Kilimanjaro Intl. late

Old September 16th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Orzowei

Default Kilimanjaro Intl. late

1st November IŽll be flying into Kilimanjaro Intl. airport, scheduled
arrival at 20.30. Is it feasible to apply for visa directly at the airport?
As it may get late going through customs, baggage claim, visa, IŽd
appreciate any suggestions on whether to stay nearby the airport or try to
reach Arusha the same day, will there be transportation to Arusha that late?
any guest house recommended or affordable hotel to overnight that day, well
in Arusha or airport? YouŽll understand I donŽt feel like wandering about
looking around for accommodation late at night. Anywhere IŽll stay,
transportation to reach Arusha?
Thanks.
JR

Old September 17th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Gary Balfour

"Orzowei" wrote in message ...
1st November IŽll be flying into Kilimanjaro Intl. airport, scheduled
arrival at 20.30. Is it feasible to apply for visa directly at the airport?
As it may get late going through customs, baggage claim, visa, IŽd
appreciate any suggestions on whether to stay nearby the airport or try to
reach Arusha the same day, will there be transportation to Arusha that late?
any guest house recommended or affordable hotel to overnight that day, well
in Arusha or airport? YouŽll understand I donŽt feel like wandering about
looking around for accommodation late at night. Anywhere IŽll stay,
transportation to reach Arusha?
Thanks.
JR

First, you should have no problems in getting a visa on arrival so
long as you have your payment ready in US Dollars (varies depending on
nationality) and your valid passport. There are some countries that
require advance visas, but most European and North American passport
holders can buy on arrival.

You may be over-estimating the size of Kilimanjaro International. You
will arrive at Gate 1. There is only one gate. You will have to go
through the health desk, the visa desk (you can do these in either
order as they are near each other) and then collect your bags and go
through customs. The whole process should not take more than 20
minutes depending on how many people are on the flight.

There will be taxis available out front. The fare is negotiable in
ADVANCE and should not be more than $75.00 (75,000/- Tanzania
Shillings).

There is no accommodation near the airport, so that makes the decision
of staying in Arusha or near the airport easy. It is only 60
kilometres to Arusha, a one hour drive at most.

Places to stay in Arusha: Mezza Luna (budget and good), Impala Hotel
(more expensive but good), Hotel 77 (budget but poor), Arusha by Night
Annex (budget but I wouldn't stay there), And a few more.

Enjoy.
Gary

Trivia challenge, free e cards, latest information at www.safari.cc

Hi!
Wow is it really that expensive with taxis? Its almoast the same price as
here(sweden)!
IŽm arriving at nairobi kenyatta airport late the 30:th of september.
I guess there will be taxis available, what is a reasonable fare to nairobi?
I think we will stay at upper hill camp site. Do you think its nessesary to
book a room in advance?
THANKS!

Old September 18th, 2003, 08:23 AM
Orzowei

Thanks a lot, it was not I overestimated the size of the airport but perhaps
the bureaucrasy and slow pace going through customs, visa, etc. A last
question: will be feasible to book directly from Arusha a safary starting
the very next day, easily? I have not much a problem arranging the safary on
the next day upon arrival if startin also the next day.
From your answer I assume thereŽs no other kind of transportation from the
airport.
Defenetely itŽs not a cheap ride, I agree with poster above.
Regards

Old September 18th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Gary Balfour

"Orzowei" wrote in message ...
Thanks a lot, it was not I overestimated the size of the airport but perhaps
the bureaucrasy and slow pace going through customs, visa, etc. A last
question: will be feasible to book directly from Arusha a safary starting
the very next day, easily? I have not much a problem arranging the safary on
the next day upon arrival if startin also the next day.
From your answer I assume thereŽs no other kind of transportation from the
airport.
Defenetely itŽs not a cheap ride, I agree with poster above.
Regards

You should be able to find something for that day, but use caution.
This is where many people get conned. Don't buy off the street.
Don't even talk to people off the street about wanting to find a trip.
Ask the hotel staff for assistance and then go to their office.

If you stay at the Impala or Mezza Luna, there are three tour
companies that are good in that area. Leopard Tours, Classic Tours
and Bushbuck. One of them should be able to help.

You might also check on line now with reputable firms.
www.safari.cc/tato will take you to the Tanzania Association of Tour
Operators' website. There, you can contact any of their more than 100
members for information. They have a new site launched yesterday with
lots of information on it. (Sadly, it is no longer hosted by my site
but you can still get there through the above link)

One advantage will be that you can ask them to include the transfer
from the airport in your booking (and the arrival hotel). As they
will most likely have a vehicle at the airport collecting other
clients, this cost is shared and hence cheaper.

I hope this helps.

Gary
Visit www.safari.cc for current exchange rates.
Old September 18th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Gary Balfour

"Joel" wrote in message ...
Hi!
Wow is it really that expensive with taxis? Its almoast the same price as
here(sweden)!
IŽm arriving at nairobi kenyatta airport late the 30:th of september.
I guess there will be taxis available, what is a reasonable fare to nairobi?
I think we will stay at upper hill camp site. Do you think its nessesary to
book a room in advance?
THANKS!

It is intresting that many people think that things in Africa should
be much cheaper than they are in Europe. Importation fees are between
50% and 100% of the cost of the car depending on age and type. Petrol
is more than half a Euro per litre. And the poor road conditions
mean frequent, costly repairs.

Jomo Kenyatta International Airport is a lot closer to Nairobi than
Kilimanjaro is to Arusha. Taxis there should run about 1,500 Kenya
shillings or around $20.00. Again, set the price before you go.

I have never had a client at Upper Hill, but I can check and get back
to you tomorrow.

Safari Njema.
Gary

www.safari.cc