Ground Transportation From Buffalo Airport To Toronto

Old June 18th, 2005, 09:23 PM
LB

Default Ground Transportation From Buffalo Airport To Toronto

I'm going to Toronto at the end of July, and I thought I would be
renting a car to drive from Buffalo Airport to Toronto. Since I'm under
25 years old, the great State of New York wants to charge me $110.00
PER DAY for the pleasure of renting a car. That is definitely out of
the question now.

So, I need some alternative ideas. It looks like Greyhound will be my
best option, only $32.00 to travel from Buffalo to Toronto. But are
there any other shuttles that can take you from the airport to Toronto?
I can't change my ticket to fly into YYZ anyhow.

Any suggestions?

Old June 18th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Mike Tantillo

LB wrote:
I'm going to Toronto at the end of July, and I thought I would be
renting a car to drive from Buffalo Airport to Toronto. Since I'm under
25 years old, the great State of New York wants to charge me $110.00
PER DAY for the pleasure of renting a car. That is definitely out of
the question now.

Well, thats equality for ya.....people moaned and groaned about "age
discrimination", so anyone over 18 can rent a car in NY State. You'll
pay dearly for it though.

So, I need some alternative ideas. It looks like Greyhound will be my
best option, only $32.00 to travel from Buffalo to Toronto. But are
there any other shuttles that can take you from the airport to Toronto?
I can't change my ticket to fly into YYZ anyhow.

I'm not sure how feasible it is to do this, but you could try taking a
taxi or bus or soemthing to Niagara Falls, then cross the border at the
Rainbow Bridge (either in taxi/bus/foot), and rent a car in Ontario.
It'd probably be significantly cheaper than $110 a day. But i'd only
do this if you needed to have a car in Toronto.

Any suggestions?

Old June 18th, 2005, 10:31 PM
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

LB wrote:
I'm going to Toronto at the end of July, and I thought I would be
renting a car to drive from Buffalo Airport to Toronto. Since I'm under
25 years old, the great State of New York wants to charge me $110.00
PER DAY for the pleasure of renting a car. That is definitely out of
the question now.

So, I need some alternative ideas. It looks like Greyhound will be my
best option, only $32.00 to travel from Buffalo to Toronto. But are
there any other shuttles that can take you from the airport to Toronto?
I can't change my ticket to fly into YYZ anyhow.

Any suggestions?

I would highly recommend Greyhound. Take the Buffalo city bus to the
Buffalo terminal and a Greyhound to the Toronto terminal. We have a lot
of Canadian friends who fly from Buffalo and travel there that way. If
you are just visiting Toronto you won't need a car when you are here.
Public transportation in the city is great.

--

Seinfeld Lists
http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym

LOST - ScreenSnaps & Sawyer's Nicknames
http://tinyurl.com/a2r2r
Old June 19th, 2005, 04:58 AM
David of Broadway

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 13:23:39 -0700, LB wrote:

I'm going to Toronto at the end of July, and I thought I would be
renting a car to drive from Buffalo Airport to Toronto. Since I'm under
25 years old, the great State of New York wants to charge me $110.00
PER DAY for the pleasure of renting a car. That is definitely out of
the question now.

I wasn't aware that the State of New York was in the car rental business!
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY
Old June 19th, 2005, 10:42 PM
James Robinson

LB wrote:

So, I need some alternative ideas. It looks like Greyhound will be my
best option, only $32.00 to travel from Buffalo to Toronto. But are
there any other shuttles that can take you from the airport to Toronto?
I can't change my ticket to fly into YYZ anyhow.

Niagara Airbus operates from the airport. It costs about $70, and you
have to change vehicles once in Canada:

http://www.niagaraairbus.com/

In addition to Greyhound, there is also Coach Canada, which runs from
the Buffalo bus station:

http://www.coachusa.com/
Old June 20th, 2005, 12:13 AM
Dave P.

I actually did this not too long ago. I wanted to do a little
roadgeeking of southern Ontario, so I made a reservation at the local
Enterprise in Niagara Falls, ON. I flew into Buffalo-Niagara, took a
city bus from the airport into downtown Buffalo, and then another city
bus from downtown to Niagara Falls, NY. Then I simply crossed the
border on foot. Depending on your luggage situation (all I had was a
backpack) or your comfort with standard city buses, this may or may not
be feasible for you. I think there are several companies that run
shuttles between Buffalo-Niagara and Niagara Falls; there should be a
listing of them on the airport web site. I don't know about Toronto,
but I would guess that Greyhound would be the cheapest option.

Old June 20th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Mike McManus

LB wrote:
I'm going to Toronto at the end of July, and I thought I would be
renting a car to drive from Buffalo Airport to Toronto. Since I'm under
25 years old, the great State of New York wants to charge me $110.00
PER DAY for the pleasure of renting a car. That is definitely out of
the question now.

So, I need some alternative ideas. It looks like Greyhound will be my
best option, only $32.00 to travel from Buffalo to Toronto. But are
there any other shuttles that can take you from the airport to Toronto?
I can't change my ticket to fly into YYZ anyhow.

Any suggestions?

Depending on the time of day, you may be able to catch the one daily
train from Buffalo (and points east, all the way back to Penn Station in
NYC) to Toronto via Amtrak and VIA Rail. Generally they use Amtrak
equipment and VIA takes over operation of the train at the border.

One caveat: although you should not have to leave the train to clear
Customs, they do often stop trains bound for Canada on *both* sides of
the border (which is almost unheard of in the opposite direction).

Also, be aware that the diner car is sometimes closed more than it is
open on this run. Either get something to eat in Buffalo or wait until
you arrive in Toronto.

--
"So I'm an old hand at being banged about in the middle of the
night. Occasionally by earthquakes." -- Nick Fitch on soc.motss

Mike McManus, Rochester NY
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:54 AM
Norm Soley

"Mike Tantillo" wrote in
ups.com:

I'm not sure how feasible it is to do this, but you could try taking a
taxi or bus or soemthing to Niagara Falls, then cross the border at the
Rainbow Bridge (either in taxi/bus/foot), and rent a car in Ontario.
It'd probably be significantly cheaper than $110 a day. But i'd only
do this if you needed to have a car in Toronto.

Most Ontario rental car companies won't rent to under 25's and those that
do (Rent-a-wreck, don't think they have a NF location) cut it off at 21.
Old June 20th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Dave P.

I had no problem renting at the Enterprise location in Niagara Falls,
ON. The only thing they needed to do was call my insurance agent and
make sure I had coverage for renting a car in Canada; I'd check with
your company, but I'd imagine most comprehensive coverage plans will be
fine.

Old June 21st, 2005, 05:25 PM
Doug Broda

If you're under 25 but at least 21, there are cheaper options than
$110/day. Enterprise will rent lower. If the dates were e.g. Start:
Jul 25, 2005 @ Noon End: Jul 29, 2005 @ Noon , an economy car
would be $55.24/day plus tax. Budget has a $25/day surcharge ages
21-24, Added to the economy rate of 36.95/day, that would be a daily
charge of $61.95.

On 18 Jun 2005 13:23:39 -0700, "LB" wrote:

I'm going to Toronto at the end of July, and I thought I would be
renting a car to drive from Buffalo Airport to Toronto. Since I'm under
25 years old, the great State of New York wants to charge me $110.00
PER DAY for the pleasure of renting a car. That is definitely out of
the question now.

So, I need some alternative ideas. It looks like Greyhound will be my
best option, only $32.00 to travel from Buffalo to Toronto. But are
there any other shuttles that can take you from the airport to Toronto?
I can't change my ticket to fly into YYZ anyhow.

Any suggestions?

Doug Broda, Troy, NY, USA