Bird Guide for New Zealand:

Old September 25th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Bill Deutschman

Default Bird Guide for New Zealand:

My wife & I are planning to visit New Zealand in February and would
like to buy a bird identification book. I searched the net and found
many so I have to select one. Could anyone reccomend a good book for
identifing birds that we will see. We do not plan to search for
exotic birds, only the one's we may see on a two month cycling trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.

bill

Bill Deutschman, PhD Providing Laser Safety Training,
Oregon Laser Consultants Safety Audits, Computer Safety
455 Hillside Avenue Programs and CDRH Certification
Klamath Falls OR 97601-2337 for Laser Users.
541.882.3295
Old September 25th, 2003, 07:52 PM

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:35:40 -0700, Bill Deutschman
wrote:

My wife & I are planning to visit New Zealand in February and would
like to buy a bird identification book. I searched the net and found
many so I have to select one. Could anyone reccomend a good book for
identifing birds that we will see. We do not plan to search for
exotic birds, only the one's we may see on a two month cycling trip.

Thanks for any suggestions.

bill

IIRC there used to be a Mobil Guide to NZ Birds though it did not
cover the 'imported' birds.

Perhaps post this to:

nz.general

Cath
Old September 28th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Geoff Rait

In , Bill Deutschman wrote:

My wife & I are planning to visit New Zealand in February and would
like to buy a bird identification book. I searched the net and found
many so I have to select one. Could anyone reccomend a good book for
identifing birds that we will see. We do not plan to search for
exotic birds, only the one's we may see on a two month cycling trip.

The Reed Field Guide to New Zealand Birds
Geoff Moon
Reed
1996

The Reed Handbook of Common Birds in New Zealand
F.C. Kinsky & C.J.R. Robertson
Reed
2000

The illustrations in both of the above are mostly photographs. The former is
more comprehensive ("all the birds found on mainland New Zealand"), the
latter focuses on the common birds - including the introduced ones, which as
Vicki has noted are the ones you'll most frequently encounter.

The Field Guide to the Birds of New Zealand
Hugh Robertson & Barrie Heather
Viking
2000

"The only field guide ... endorsed by the Ornithological Society of New
Zealand". 74 colour paintings.

Collins Birds of New Zealand
Chloe Talbot Kelly
HarperCollins

230 species; paintings.

You might also like to consider:

Collins Field Guide to New Zealand Wildlife
Terence Lindsey & Rod Morris
HarperCollins
2000

which has information on and photographs of the more common birds, mammals,
insects, fish, etc., both native and introduced.

For more on these and other books, go to "Bookstore" at
http://www.natureandco.co.nz .

Geoff

--
Actually, I do have spots.