Reid

Old March 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Judith Umbria

Default Reid

From: "The Reid"
Subject: Americans in Europe
Date: Monday, March 15, 2004 10:33

i'm a Euro who has never been to US. My
perception is I would want to visit:-
Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Monument valley is it called IIRC?

That's a separate place, Reid.

NYC,New Orleans and some little unknown town somewhere "middleAmerica". how
does that seem?

Sounds like that could be lots of places to you! Like Chicago, Minneapolis,
Kansas City, St. Louis -- all big cities, not Podunk, KY.

I don't know why people always love new mountains so much, when the really
ancient ones of the east are perhaps even nicer to visit. The Rockies look
great, but they are covered with chairlifts and cables. And Grizzlies!
And then what about Alaska?

Mike Reid

Old March 15th, 2004, 03:35 PM
The Reid

Following up to Judith Umbria

Hey, thanks for the new thread title, I feel like I have my own
personal travel agency!

i'm a Euro who has never been to US. My
perception is I would want to visit:-
Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Monument valley is it called IIRC?

That's a separate place, Reid.

I know, I know. Umbria! Three places, Yosemite (which I nowadays
know is called Yo- cem-itty not rhyming with Marmite) Grand
Canyon (not the one in France) and the place where they made
westerns before going to Spain to make spaghetti westerns (do you
think they missed a food point there?)

NYC,New Orleans and some little unknown town somewhere "middleAmerica". how
does that seem?

Sounds like that could be lots of places to you! Like Chicago, Minneapolis,
Kansas City, St. Louis -- all big cities, not Podunk, KY.

No, no, it has to be "small town America". My theory is that
travellers should visit a big city and a small ordinary place.
People see London, think they know England, they need to go to
"middle England" somewhere like "Needham Market" or Hatfield
Peveril". "Podunk, Kentucky" sounds the sort of place you would
see a completly different America? OK, its got no museums or art
galleries but I bet it would be interesting in some way or other.

I don't know why people always love new mountains so much, when the really
ancient ones of the east are perhaps even nicer to visit.

The Appalachian trail, right? Read a book about that and met some
people who lived there. What does that prove? Nada!

The Rockies look
great, but they are covered with chairlifts and cables.

I hate ski "development", Rockies or Alps.

And Grizzlies!

I dont like animals with teeth than run faster than me.

And then what about Alaska?

Alaska appeals. McKinley or what its called now. Real wilderness.

OK
NYC, New Orleans and Cajan food Alaska, Yosemite, GC, MV, Twin
Peaks and Podunk.

the southern bits might make a conceivable single trip and I have
friends in Texas.
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso
Old March 15th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Juliana L Holm

The Reid wrote:
No, no, it has to be "small town America". My theory is that
travellers should visit a big city and a small ordinary place.
People see London, think they know England, they need to go to
"middle England" somewhere like "Needham Market" or Hatfield
Peveril". "Podunk, Kentucky" sounds the sort of place you would
see a completly different America? OK, its got no museums or art
galleries but I bet it would be interesting in some way or other.

absoloutely! My parents lived in England for 2 years, and I saw much more
of the English people and culture when I spent 2 weeks with them in Fleet,
outside of Basingstoke.

I don't know why people always love new mountains so much, when the really
ancient ones of the east are perhaps even nicer to visit.

The Appalachian trail, right? Read a book about that and met some
people who lived there. What does that prove? Nada!

Good place for Small Town America, too. Or Small City America. Try
Asheville, NC, Charlottesville, VA, some place like that.

Alaska appeals. McKinley or what its called now. Real wilderness.

OK
NYC, New Orleans and Cajan food Alaska, Yosemite, GC, MV, Twin
Peaks and Podunk.

I like this.

--
Julie
**********
Old March 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM
The Reid

Following up to Juliana L Holm

and I saw much more
of the English people and culture when I spent 2 weeks with them in Fleet,
outside of Basingstoke.

Did you go as far as Crookham?
Old March 15th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Juliana L Holm

The Reid wrote:
Following up to Juliana L Holm

and I saw much more
of the English people and culture when I spent 2 weeks with them in Fleet,
outside of Basingstoke.

Did you go as far as Crookham?

No, indeed we went to a lot of touristy places, but spent some days in
Fleet, at at the local pub, visited with the neighbors, shopped downtown
at Woolworths.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old March 15th, 2004, 05:12 PM
mimi

"Judith Umbria" wrote in message
I don't know why people always love new mountains so much, when the really
ancient ones of the east are perhaps even nicer to visit. The Rockies

look
great, but they are covered with chairlifts and cables. And Grizzlies!
And then what about Alaska?

Uuuuh...maybe you need to look a little farther in the Rockies than Aspen.
You know, they go all the way up into Canada.

My preference is for mountains with snow--all year round. What good is a
mountain with no snow?

Marianne

Old March 15th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Judith Umbria

"mimi" wrote in message
Uuuuh...maybe you need to look a little farther in the Rockies than Aspen.
You know, they go all the way up into Canada.

My preference is for mountains with snow--all year round. What good is a
mountain with no snow?

Marianne

Mountains good, ugh, no matter whether snow or no. Atlas, Andes,
Appalachians (sp) all good mts sometimes without snow.
I really have been over a lot of the Rockies, even Sun Valley, which is
almost Canada if you look at the whole map. I've never been to Aspen.

Old March 15th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Judith Umbria

"The Reid" wrote in message
Following up to Judith Umbria

Hey, thanks for the new thread title, I feel like I have my own
personal travel agency!

Sometimes when I click reply there's no subject and it makes me insert one
before it will send it. But you can have your own TA if you like, hell of a
job. Doesn't pay much.

Old March 15th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Hatunen

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:00:32 GMT, "Judith Umbria"
wrote:

Mountains good, ugh, no matter whether snow or no. Atlas, Andes,
Appalachians (sp) all good mts sometimes without snow.
I really have been over a lot of the Rockies, even Sun Valley, which is
almost Canada if you look at the whole map. I've never been to Aspen.

Or one can think of Banff as almost the USA.

Old March 15th, 2004, 11:10 PM
randee

Contrary to public opinion, while perusing the real estate listings in
ASpen a couple years ago, I did spot a house for sale for less than US
$1M. But even around Aspen most of the mountains will lose their snow
by the end of July. Not sure what is the European equivalent to Aspen
as I am not a skier - St. Moritz maybe?? Cortina?
--
wf.