Foreign tourists flocking to the US.

Old November 24th, 2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

Default Foreign tourists flocking to the US.

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 00:01:13 +0100, Magda wrote:

What will you do if you have twins, one of each?

Stay here, and devote my life to ensuring my son doesn't dress like a
faggot, even if he is one.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old November 27th, 2006, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Anonymouse

Hi,

there's almost always deals going one way or the other.

it's the nature of international commerce.

I've done r/t memphis amsterdam for $250usd...

I've seen london for $199.

I know I can save that much... heck a couple of bottles of Champagne
saves 100+$ these days coming into the states.

cars can be a deal going both ways depending on what you're looking for.

Several european auto manufacturers do deals for us nationals buying new
cars in europe... saves on taxes...

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:21:00 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the royal duchy of city south and deansgate) wrote:

mini Mini wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote in
:

[]
And if anyone thinks it's possible to fly to America to save some
money, they have rocks in their head. Of course Marie-Pierre Lalande
probably had a free flight which would have helped...
Exactly what I thought!
She's not really a tourist, is she? And this certainly not new for FAs.
In 1993 on a flight from London, I was sitting next to a FA who was
flying to NYC for Xmas shopping, list of requested items a mile long.

Actually, I know a lot of people who have flown to the US just for
shopping. Whether they would save money on the whole trip I don't know,
but they were certainly enticed to go by the savings. You can fly to the
east coast of the US for £250. You can certainly save more than that,
providing you don't get hit by customs when you return. (I don't know
anyone who ever has.) I would have saved about that much if I had bought
my macbook in the US, come to think about it...

Then you need to add the others costs like accomation and transport.

Possibly there are other ways you could get a better deal, such as buy
somewhere on the continent.

I mean, going to the USA for a shopping trip is one thing, but
thinking you will save money? I very much doubt it.

--
To live outside the law, you must be honest.
(Bob Dylan - Absolutely Sweet Marie - Blonde on Blonde - 1966)
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

I've said that if we have a girl, we stay in Italy, if we have a boy,
we go to OZ or NZ. I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out why.

Elaborate.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

I mean, going to the USA for a shopping trip is one thing, but
thinking you will save money? I very much doubt it.

Well they can take in the sights as well as shop.

NY times had articles whenever the dollar was sliding, about Europeans
flying over to Manhattan to spend.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

poldy wrote:

In article ,
Dave Frightens Me wrote:

I've said that if we have a girl, we stay in Italy, if we have a boy,
we go to OZ or NZ. I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out why.

Elaborate.

Judging by some recent posts on this, I'm guessing that Italian men have
a reputation for staying longer at home with their parents? It's
happening in lots of places too. I've read about the phenomenon in Spain
and the UK- in both cases related more to rising house prices than the
fondness for mum's cooking...

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://www.davidhorne.net/pictures.html http://soundjunction.org
Old December 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Iceman

Dave Frightens Me wrote:
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:30:00 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:24:07 +0100, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

Last week I moved all my UK savings here. Looks like I timed it
brilliantly!

:-)

My kids have spent mine.

Ah, that's the mistake I didn't make!

I've said that if we have a girl, we stay in Italy, if we have a boy,
we go to OZ or NZ. I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out why.

Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Old December 4th, 2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 20:45:25 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the royal duchy of city south and deansgate) wrote:

Dave Frightens Me wrote:

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:14:51 +0000,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the royal duchy of city south and deansgate) wrote:

[]
It's
happening in lots of places too. I've read about the phenomenon in Spain
and the UK- in both cases related more to rising house prices than the
fondness for mum's cooking...

If the desire to be independent from the parents exists, people will
find a way to make it affordable. The costs are merely an excuse.

I disagree, at least in the case of the UK where the number of people
staying at home longer with their parents has increased, despite a
relatively good economy. I think that's clearly got more to do with
house prices than a sudden love for mum and dad.

If young people want to sharehouse, they can always find a way. Even
if it involves renting a ******** place on the outskirts of town, it
can still be done.

You're missing the point. I daresay that many of these people could live
in some "********" somewhere else, but the fact that they don't doesn't
mean that they love living with their parents, just that the
alternatives are worse.

The problem comes when mum and dad are prepared to subsidise them
endlessly.

Sorry, I see the problem as more to do with house prices than I do with
family relationships. Having said that, I left home at age 18, and never
looked back.