Fish and Chips in London

Old June 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM
a.spencer3

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Forty years ago when I lived in London, I was poor, and I have fond
memories of spending my last few shillings for hot, tasty fish and
chips, sprinkled with vinegar and salt, and served in a newspaper. Do
such simple, old-fashioned fish-and-chips stalls still exist, and if
so, were are the good ones? I will be returning to London this summer,
and staying in Russell Square"

Pubs are your best bet for fish and chips. These neighborhood chip
shops tend to serve really greasy, low-quality stuff.

Pub/restaurant fish & chips rarely come up to the quality of the chippies'.

Surreyman
Hundreds of trivia quizzes on travel, geography, history and much more on
http://www.sploofus.com/?ref=surreyman

Old June 6th, 2005, 04:10 PM
a.spencer3

wrote in message
oups.com...
Mark:
Except at Harry Ramsdens ;-)

Not entirely fair - Harry Ramsden's in Inverness was judged best chippy
in Scotland not long ago. I have eaten in some of the ones it narrowly
beat, and if it's better than them, I'm impressed.

I had one at one of the HR motorway franchises and it was very distinctly
undistinguished.

Old June 6th, 2005, 04:44 PM
S Viemeister

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:45:42 -0400, S Viemeister

Not entirely fair - Harry Ramsden's in Inverness was judged best chippy
in Scotland not long ago. I have eaten in some of the ones it narrowly
beat, and if it's better than them, I'm impressed.

Where is the Inverness Harry Ramsden's?

Inverness? :-)

I _knew_ someone would say that!

Inshes Business Park,
Inverness, IV2 3TW

Ah - that's why I don't know the place - it's well outside the centre.
Girvan's (near the big shopping centre) does excellent fish and chips.
It's not a chippie, though, it's a proper licenced restaurant.

Sheila
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:52 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Deep Foiled Malls wrote:

On 6 Jun 2005 06:59:28 -0700, wrote:

"Neighbourhood chip shops are your best bet for fish and chips. Pubs
tend to serve dry, low-quality stuff."

That wasn't my experience. Just avoid chain pubs and pubs in tourist
areas.

Forget the greasy fish and chips and just down a Whopper instead and
then concentrate on boozing. Food still isn't England's strong point.

Load of rubbish.

It isn't the weak point it once was either. I had some of the best
chinese food I've had anywhere a couple of weekends ago in Birmingham,
and judging by the clientele (who were mostly Chinese) I'd say they
seemed to enjoy it too. Over the weekend I had one of the best steak
dinners I've had in a while. (Gaucho Grill in Manchester- it's a
franchise, and I don't think got enthusiastic reviews by other r.t.e
posters, but I thought it was excellent- if on the pricey side.)
Excellent Turkish food the next night. Seriously DFM, I'm beginning to
wonder if either you're just having a laugh, or you purposely go to
dives when you're in the UK? It's a while since I've had a meal I was
really unsatisfied with here, and I travel around the country quite a
bit. Actually, I was a bit ****ed off with Yo Sushi on Wardour Street a
few weeks ago. What they had was fine- but when I was there, there
wasn't much variety. They seem to have gone downhill at that branch- the
one in Manchester's Selfridges seems OK still.

Is 'English' food England's strong point? Not always, but there are
simply too many good restaurants here nowadays to poo-poo them. My only
problem with any of the restaurants I go to here are if there are any
stinking, inconsiderate smokers in them. Hopefully, they'll all get
flushed out in a couple of years if the smoking ban comes into effect...

--
David Horne-
www.davidhorne.net
Old June 6th, 2005, 04:59 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and

Martin wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 15:08:10 GMT, "a.spencer3"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Forty years ago when I lived in London, I was poor, and I have fond
memories of spending my last few shillings for hot, tasty fish and
chips, sprinkled with vinegar and salt, and served in a newspaper. Do
such simple, old-fashioned fish-and-chips stalls still exist, and if
so, were are the good ones? I will be returning to London this summer,
and staying in Russell Square"

Pubs are your best bet for fish and chips. These neighborhood chip
shops tend to serve really greasy, low-quality stuff.

Pub/restaurant fish & chips rarely come up to the quality of the chippies'.

Except in Yorkshire where they are sometimes better.

I was working in Aldeburgh last summer, and I was given the quaintest
little cottage on the high street. Just across the road was an excellent
fish and chip shop. I overindulged enough to do me for the rest of the
year!

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old June 6th, 2005, 05:05 PM

Forget the greasy fish and chips and just down a Whopper instead and
then concentrate on boozing. Food still isn't England's strong point.

Load of rubbish.
It isn't the weak point it once was either.

London is not quite in the category of New York, Paris, or Tokyo for
food, but its restaurant scene has improved a lot, and it's certainly
possible to get first-rate French, Italian, Thai, Middle Eastern, and
of course Indian food there. Unless you're on a minimal budget or
restricting yourself to strictly British food there's no reason to be
disappointed. I haven't spent enough time in the other British cities
to judge them.

Old June 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM
The Reids

Following up to chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn and
prestwich tesco

Food still isn't England's strong point.

Load of rubbish.

It isn't the weak point it once was either.

there's still ground to make up on Italy, France and Spain but
its a very out of date view to think food in england is nowadays
poor. The weak point is probably the bottom end of the market.
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site