Going to Dar es Salaam from Nairobi

Old September 19th, 2005, 02:49 AM

Default Going to Dar es Salaam from Nairobi

Hello,
I was wondering how we can get from Nairobi to Dar es Salaam.
Train would be the best option,however nice bus would do to(we have
10yrs olb boy brave ,but maybe not enough brave)
we are talking about late June early July 2006
Our final destination is island of Zanzibar
best regards
Anita

Old September 19th, 2005, 03:01 AM
Dave Patterson

Here's the place I would start.
http://www.eastafricashuttles.com/
Good vehicles.
Not expensive.
Reliable.
Ask them about service from Arusha to Dar.

Old September 19th, 2005, 06:35 AM
riverman

Don't worry about your brave boy. Nairobi to Dar to Zanzibar is
completely doable, you can take a train, a bus, a plane or rent a car.
I'd rent a car; good roads (and ferrys), and it will be a great
adventure for the kid.

For your 10 year old, too. :-)

--riverman

Old September 19th, 2005, 11:17 AM
joseking

hallo i tourism industry as a driver/guide in Kenya for many years. the
Best i would recommend for you is you take a shuttle bus from Nbo to
Dar es Salaam. In our company they always book the clients Riverside
Shuttle which has got an office in Nairobi. Since we always the
tourists about the whole safari after the trip they always sai the bus
were in excellent condition and safe. Give it a try. I would be happy
to give you more information that you may need about Kenya.Where will
you be visiting if i may ask?

Old September 19th, 2005, 01:53 PM
joseking

the train i wouldn't really advice on that try the shuttle buses

Old September 20th, 2005, 12:55 AM

Hello
to all nice people who answer my question
http://www.eastafricashuttles.com/ that web site pretty much responds
to my demand but, rivereman suggested renting a car(I have never given
much of thoughts about it because of the myth about african roads you
know, two 4 by 4 always together GPS gas problems etc etc....) and
seems really nice idea.As for jeseking we are planning to go around
Easter Holidays,but do not forget we will be only going from Nairobi
to Dar es Salaam,then our final destination is island of Zanzibar"The
only reason why we are not flying directly to Dar es Salaam because we
fly Stand By and our company does not fly there(We need confirm
tickets)The latest news is that we can not fly even to Nairobi WE CAN
ONLY FLY TO; Yaounde,Dibuti,Brazzaville and Johanesburg of the closest
ones.
The real question is know How to get from one of those destinations to
Dar es Salaam by train Bus or rented car?
best regards
Anita

Old September 20th, 2005, 01:21 PM
riverman

Hi Anita:
I didn't realize you were going one-way, or that your true destination
is Zanzibar. A rental car, or car and driver, is doable, but will be
VERY expensive between Nairobi and Dar one-way, and worst of all you
will pass many world-class destinations and not have time to visit
them.

If your company will fly you to Joberg, then I'd suggest taking that
flight and then getting a SouthAfrican Airways flight. R/T is only
about $200 US. DO NOT even consider flying in/out of Yaounde or
Brazzaville!! I spent 3 years living in West Central Africa, and you
could find yourself stuck at those airports for your entire vacation.
Flights in and out are few, and if one is cancelled (as often happens),
you have to hang around for several days for the next one, which could
be full.

Check out www.flysaa.com.

--riverman

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Dave Patterson

riverman wrote:

If your company will fly you to Joberg, then I'd suggest taking that
flight and then getting a SouthAfrican Airways flight. R/T is only
about $200 US.

The lowest round trip fare available is on their web site.
R2500 - which is about $400.
Next R/T fare is R5200 - about $835.

Old September 20th, 2005, 04:54 PM
riverman

I stand corrected, thanks Dave. I didn't realize that the R1200 they
listed was for each direction.

But a quick search on Travelocity.com shows that 1-week r/t tickets
(JNB-DAR) are available on AirMalawi for $572, and there are many SAA
flights for under $801, down to $407.
www.flightcentre.com shows some great specials to Zanzibar from SA,
also. I think some more searching could probably find a r/t ticket on
an ducttape airline for under the $400 mark, but probably not as low as
I first thought.

--riverman

Old September 20th, 2005, 05:31 PM

"The latest news is that we can not fly even to Nairobi WE CAN ONLY
FLY TO; Yaounde,Dibuti,Brazzaville and Johanesburg of the closest ones.
The real question is know How to get from one of those destinations to
Dar es Salaam by train Bus or rented car?"

The only way to get from any of those places to Dar es Salaam in any
reasonable length of time is to fly. I would assume that the cheapest,
most frequent, and most reliable flights would be from Johannesburg.

If you have enough time, you might be able to go from Johannesburg to
Dar es Salaam overland - if you have to avoid Zimbabwe this becomes a
lot harder. Going overland from Yaounde, Brazzaville, or Djibouti to
Dar es Salaam would be extremely difficult and time-consuming, and
depending on your route might involve significant dangers.