 1/3 of the
runway of OOL is actually in NSW (ie, Tweed Heads) whilst the other 2/3rd
plus the terminal etc are all in QLD (Coolangatta).

Cab fare from OOL to Tweed starts at about $8-10, depending on how far
you need to go.

Scott

Old July 17th, 2004, 10:03 AM
alfred

4000 psi wrote:

we're also looking to rent a used vehicle for a month or two ... what is the
best way to locate all the "rent-a-ruffy" type of establishments in those
parts ...

When I flew into Coolangatta, I had a real hard time finding decent
deals on the web and ending up booking a Europcar. It was a little
annoying to come out of the airport and find several local operators
which undercut the best I could do on the net. Apart from the distance
that BNE is up the road, the other great convenience factor that
Coolangatt had is that it is within walking distance of the main road
south, and indeed, the coast. The best way to get a cheap car might be
stash your gears at the airport and walk out to see what sort of deal
you can do on a car.

Old July 17th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Dave Proctor

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 00:21:53 +1000, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

And just to add to what everybody else said, Coolongatta is generally
cheaper to fly to than Brisbane,

Pigs arse it is. Whilst fares to OOL have come down a tad since
DeathStar commenced operating most QF services there, BNE has ALWAYS
had far more flights than OOL has, on both QF and DJ, and this was
reflected in lower fares into and out of BNE.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Old July 18th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Les Chandra

Dave Proctor wrote in
:

wrote:

And just to add to what everybody else said, Coolongatta is generally
cheaper to fly to than Brisbane,

Pigs arse it is. Whilst fares to OOL have come down a tad since
DeathStar commenced operating most QF services there, BNE has ALWAYS
had far more flights than OOL has, on both QF and DJ, and this was
reflected in lower fares into and out of BNE.

Dave

I agree. Last year we flew MEL-BNE, rail Brisbane Airport - Robina (Gold
Coast) and minibus transfer to hotel in Surfers P'dise as a package. It
was cheaper than MEL-OOL and hotel transfer.

OTOH, the OP asked about Tweed Coast, and OOL is certainly more
*convenient* for that.

Les

Old July 18th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Dave Proctor

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 04:34:08 GMT, Les Chandra
wrote:

Dave Proctor wrote in
:

wrote:

And just to add to what everybody else said, Coolongatta is generally
cheaper to fly to than Brisbane,

Pigs arse it is. Whilst fares to OOL have come down a tad since
DeathStar commenced operating most QF services there, BNE has ALWAYS
had far more flights than OOL has, on both QF and DJ, and this was
reflected in lower fares into and out of BNE.

Dave

I agree. Last year we flew MEL-BNE, rail Brisbane Airport - Robina (Gold
Coast) and minibus transfer to hotel in Surfers P'dise as a package. It
was cheaper than MEL-OOL and hotel transfer.

OTOH, the OP asked about Tweed Coast, and OOL is certainly more
*convenient* for that.

Depends on how you define "convenience". Not sure where the OP is
flying in from, but taking SYD as an example, there are hourly flights
to BNE but roughly one every three hours or so to OOL. So by flying
from SYD to BNE and transferring, I can be on the Tweed Coast before
the SYD-OOL flight has even left the ground (if the timings are
screwy) and tat to ME is far more convenient, given the cheaper fares.

Dave

=====

Old July 18th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Alan

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:59:31 +1000, Dave Proctor
wrote:

Depends on how you define "convenience". Not sure where the OP is
flying in from, but taking SYD as an example, there are hourly flights
to BNE but roughly one every three hours or so to OOL. So by flying
from SYD to BNE and transferring, I can be on the Tweed Coast before
the SYD-OOL flight has even left the ground (if the timings are
screwy) and tat to ME is far more convenient, given the cheaper fares.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Hi All

Sorry, that's just wrong. Sometimes it's worth going to the source and
checking the facts.

To answer connectivity, schedules and fares, see the table below at the
end of this. I live on the Tweed Coast, and I've flown in and out of
both airports a little too often.

To me, it's no contest. If I can find a way, it's OOL every time. That
extra hour and a bit to BNE is just unnecessary and tedious.

The smaller airport is also less stress, less crowds, closer (and
cheaper) car-park etc. Just less hassle. Fare differences can depend on
who's having a price war at the time. If you are "transferring" by cab
or the Byron-Brisbane shuttle you'll lose any tiny saving there very
quickly. And the shuttle is a lot more than an hour extra in time.

I've never had a problem with connections that couldn't be solved,
except for one up-coming where I'm forced to use BNE because there's no
direct service to OOL from Fiji.

My recommendation to the OP was to take a few days in Sydney to get over
jet-lag and do some sight-seeing en-route. Tight connections with
international flights can be traps.

On the comment on "flights every three hours" this is the schedule for
Sydney-Coolangatta tomorrow, which is not a special day in any way. On
prices, Jetstar cheapest via the net is under AU$80 average, Virgin
$75-85 and the two Qantas flights are $100 and $175 respectively. See:
www.jetstar.com.au
www.virginblue.com.au
www.qantas.com.au

Of course, there are similar schedules, though not quite as frequent to
Melbourne. Jetstar fly to Tullamarine from the Gold Coast, not Avalon,
but their Brisbane flights go to Avalon.

6:00 Jetstar
7:05 Qantas
7:10 Virgin
8:30 Jetstar