Scores die in Russian plane crash

Old September 14th, 2008, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Frog in a bucket

Default Scores die in Russian plane crash

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7614951.stm

A passenger plane that crashed on the outskirts of a Russian city,
killing all 88 people on board, probably had a technical failure,
officials say.

The Boeing-737-500, belonging to a branch of the national airline
Aeroflot, was on a flight from Moscow to Perm, near the Ural
mountains.

Twenty-one foreign passengers were on board.

Radio contact with the plane was lost as it was landing amid low cloud
cover, said the airline.

"The Boeing-737 carried 82 passengers on board, including seven
children, and six crew," Aeroflot said in a statement.

'Completely destroyed'

"As the plane was coming in for landing, it lost communication at the
height of 1,100 metres and air controllers lost its blip. The airplane
was found within Perm's city limits completely destroyed and on fire."

My neighbours told me that it was burning in the air, it looked like a
comet

City of Perm resident

The minister for security in the region said the plane was on fire
before it crashed.

"The fire broke at an altitude of 1000 metres," he said.

Contact with the plane was lost at 0321 Moscow time on Sunday (0021
BST), said the airline.

The flight crashed on the city outskirts, just a few hundred metres
from residential buildings, but no one was hurt on the ground.

Part of the Trans-Siberian railway was shut down as a result of damage
to the main east-west train track.

The blaze raged for two hours before firefighters were able to put it
out.

The 21 foreigners killed were listed as nine people from Azerbaijan,
five from Ukraine and one person each from France, Switzerland,
Latvia, the United States, Germany, Turkey and Italy, Aeroflot said.

The most likely cause of the crash was technical failure, Vladimir
Markin, a spokesman for the federal prosecutors' Investigative
Committee, told Russian television.

Investigators have recovered two black box recorders from the crash
site. There was no immediate suggestion of an attack or sabotage.

Scorched earth

Correspondents say the tragedy will be a setback for Russian aviation,
which has been trying to shake off a chequered safety record.

Aeroflot deputy director Lev Koshlyakov said no problem was reported
with the 15-year-old jet when it was last inspected at the beginning
of 2008.

map

A woman in Perm told Vesti-24 TV how she was thrown out of bed by the
force of the blast when the plane crashed.

She said: "My daughter ran in from the next room crying: 'What
happened? Has a war begun or what?'

"My neighbours, other witnesses, told me that it was burning in the
air, it looked like a comet."

Pavel Shevchenko, 36, who lives in Perm near the crash site, told AP
news agency that a neighbour saw the plane hitting the ground sharply
- at a 30 or 40 degree angle.

The aircraft belonged to Aeroflot-Nord - Aeroflot's regional airline.

Sunday's accident was the deadliest involving a Russian airliner since
170 people died in August 2006 when a Tupolev-154 bound for St
Petersburg crashed in Ukraine.
Old September 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
tile

Frog in a bucket wrote:
[...]

apparently the plane belonged to an Irish Leasing company and was on lease
till 2013

Old September 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Frog in a bucket

On 14 Sep, 16:06, "tile" wrote:

[...]

....registered in Bermuda...

Old September 14th, 2008, 08:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Robert Cohen

737

does anybody reading this try to avoid flying on a certain model of
737, and if so, then please tell candidly why

i realize some were subsequently modified perhaps because of a tail
fin difficulty

(i would not want to fly on an AEROFLOAT anything, and my reason is
there seems to me an historically worse risk
percentage)

i am not an engineer, nor a safety expert, nor a statistics mongeror,
and i apologize if this expressed preference is deemed dumb/offensive

i sort of shut my mind down when i do get onto what i think is a 737
airplane, of which i realize are very prolific and thus hard to avoid,
though (i think) Air Tran does not fly them
Old September 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
LVTravel[_2_]

"Robert Cohen" wrote in message
737

does anybody reading this try to avoid flying on a certain model of
737, and if so, then please tell candidly why

i realize some were subsequently modified perhaps because of a tail
fin difficulty

(i would not want to fly on an AEROFLOAT anything, and my reason is
there seems to me an historically worse risk
percentage)

i am not an engineer, nor a safety expert, nor a statistics mongeror,
and i apologize if this expressed preference is deemed dumb/offensive

i sort of shut my mind down when i do get onto what i think is a 737
airplane, of which i realize are very prolific and thus hard to avoid,
though (i think) Air Tran does not fly them

Actually AirTran has a few 737-700 models holding 145 seats (12-125) that
they fly but predominately they fly 717-200s holding 125 seats (12-105)
(which are newer versions of MD 80s.)

Old September 15th, 2008, 05:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Pietro

Robert Cohen wrote in

:

(i would not want to fly on an AEROFLOAT anything, and my reason
is there seems to me an historically worse risk
percentage)

.... Aeroflot

Old September 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Pietro" wrote in message
Robert Cohen wrote in

:

(i would not want to fly on an AEROFLOAT anything, and my reason
is there seems to me an historically worse risk
percentage)

Yeah, sure bud, like the fact that there hasn't been a serious Aeroflot
accident since 1994.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/a...rline=Aeroflot

Gerry

Old September 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
I bring you the news

On Sep 15, 3:22*am, "Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:
"Pietro" wrote in message

Robert Cohen wrote in

:

(i *would not want to fly on an AEROFLOAT anything, and my reason
is there seems to me an historically worse risk
percentage)

Yeah, sure bud, like the fact that there hasn't been a serious Aeroflot
accident since 1994.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/a...rline=Aeroflot

Gerry

but....
Old September 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
James Robinson

I bring you the news wrote:

"Gerald Oliver Swift" wrote:

"Pietro" wrote in message

Robert Cohen wrote

(i *would not want to fly on an AEROFLOAT anything, and my reason
is there seems to me an historically worse risk percentage)

Yeah, sure bud, like the fact that there hasn't been a serious
Aeroflot accident since 1994.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/a...rline=Aeroflot

but....
Sunday's accident was the deadliest involving a Russian airliner since
170 people died in August 2006 when a Tupolev-154 bound for St
Petersburg crashed in Ukraine.

but....
That wasn't Aeroflot.