Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

Old December 17th, 2008, 12:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
sharx35

Default Report from the US, a nice but somewhat backward country.

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message
b.home.nl...
[rec.travel.australia+nz re-added. See below as to why. Please don't
break it again, at least not for this sub-thread. Thanks.]

pltrgyst wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:45:09 +0100, Frank Slootweg

wrote:

pltrgyst wrote:
... But because you keep snipping [1] the 'Newsgroups:' line
for no apparent/good reason, it might not apply in your neck of the
woods.

[1] Or is Forte Agent *that* broken?

No, I just don't care to cross-post. I only inhabit
rec.travel.usa-canada.

No offense, but we (TINW) don't care that you don't care, and we don't
care which group(s) you inhabit. Someone posted in some groups and you
responded.

You responded to . I doubt that you know for sure
that he subscribes to rec.travel.usa-canada. I know that he subscribes
to rec.travel.australia+nz. So it's quite possible that he would not see
your response (in this case "would not have seen", because of my
crossposted response).

I find such practices strange and rather impolite, not to mention
unneccessary.

As I'm sure you're aware, posting to multiple groups is often
inappropriate, and almost always leads to off-topic subthreads or
derivatives lingering forever in both groups.

That's a non-argument, because we were discussing English language
aspects, which are *especially* applicable to both groups, and you
*specifically* said "where you live", i.e. where tony lives.

As to posting to multiple groups often being inappropriate, that may
be true, but is hardly relevant. The only *relevant* issue is, whether
or not it is inappropriate in *the case at hand*. I don't think it is,
and not because it is 'my' thread (see above).

IME/IMO, stripping groups most of the time creates more problems than
it 'solves', and stripping without saying so is nearly always
inappropriate.

FWIW, *my* rule is that I don't strip groups, unless they are *totally
and utterly* inappropriate, *and*, if and when I do, I leave all groups
in the Newsgroups: line intact and strip only in the Followup-To: line,
*and* *say so* in my text. In that way, nobody is taken by surprise.
(That is how Newsgroups:/Followup-To: should be used.)

N.B. I realize full well and acknowledge that you can do as you damn
well please, but that does not mean that we have to take it lying down,
does it!? :-)

People with LIVES don't have time to bugger around stripping groups out of
posts. Just ADD to it and send it on its way. It is NOT your problem to
censor UseNet.

Old December 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Mike O'Sullivan

wrote:

Spelt, in it's other guise than above, is actually an ancient variety
of wheat.

As grown by the Romans in Britain. Still available. In fact I baked with
it just last week.
Old December 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:24:30 +0100, Frank Slootweg

[...]

Spelt, in it's other guise than above, is actually an ancient variety
of wheat.

of, to add bloody insult to bloody injury, bloody *European* bloody
origin!

No No , from most of the googling I've done, it seems that it
originated around Mesopotamia some 6000 odd years ago, and then later
was very common in Europe from around 5000 or so years ago.

Old December 18th, 2008, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Sharx35 wrote:
[...]

People with LIVES don't have time to bugger around stripping groups out of
posts. Just ADD to it and send it on its way. It is NOT your problem to
censor UseNet.

This time, only two [1] out of three of your sentences were utter
********! So you're improving! Keep up the good work!

[1] Well, actually all three, but I'm in a good mood, it being the
festive season and all that.
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

[Apparently 'talking to' anybody *but* pltrgyst/Larry.]

pltrgyst wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:17:07 +0100, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

[rec.travel.australia+nz re-added. See below as to why. Please don't
break it again, at least not for this sub-thread. Thanks.]

OK. I'll leave the headers intact just this once.

Thanks.

No, I just don't care to cross-post. I only inhabit rec.travel.usa-canada.

No offense, but we (TINW) don't care that you don't care, and we don't
care which group(s) you inhabit. Someone posted in some groups and you
responded.

No offense, but I don't care that you don't care that I don't care. There's
nothing that says I have to play by your imaginary rules and cross-post.

FWIW, as I said, they are not imaginary and not my rules, but *the*
rules, at least for the how to use Newsgroups: and Followup-To: part.

I intended my reply for consideration by only those in the usa-canada
group. I have no interest in discourse with those discussing travel in
the southern hemisphere.

That may well be, but, as I said, you addressed a *person* or/and a
*topic*. The person probably/possibly only subscribes to australia+nz.
The topic was not any more on-topic in usa-canada than it was in
australia+nz, and it was not related to "discussing travel in the
southern hemisphere", so the second sentence of your above argument
doesn't fly.

.... N.B. I realize full well and acknowledge that you can do as you damn
well please, but that does not mean that we have to take it lying down,
does it!? :-)

On USEnet? Of course not! Have at it! But first, Frank, as I sit here sipping
MacChouffe and nibbling a sensational Boerenkaas, it was nice meeting you. But
all good things must come to an end, so -- {threadkill} and {plonk}.

Thanks for the *order* of the threadkill/kill, I *think*! :-)
Old December 18th, 2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

.. wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:17:07 +0100, Frank Slootweg wrote:
[msge snipped & rec.travel.australia+nz deleted]

[rec.travel.australia+nz re-added. See below as to why. Please don't
break it again, at least not for this sub-thread. Thanks.]

It had no business in rec.travel.australia+nz to begin with as you
well know Frank.

Hi Cath! Long time no 'see'! We have this hate/love thingie going on,
don't we? We trash eachother, unless someone else trashes either of us,
then one comes to the rescue of the other. Weird, but kinda nice.

Anyway, care to explain *why* you think it had no business in
australia+nz to begin with? *I* *said* why I thought it was justified to
crosspost. Just - implicitly - saying "You're wrong!", without
explaining why, doesn't cut it.

IME/IMO, stripping groups most of the time creates more problems than
it 'solves', and stripping without saying so is nearly always
inappropriate.

FWIW, *my* rule is that I don't strip groups, unless they are *totally
and utterly* inappropriate, *and*, if and when I do, I leave all groups
in the Newsgroups: line intact and strip only in the Followup-To: line,
*and* *say so* in my text. In that way, nobody is taken by surprise.
(That is how Newsgroups:/Followup-To: should be used.)

Again, no blardy biz in rec.travel.australia+nz.

Again: *What* is "no blardy biz in rec.travel.australia+nz" and *why*?

Cath

Old December 19th, 2008, 02:49 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 17:47:49 +0100, Frank Slootweg
wrote:

.. wrote:
[...]

Ooh ! Looks like the "Net Cop" is back once more....
Old December 19th, 2008, 07:07 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
sharx35

wrote:
[...]

Like many Euros, Frank thinks that HE knows best.

Old December 19th, 2008, 07:22 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:07:21 GMT, "Sharx35"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:
[...]

You Misunderstood Sharx35.

I was referring to the "Net Cop" Cath................

The controller of "rec.travel.aus+nz...............