Guardian: Greeks fear Olympic rip-offs

Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Sufaud

Default Guardian: Greeks fear Olympic rip-offs

Greeks fear Olympic rip-offs

Helena Smith in Athens
Tuesday August 3, 2004
The Guardian

The Greek authorities are distributing price lists of commonly bought
items, including kebabs and bottles of water, in an attempt to stop
local businesses from ripping off visitors to the Olympic games.

The leaflets, which come in several languages including Chinese, will
be distributed at Athens airports and other entry points in the run-up
to and during the August 13-29 games.

The first government-endorsed lists are expected to appear tomorrow.

Last week, Greece's Restaurant Association admitted that
establishments had already doubled prices in popular tourist areas in
Athens. "Hundreds of inspectors will also visit restaurants and shops
during the games to make sure prices are not being inflated," said
Kleanthis Hatzinikolaidis, a spokesman at the development ministry.
"This is a practice that brings shame to our country and has to stop."

About 400 specially trained municipal police officers will also make
inspection tours during the games.

With more than half of the Olympics' 5.3m available tickets still
unsold, officials are desperate to attract visitors by assuring them
that they will not fall victim to profiteers. "We will make a special
announcement when we unveil and explain the lists," said Andreas
Banoutsos, an adviser to the minister of commerce.

In a sign of the scale of the problem, non-profit groups such as the
Institute for the Protection of Consumers yesterday began distributing
their own lists.

Items ranged from fast food to alcoholic drinks, bus tickets, beach
umbrellas and visits to the doctor. Tourists were also warned about
wayward taxi drivers and restaurateurs who "forget" to hand out
receipts.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athens20...274642,00.html
Old August 3rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
tim

"Sufaud" wrote in message
Greeks fear Olympic rip-offs

Helena Smith in Athens
Tuesday August 3, 2004
The Guardian

The Greek authorities are distributing price lists of commonly bought
items, including kebabs and bottles of water, in an attempt to stop
local businesses from ripping off visitors to the Olympic games.

I don't imagine this will be much worse than the prices charged
at any sporting event, it's not like they have a confusing currency
any more.

Last week, Greece's Restaurant Association admitted that
establishments had already doubled prices in popular tourist areas in
Athens.

Only 'doubled'! I doubt anyone will notice

I read stories of top hotels increasing their charges 5 fold.
Unsurprisingly they are finding it hard to get customers
at 1400 Euro per night. I don't see anyone policing this?

tim

Old August 4th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Sarah Banick

I read stories of top hotels increasing their charges 5 fold.

I've lived through one World's Fair (Knoxville) and one Olympics (Atlanta).
The only folks who ever made any money were the businesses that ignored the
hype and greed and concentrated on keeping their regular customers happy.

Sarah