Is Vienna the only city alive in Europe on weekends?

Old March 30th, 2009, 07:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default Is Vienna the only city alive in Europe on weekends?

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:45:14 +0100, Tom P wrote in post :
:

Over the weekend while we were there they went off to go skiing in Kitzbuhel.

They must have been "maximising profits" to be able to afford a weekend in
Kitz. :-)

--
Tim C.
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-03-27, tim..... wrote:

I can't recall that I've ever been to a major city where the majority of
restaurants close at weekends, Shops yes, restaurants no.

Me neither. Friday and Saturday are the big days for restaurants, cafees
and bars. Sunday can be slow, as the business and their patrons try to
recover from the previous nights. But it's still a far cry from closed.
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jesper Lauridsen[_1_]

On 2009-03-27, Tom P wrote:
PJ O'Donovan wrote:

If by closed Monday and Tuesday you mean "Ruhetag", this is the day
when the restaurant is shut. It does not mean that the hotel is shut.

PJ has been told about "Ruhetag" before, but refuses to take notice.

I concluded some years ago that this place must be there as a hobby
or tax write off for some aristocrat. There certainly is no attempt
at maximizing revenue.

Staffing and heating a hotel when occupancy rates are rock bottom, does
not maximize revenue.

Btw, aristocrats doesn't have any money, and operating a losing business
to get a tax deduction doesn't make any sense.
Old April 11th, 2009, 04:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PJ O'Donovan[_3_]

On Mar 30, 1:55 pm, Jesper Lauridsen
On 2009-03-27, tim..... wrote:

I can't recall that I've ever been to a major city where the majority of
restaurants close at weekends, Shops yes, restaurants no.

Me neither. Friday and Saturday are the big days for restaurants, cafees
and bars. Sunday can be slow, as the business and their patrons try to
recover from the previous nights. But it's still a far cry from closed.

...Sunday can be slow, as the business and their patrons try to
recover from the previous nights. But it's still a far cry from
closed.

Jesper Lauridsen

Sundays in most places in Europe die without any indication of faint
heart beats anywhere to evidence human habitation at all except in the
churches. Some places are just worse than others. I've learned to
forget about some activities in the event of the numerous national
holidays.

I've been traveling to Europe now for over 40 years now and Vienna is
just not quite as bad in that respect as other places in Europe which
was the context of this thread

I live in a small city in Southwest State of Georgia, USA with under
10000 population. The super market closest to us is open 07:00 to
23:00 7 days a week.
Xmas day is the only day it closes.

We also have Walmart which includes a food market open 24/7. There are
also a half a dozen convenience store / gas stations open 24/7 in our
city. Something is even open Xmas day

Call it the American pursuit of the almighty buck if you like but
nothing like the convenience we have here exists anywhere in Europe
where closing and locking things up seems to be an art form.

As far as "Ruhetag" is concerned I've experienced the disappointment
of "Ruhetag" in Europe many times, seeking out a fine restaurant or
deciding to return after finding a good one and finding it is
"Ruhetag".

Most better restaurants in the USof A are open 7 days and a weekday or
mid week "Ruhetag" is unheard of with our restaurants. Granted some
religious fanatics will close on Sundays but one can usually always
find a restaurant somewhere open on Sundays in the smallest of cities
like our own.
Old April 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"PJ O'Donovan" kirjoitti

I live in a small city in Southwest State of Georgia, USA with under
10000 population. The super market closest to us is open 07:00 to

Some people are just unfortunate.

23:00 7 days a week.
Xmas day is the only day it closes.

We also have Walmart which includes a food market open 24/7. There are
also a half a dozen convenience store / gas stations open 24/7 in our
city. Something is even open Xmas day

Walmart is something like Sittari and Anttila in Finland. Gas stations
deliver gasoline whether manned or not. Next time you visit one you will
see a slot in the console from which you are running the pump. You insert a
plastic card in it and a screenplay suggests to start filling the tank.

Old April 11th, 2009, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 08:26:31 -0700, PJ O'Donovan wrote:

[...]

Who writes this nonsense?

I live in a town of about 40,000 in northern England

Our local Tesco is open 24/7 (10:00 to 16:00 Sundays) 363 days a year,
the other large supermarkets are open 7:00 to 22:00. Most restaurants
are open 7 days a week and we have a 24 hour 365 day petrol station

--
William Black
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:18:51 +0100, William Black wrote
(in article ):

Who writes this nonsense?

I live in a town of about 40,000 in northern England

Our local Tesco is open 24/7 (10:00 to 16:00 Sundays) 363 days a year,
the other large supermarkets are open 7:00 to 22:00. Most restaurants
are open 7 days a week and we have a 24 hour 365 day petrol station

Yes but that's the UK. When I started travelling driving regularly through
France and Italy a few years ago I quickly realised that things were
different there and one had to be quite careful on Sundays. Outside the big
towns, particularly in France all super markets and shops are closed and
after mid-day everything closes down. It's quite hard to find to find
anywhere to eat, and buying petrol is impossible. We've often had to resort
to eating at take-away fast food joints (run by immigrants of course) on a
Sunday evening.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 11th, 2009, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:56:48 +0100, Mike Lane wrote:

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 19:18:51 +0100, William Black wrote (in article
):

Who writes this nonsense?

I live in a town of about 40,000 in northern England

Our local Tesco is open 24/7 (10:00 to 16:00 Sundays) 363 days a year,
the other large supermarkets are open 7:00 to 22:00. Most restaurants
are open 7 days a week and we have a 24 hour 365 day petrol station

Yes but that's the UK. When I started travelling driving regularly
through France and Italy a few years ago I quickly realised that things
were different there and one had to be quite careful on Sundays. Outside
the big towns, particularly in France all super markets and shops are
closed and after mid-day everything closes down. It's quite hard to find
to find anywhere to eat, and buying petrol is impossible.

Motorway services...

--
William Black
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 22:55:10 +0100, William Black wrote
(in article ):

[...]

In France I avoid motorways (and 'N' roads) as far as practicable, so OK, I
was wrong - it's not impossible. What I meant was if you are in a small town
in France on a Sunday you might have to make a considerable detour and pay a
motorway toll charge just to buy fuel.

(I must remember to dot my "i"s...)

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Old April 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 08:40:03 +0100, Mike Lane wrote
(in article . com):

dot my "i"s

Oh dear! Should have written i's

--