cabs in NYcity

Old September 16th, 2003, 10:12 PM

Default cabs in NYcity

We will be sailing this Saturday on the Serenade of the Seas out of NYC.
We are taking the bus from South Jersey and will need to take a taxi from
the bus station. Can anyone out there tell me what the fee will be for the
taxi? I think I read somewhere that it is better to get out across the
street and not have the taxi wait in the long line to get to the port . Is
that a good idea? We want to save every penny we can to "play" on the
ship!!! Thanks for your comments.
Margie
Old September 16th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Mike Cordelli

Bus station to the docks if traffic is good five to seven dollars. If
traffic is bad it will be a few dollars more.

Saving a few dollars or trying to cross the west side highway with bags.
Saving a few dollars or trying to cross the west side highway with luggage.
I'd skip one drink on board and stay in the cab.

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Jean O'Boyle

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message
m...
Bus station to the docks if traffic is good five to seven dollars. If
traffic is bad it will be a few dollars more.
Saving a few dollars or trying to cross the west side highway with bags.
Saving a few dollars or trying to cross the west side highway with

luggage.
I'd skip one drink on board and stay in the cab.

The traffic to the pier is horrendous if there are three or four ships
docked. We stayed in a SoHo area hotel and it just *crawled.* when we took
the cruise on the Zenith 8/23. Besides we had Saddam, (really was his
name!) who wanted us to get out of our cab four blocks away from the Zenith
because he did not want to sit in the traffic. He pulled off West Side
Highway and opened my side of the cab and insisted that I get out. I refused
and told him that I was going to report him. Ed told him no way were we
going to get out~ we had told him our destination and that I had had
multiple surgeries recently and was not going to drag luggage for four
blocks. He asked how much further we wanted to go and I told him four more
blocks and he could let us out across the street from the ship. He angrily
got back in, turned off the meter and drove up the block, took the street
parallel to West Side Highway for four blocks and turned left and drove down
to the corner of West Side Highway where there were many people struggling
with luggage; who were either embarking or disembarking from the ships in
port. He apologized profusely, said he was sorry but he did not know about
my surgeries and hoped I would be okay and reminded us that he had turned
off the meter after he got back into the cab and gone the extra 4 blocks. He
had a real surprised look on his face when Ed tipped him! I believe the
meter said $10.75 when he stopped it. Anyway, if there is a lot of traffic,
it is not very difficult to pull your luggage across West Side Hwy. Cars and
taxis are in long lines queuing up to where the passengers need to get off
and actually it was faster doing it the way that we did as there is a desk
on the other side of the street where they take your luggage and you walk
right into the building to be processed.

--Jean

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:52 PM
Tom & Linda

I did the crossing when Linda dropped me off for the Norwegian Dawn.
There are red lights there. Not a problem. I had 2 bags on wheels that
I pulled.

--Tom

Old September 17th, 2003, 02:06 AM
Jean O'Boyle

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
I did the crossing when Linda dropped me off for the Norwegian Dawn.
There are red lights there. Not a problem. I had 2 bags on wheels that
I pulled.

I know~we did that on your advice, Tom

--Jean