Teterboro Incident: Allegedly Wing Frosted

Old February 7th, 2005, 12:36 AM
Robert Cohen

Default Teterboro Incident: Allegedly Wing Frosted

recent Teterboro incident:

perhaps to mandatorily de-ice all planes taking-off in freezing weather (?)

*perhaps conceive/implement some kind of an exterior "airplane warmer," such
as an "gigantic electric blanket" (?)

*I was listening to National Public Radio some time ago, and a Russian
gentleman told about a gigantic PARACHUTE thing he had invented for large (?)
or small (?) planes whose engines fail while in the air, and supposedly it
actually worked/works; and so I can't totally discount the seemingly
absurd/impossible, and especially when I or family am occasionally along

I shall never forget taking-off in the falling snow (runway was covered) at
Newark--we were maybe the last plane to take-off that Sunday night on a
Valentine's weekend approx 2-3 years ago to Atlanta

key paragraphs of Newsday article:

"...The wings of the CL-600 Challenger, manufactured in Canada, are
particularly susceptible to problems from icing on takeoff.

Although there was no precipitation at Teterboro before the chartered plane
attempted to take off about 7:20 a.m. Wednesday, the conditions were ripe for
frost forming on the wing. The plane had arrived the night before from Las
Vegas, a flight that would take the plane through extremely cold, high
altitudes, and was stored overnight on the ramp instead of inside a hangar
where frost would be less likely to develop. The pilot did not request the
plane be de-iced...."

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nation...4134543feb04,0,
277194.story?coll=ny-nationalnews-headlines

NY NEWSDAY copyright 2005

www.nynewsday.com

Was it too late?
NTSB says pilots may have waited too long to cancel takeoff, overrunning
Teterboro runway

Email this story

Printer friendly format

Photos

Jet crash at Teterboro Airport (GETTY IMAGES PHOTO)
Feb 2, 2005

------
More Coverage
S. Fla. flight attendant credited with saving lives in N.J. air crash
Feb 3, 2005

------
Slide Show

Photos: Jet crash

------
Video

Plane crash
(The WB11 FeedRoom)

------
More Coverage
11 escape N.J. plane crash
Feb 2, 2005

------
Top Stories
Bush budget could substantially cut NY Medicaid funding in addition to trims
already posed by Pataki

President has work cut out for him to convince skeptics his Social Security
plan is the way to go

Bush stumps for Social Security plan

GOP works on marketing Social Security plan

Was it too late?

BY SYLVIA ADCOCK
STAFF WRITER

February 4, 2005

Federal investigators said yesterday they were looking into whether the pilots
of the business jet that plowed into a warehouse near Teterboro Airport had
aborted the takeoff too far down the runway, when the plane was going too fast
to cancel the liftoff.

It's still not clear why the pilots aborted the takeoff, which forced the
CL-600 Challenger through a metal fence at the end of the New Jersey runway,
across a six-lane highway, and through a warehouse wall.

Investigators were looking at whether frost on the wings could have caused
control problems as the pilots were attempting to get airborne. The National
Transportation Safety Board hoped to interview the pilots yesterday. They were
both hospitalized in fair condition.

Everyone on board survived the crash, although the passenger of a car hit by
the aircraft remained in critical condition.... (the complete article is at
www.nynewsday.com)

Old February 7th, 2005, 02:35 AM
Lee Witten

(Robert Cohen) wrote in
:
*I was listening to National Public Radio some time ago, and a Russian
gentleman told about a gigantic PARACHUTE thing he had invented for
large (?) or small (?) planes whose engines fail while in the air,
and supposedly it actually worked/works; and so I can't totally
discount the seemingly absurd/impossible, and especially when I or
family am occasionally along

There is such a thing for small aircraft. I have seen one installed
in a glider, and have heard they are available for powered aircraft
too. Google up "ballistic recovery system". A rocket is used to
deploy the parachute, to make it deploy as fast as possible,
which is important if you are near the ground when you decide to
deploy it. The advantages relative to wearing a parachute is
comfort, and given that the pilot lands with the aircraft, the
fuselage of the aircraft can protect the pilot. Also there is
more chance that the aircraft will be salvageable after the
incident.

key paragraphs of Newsday article:

"...The wings of the CL-600 Challenger, manufactured in Canada, are
particularly susceptible to problems from icing on takeoff.

Not sure it's the only type for which this can be said.

Although there was no precipitation at Teterboro before the chartered
plane attempted to take off about 7:20 a.m. Wednesday, the conditions
were ripe for frost forming on the wing. The plane had arrived the
night before from Las Vegas, a flight that would take the plane
through extremely cold, high altitudes,

Pretty misleading. Any flight where the aircraft reaches crusing
altitude for any appreciable time will bring the aircraft through
air whose temperature is well below freezing.

and was stored overnight on
the ramp instead of inside a hangar where frost would be less likely
to develop. The pilot did not request the plane be de-iced...."

Not many aircraft get to spend the night in the hanger.

I think 1 of 16 planes that left TEB that morning requested de-icing.