luggage allowance

Old October 1st, 2003, 01:18 AM
MC

Default luggage allowance

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...

MC wrote:

Recently travelled first class on Hawaiian from HNL to SFO and even

though
the rest of our itinerary (in international Biz Class with BA and

Qantas)
allowed 32kg per person, Hawaiian would not allow more than 50lb per

bag.
We had 2 bags. One was 9lb over the other 11lb under. We were made to

take
out 9lb from the "overweight" one and put it in the "underweight" one at

the
FC check-in desk.

Then they had the cheek to select us for extra security screening by

marking
our boarding passes with SSSS

Is it really a good idea to tell the people they have selected?

We didn't realise until we were probed and given the 3rd degree by security.
It was they who told us that "your airline has selected you for extra
security screening".

MC

Old October 1st, 2003, 12:16 PM
gerald

Like I said the limit on NW Int'l to from USA is 2x32kg. Learn to
read the fine print, and the footnotes!!!!!!!!

http://www.nwa.com/services/shipping...html#intl_free

Luggage Services
Frequently Asked Questions

International Free Luggage Allowance
Checked Luggage
For international travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico
and the Caribbean (including Puerto Rico), Northwest Airlines will
accept checked luggage up to a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23kg) and
a maximum total linear dimension (length plus width plus height) of 62
inches (158 cm). Luggage weighing between 50 and 70 pounds will be
assessed $25USD / $39 CAD per piece and luggage weighing between 70
and 100 pounds will be assessed $50 USD / $77 CAD per piece. Luggage
weighing over 100 pounds will not be accepted as checked luggage.

For all other international travel to/from the United States/Canada,
Northwest will accept a total of two pieces of checked luggage,
subject to maximum weight limitation, which is 70 lbs. (32 kgs) per
piece and not more than 62 linear inches (158 cm) per piece. For
international travel outside the United States/Canada (example: within
Asia or between Amsterdam and Mumbai), the maximum checked luggage
weight limitation is 44 lbs. (20 kgs) for Coach Class and 66 lbs. (30
kgs) for World Business Class.

Carry-

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 21:27:35 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

gerald wrote:

If the trip is all on one ticket, the 32kg prevails. If separate
tickets, each section has separate rules.\

Even on NW where it is 50 lbs for domestic and internation??

Old October 2nd, 2003, 04:51 AM
Max Olof

I'm astonished that you need that much luggage!
20kg per person is the norm for most non-US flights, in my experience, which
is adequate for most trips.
I've just moved to NZ for a year, & we flew AirNZ via LA specifically for
the extra allowance, but just getting 4 x 32kg bags to the airport was a
minor logistical exercise.
We stopped in Samoa & had a nasty moment when the local staff tried to
charge us for (4 x 32) - (2 x 20)kg excess baggage!
I feel sorry for the baggage 'handlers' - a 32kg is a real hernia inducer

Max

Old October 2nd, 2003, 06:26 AM
mrtravel

Max Olof wrote:
I'm astonished that you need that much luggage!
20kg per person is the norm for most non-US flights, in my experience, which
is adequate for most trips.

Years back the standard for international travel was 20 Kg (44 pounds)