Coolangatta airport?

Old July 19th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Dave Proctor

Default Coolangatta airport?

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 08:29:33 +1000, Alan
wrote:

Hi All

Sorry, that's just wrong. Sometimes it's worth going to the source and
checking the facts.

To answer connectivity, schedules and fares, see the table below at the
end of this. I live on the Tweed Coast, and I've flown in and out of
both airports a little too often.

As have I, I fly into and out of either OOL or BNE at least once a
week.

To me, it's no contest. If I can find a way, it's OOL every time. That
extra hour and a bit to BNE is just unnecessary and tedious.

For some of us it is.

The smaller airport is also less stress, less crowds, closer (and
cheaper) car-park etc. Just less hassle. Fare differences can depend on
who's having a price war at the time. If you are "transferring" by cab
or the Byron-Brisbane shuttle you'll lose any tiny saving there very
quickly. And the shuttle is a lot more than an hour extra in time.

Whilst the fares to OOL might be similar to fares to BNE, the fact
that there are many more flights to BNE means that there are a lot
more of the deep discount fares available compared to OOL, and that
can mean a saving of hundreds of dollars.

I've never had a problem with connections that couldn't be solved,
except for one up-coming where I'm forced to use BNE because there's no
direct service to OOL from Fiji.

Well some of us have. Stop trying to say that I am wrong just because
my circumstances don't match yours.

My recommendation to the OP was to take a few days in Sydney to get over
jet-lag and do some sight-seeing en-route. Tight connections with
international flights can be traps.

On the comment on "flights every three hours" this is the schedule for
Sydney-Coolangatta tomorrow, which is not a special day in any way. On
prices, Jetstar cheapest via the net is under AU$80 average, Virgin
$75-85 and the two Qantas flights are $100 and $175 respectively.

That is IF you can get those fares, which for tomorrow I doubt.

[...pointless table snipped...]

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Old July 19th, 2004, 04:15 AM
Peter Webb

I've never had a problem with connections that couldn't be solved,
except for one up-coming where I'm forced to use BNE because there's no
direct service to OOL from Fiji.

Well some of us have. Stop trying to say that I am wrong just because
my circumstances don't match yours.

Hold on here a second. You write about your personal experiences, that's
fine.

Alan writes about his personal experiences, in exactly the same tone, and
you accuse him of "trying to say [you] are wrong". The only person who has
directly said that anybody else was wrong was you, when you made a somewhat
rude reply to me ("Pigs Arse it is"). I find it more than hypocritical that
you accuse Alan of doing something he didn't do (accusing you of being
wrong) when you seem to think this behaviour is perfectly acceptable when
you do it ("Pigs Arse ...").

And I am still gobsmacked that somebody could ask if Coolangatta is a more
convenient airport for the Tweed coast than Brisbane, and you advise them to
fly to Brisbane. Talk about connections all you like, but if the OP has
access to a map of the area and the carrier web sites its pretty bleeding
obvious which is better. And I know that truth isn't a voting issue, but the
OP may like to note that every single respondent except for Mr Proctor
seemed to think that Coolangatta is a better choice for Tweed Heads than is
Brisbane.

Old July 19th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Alan

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:15:17 +1000, Dave Proctor
wrote:

As have I, I fly into and out of either OOL or BNE at least once a
week.

Neither I, nor I suspect the OP, expected this to turn into some sort of
flame war, but let me take a wild guess here - you're doing business on
the Gold, not the Tweed, Coast? The point being that the Gold Coast is
between the two airports in question, but the Tweed Coast is twenty
further minutes south of OOL.

Anyway, I don't see much point in further argument. I'm sure those
interested have enough info to make up their own minds now. Next.

Cheers, Alan

Old July 19th, 2004, 04:38 AM
Dave Proctor

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:15:24 +1000, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

I've never had a problem with connections that couldn't be solved,
except for one up-coming where I'm forced to use BNE because there's no
direct service to OOL from Fiji.

Well some of us have. Stop trying to say that I am wrong just because
my circumstances don't match yours.

Hold on here a second. You write about your personal experiences, that's
fine.

Alan writes about his personal experiences, in exactly the same tone, and
you accuse him of "trying to say [you] are wrong". The only person who has
directly said that anybody else was wrong was you, when you made a somewhat
rude reply to me ("Pigs Arse it is").

You missed the opening comments in Alan's post: "Sorry, that's just
wrong. Sometimes it's worth going to the source and checking the
facts."

I find it more than hypocritical that
you accuse Alan of doing something he didn't do (accusing you of being
wrong) when you seem to think this behaviour is perfectly acceptable when
you do it ("Pigs Arse ...").

See above

And I am still gobsmacked that somebody could ask if Coolangatta is a more
convenient airport for the Tweed coast than Brisbane, and you advise them to
fly to Brisbane.

I advised nothing of the sort. I commented that it depends on how you
define "convenience". For some of us, being able to turn up and go
straight away is more convenient than siting around an airport for
three hours waiting for the next flight to OOL, which is sometimes
what happens with me when I need to be in OOL, sometimes the flight
times to OOL just don't suit and I can get there QUICKER and CHEAPER
by going through BNE.

Talk about connections all you like, but if the OP has
access to a map of the area and the carrier web sites its pretty bleeding
obvious which is better. And I know that truth isn't a voting issue, but the
OP may like to note that every single respondent except for Mr Proctor
seemed to think that Coolangatta is a better choice for Tweed Heads than is
Brisbane.

More twisting of the truth. I NEVER said it would always be better,
just that it MIGHT be better under SOME circumstances.

I now return you to Peter Webb's misrepresentations.

Dave

=====

Old July 21st, 2004, 07:09 PM
Dave Proctor

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:31:09 +1000, Alan
wrote:

Neither I, nor I suspect the OP, expected this to turn into some sort of
flame war, but let me take a wild guess here - you're doing business on
the Gold, not the Tweed, Coast? The point being that the Gold Coast is
between the two airports in question, but the Tweed Coast is twenty
further minutes south of OOL.

Kingscliff actually, and occasionally getting to Chinderah and
Pottsville.

Dave

=====