living in europe

Old September 19th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Ellie C

Mxsmanic wrote:

amy radcliff writes:

I am seriously considering moving to Europe (from the States). The
problem is of course the details--its overwhelming all the questions
that emerge.

You need a job and a visa, both of which are extremely difficult to
obtain.

More specifically, you need to show that you can support yourself. My
husband and I retired to France 2 years ago and we don't have jobs. But
we had to show that we would be able to support ourselve, which in our
case was showing that we had an income. At the time when we were
applying for our long-stay visas, the financial requirement was that a
couple had to show that they either had an income equal to about 12,000
euros per year, or that much in the bank. These long stay visas then
become the basis for a Carte de Sejour which each year checks the same
financial information.

You're best off choosing a country first and then finding out the
residency requirements for that country. We got all of our initial
information from the website for the French consulate.

As for health care, we are covered by the French health care system,
which I have found to be very good and much more easily available than
what I experienced in the US. Our first year in the system was expensive
(although not by US standards) because our payment was based on our
previous year's income, which was large since we both were still
working. It will go down considerably now that we have filed French tax
returns and have proof of a very modest income.

Old September 19th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Jens Arne Maennig

amy radcliff wrote:

I am seriously considering moving to Europe (from the States). The
problem is of course the details--its overwhelming all the questions
that emerge. Could anyone recommend a place to get started? A
website devoted to Americans emigating, a book, etc?

ISBN 0809229897 could be helpful to do it the easiest way.

If it matters, employment is not a huge problem...I'm more interested
in questions of residency status, tax issues (do I pay taxes there or
in the States, for instance), qualifying for health care, and so on...
again, any help gratefully recieved.

Why not simply find somebody who cares for you? This will work in any
European country. If you don't like this option, you would have to be a
bit more specific. Any country you would prefer? Any knowledge of
certain languages?

I hear they are desperately looking for foreign workers in Molvania...

Jens
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:22 PM
AJH

Chris Jones wrote:
I've done this a few times. See a discussion of issues you will face in
my chapter "Living in Europe: Travel to the Max as an Expatriate" at
http://www.enjoy-europe.com/hte/chap22/living.htm

Interesting read, to see how European things are viewed from "the other
side". However, I'm wondering how long ago this was written? Some things,
such as "Because credit cards are expensive, few Europeans use them" are
simply no longer true.

I like this bit:

"At home, room doors are normally kept closed within the house. Rooms
which are not used much are not heated because of the high cost of gas
and oil"

Huh? I may turn down the rad in the spare room but the door is
generally open. And I'd question all the stuff on phones and faxes
being more expensive than America - that stuff is dirt cheap nowadays -
and the ubiquity (or otherwise) of pulse dialling.

Stuff like this needs to be datestamped and taken with a pinch of salt
if it is over a year old.

Old September 19th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Juliana L Holm

One of my favorites is the backpackers note not to wear jeans in europe sinde
you will be identified as an American. On my last few trips to europe it
seemed everyone was wearing jeans!

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old September 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Juliana L Holm" kirjoitti
One of my favorites is the backpackers note not to wear jeans in europe
sinde
you will be identified as an American. On my last few trips to europe it
seemed everyone was wearing jeans!

I suppose it has been so several decades now. Personally I don't pay
attention to such things. Well, I did recognize this young chap at the
Hannover Hauptbahnhof, who was wandering around wearing pyjamas in early
1980's......

Old September 19th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Juliana L Holm

Rita wrote:
I think all advice on what to wear or not wear while traveling in
Europe is dumb. From my observations, Europeans dress every which
way and there is no standard to adhere to. Neat and clean is good
wherever one travels, and beyond that, suit yourself. Dressing for
comfort and packing light are good rules to follow and I like clothing
that can stand up without frequent laundering, but
that's a personal preference. Personally I'd rule out jeans because
they are bulky and also slow to dry if you have to wash them out.
But again, a personal preference.

I agree with this generally and I usually don't take jeans to Europe. I'm
leaving next Thursday on a trip where I am breaking ALL my rules. No packing
in one suitcase. I'm carrying jeans, and lots of clothes. This is cause
I'm going for two months, and will be there into early December. It will be
a bit of a hassle the first weekend and the middle weekend, when I am between
places with all my luggage, but I'm four weeks at a time in Berlin, then
Bonn, studying with the Goethe Institut.

I do have a full 3 or four days worth of clothes, all of which coordinate,
all of which dry quickly, can be easily washed out in a sink, etc.

--
Julie
**********
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Tim Challenger

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:37:59 GMT, Rita wrote:

I like clothing that can stand up without frequent laundering,

just like most of my clothes when I was a student ... ;-)
--
Tim C.
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM
The Reids

Following up to amy radcliff

If it matters, employment is not a huge problem...I'm more interested
in questions of residency status, tax issues (do I pay taxes there or
in the States, for instance), qualifying for health care, and so on...
again, any help gratefully recieved.

Any particular country? I assume you don't speak all European
languages?
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM
The Reids

Following up to Rita

From my observations, Europeans dress every which
way and there is no standard to adhere to. Neat and clean is good
wherever one travels, and beyond that, suit yourself.

Nah, no need for a suit :-) From my observations "Europeans" in
this context don't exist! But as you say, neat and clean will do.
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:16 PM
The Reids

Following up to Mxsmanic

The fastest way to obtain the right to live in Europe is to marry a
European national.

are you offering, Mixi? This could be a way forward for you.