Kuala Lumpur Accommodation Advice

Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:25 PM
pinnpin79

Default Kuala Lumpur Accommodation Advice

Hi,

We are planning on stopping in Kuala Lumpur on our way to Australia at
the beginning of December. We arrive at KLIA at 7.20 on a Monday
morning and leave at 9.40 on the Thursday morning. Our initial idea
was to stay at the Concorde INN at the airport and commute into KLIA
as and when we needed to (I believe the train is 28minutes?) The
reason for this was we thought it would stop us having to carry large
amounts of luggage about and may make checking in that early in the
morning more hassle free. Our travel agent has suggested staying in
Kuala Lumpur and spending only the night before we leave at the
airport.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which idea would be better.
Also does anyone have experience of staying at the airport and
travelling into Kuala Lumpur - do you feel cut off as you are so far
out?

Thanks in advance
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:40 PM
PeterL

"pinnpin79" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Stay in town.

Thanks in advance

Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Alfred Molon

In article , pinnpin79
says...
[...]

Just take a taxi and stay in KL. There are many nice hotels in town, for
instance the Concorde.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from China, Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest, Singapore and Portugal
Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:51 PM
heinrichvogt

PeterL wrote:
"pinnpin79" wrote in message
[...]

There is plenty of space on the train for luggage. I would recommend

staying at KLIA only for a one night stopover. Otherwise you'll probably
get bored at the airport pretty soon. You could stay at a hotel close to
KL Sentral, but the Bukit Bintang area, where many hotels are located is
not very far away. Take a cab on Thursday morning from your KL hotel to
KL Sentral and get on the train to KLIA there. These links might be useful.
http://www.stesensentral.com
http://www.kliaekspres.com

Regards
Henry
Old February 23rd, 2005, 12:14 AM
Kevin Hendrikssen

"PeterL" wrote in message

"pinnpin79" wrote in message
om...
Our travel agent has suggested staying in
Kuala Lumpur and spending only the night before we leave at the
airport.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which idea would be better.
Also does anyone have experience of staying at the airport and
travelling into Kuala Lumpur - do you feel cut off as you are so far
out?

Stay in town.

Definitely. KLIA is a long way from the city (80kms IIRC), but the train is
very modern and designed for travellers' needs.

Oh, and when you depart KL you can check in to Malaysia Airlines at KL
Sentral train station, they take your bags off your hands so it's just you
and your hand baggage which is great. So I don't think there's any need to
stay even one night out at the airport.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:25 PM
RaT

Hi
I would echo Alfreds advice. I go to KL about 3 times a year and have tried
the various transport arrangements, so heres my opinion; Dont stay at the
airport hotel, it is a bit isolated and I personaly dont think it is very
nice compared to the city hotels. The train to the city is good, and as you
say only takes 28 mins. However when it gets to KL sentral, (assuming you
choose to stay in a city hotel) you will still need to get to wherever you
are staying. This will probably entail a taxi. You will have to carry you
bags, suitcases etc from the train to the cab. The KL monorail syastem runs
through L sentral but again with bags etc its not to good. Dont forget KL is
hot and humid! My advice would be to get a proper airport cab straight from
the airport to you hotel. That way you do not have to carry you
bags/sutcases in the heat at all. On arrival at KL airport, there are some
proper authorised airport taxi counters where you buy a voucher to you
destination. My advice would be to get a retun voucher, as it is slightly
cheaper. (than 2 singles) (if there is more than one of you it will be about
the same as the train anyway)The night before you leave, ring them up and
tell them the time to pick you up and they will be there. I have found them
reliable. Agreed the taxi takes longer than the train to Kl but by the time
you have arrived at KL sentral and then transfered to a cab you may have
well taken a cab in the first place. The cost of the cab from the airport to
Kl city centre is about RM120 return I belive if my memory serves me right,
(if anyone knows different please correct me!) As to hotels in the city, as
Alfred said the Concorde on Jalan Sultan Ismail is OK, I personnaly stay at
the Mandarin Oriental. I would highly recomend it.
(http://www.mandarinoriental.com/hote...p?pHotelId=516) Their
internet offers are sometimes good. It is located right next to the KL twin
towers and the KLCC shopping centre. within this complex the Kl monorail has
a station to. Very easy to get around. I would stay in KL city and leave
early morning when going back to the airport. Why bother to unpack twice?
Will give you more time in the city.
Hope it helps

Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Kevin Hendrikssen

"RaT" wrote in message
The train to the city is good, and as you say only takes 28 mins. However
when it gets to KL sentral, (assuming you choose to stay in a city hotel)
you will still need to get to wherever you are staying. This will probably
entail a taxi. You will have to carry you bags, suitcases etc from the
train to the cab. The KL monorail syastem runs through L sentral but again
with bags etc its not to good. Dont forget KL is hot and humid! My advice
would be to get a proper airport cab straight from the airport to you
hotel. That way you do not have to carry you bags/sutcases in the heat at
all. On arrival at KL airport, there are some proper authorised airport
taxi counters where you buy a voucher to you destination.

Actually that's good advice. The airport limo service has a monopoly so
there's one fixed price and that's that (just like everything at KLIA -
Malaysia has very tough governmental control).

My advice would be to get a retun voucher, as it is slightly cheaper.
(than 2 singles) (if there is more than one of you it will be about the
same as the train anyway)The night before you leave, ring them up and tell
them the time to pick you up and they will be there. I have found them
reliable. Agreed the taxi takes longer than the train to Kl but by the
time you have arrived at KL sentral and then transfered to a cab you may
have well taken a cab in the first place.

Depending on where you stay in KL the train could still be a good option on
the way back to KLIA even if just being able to check in there and dispose
of your bags without having to wait in a long queue. For me it was a nice
relief to be free of baggage - and kind of strange turning up at the airport
virtually empty-handed.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:30 PM
RaT

With regards to checking in at KL sentral on the way back, check that if you
are not travelling on MAS that the airline you are using has check in
facilities at KL sentral

Old February 23rd, 2005, 04:35 PM
Kevin Hendrikssen

"RaT" wrote in message
With regards to checking in at KL sentral on the way back, check that if
you are not travelling on MAS that the airline you are using has check in
facilities at KL sentral

Well, chances are if someone is travelling from LON via KUL then they're
flying MAS. But yes, I don't think any other airlines have check in at KL
Sentral.

Old February 24th, 2005, 12:40 AM

You should stay at the Hilton or Le Meridien Hotel at KL Sentral
station. It is only 28 minutes by express train from the airport, and
there are monorail connections to the rest of the city, so it is very
convenient. The hotels are brand new and very nice, especially the
Hilton, and I think you can get very reasonable rates from their
website.