British and North American equivalents

Old September 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Terry Richards

Default British and North American equivalents

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
"Terry Richards" wrote:

My name did indeed come over with William.

Just the name?

Who knows? Surnames were often inherited from the employer / landlord.

Either my lot came over with the Norman conquest or were serfs of somebody
that did. Looking at some of my relatives in the male lineage, I suspect the
latter

T.

Old September 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
David Gee

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message

I was in a pub in conversation with some of my fellow peasants and a
member of the Irish landed class. He was asked how long he had lived
at his current address and his artless response was "We came over with
Cromwell."

Reminds me of the Texan invited to spend the weekend at an English
country house. His host grew tired of his guest's constant bragging
about how much bigger and better things were back home. When the Texan
saw the perfectly tended lawns, he exclaimed "How do you get your lawn
to look like that? Tell me your secret, and I'll plant a lawn back home
that will be the envy of Texas!" His host artlessly replied "We simply
water it and roll it every day ... for six hundred years."

Old September 12th, 2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
erilar

In article ,
"Terry Richards" wrote:

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message

But the governing classes spoke Norman French. Maybe Terry is of that
lineage, and you need to tip your forelock.

My name did indeed come over with William.

T.

So did one of my ancesters, but not the Loomer one.

--
Mary, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism : the habitual longing to purchase, read, store,
admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
Old September 18th, 2007, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Crossley

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Further, "per capita" is not the correct measure, as that doesn't take
into account differences in usage patterns. Distances in the US are
greater than in European countries and public transport in the US is
less accessible, so Americans as a group drive more and for greater
distances. I don't know if this is also the case for Australians.

Until I looked at the table
http://www.driveandstayalive.com/inf...apita-2003.htm I
thought this argument had some validity. But places such as Spain, Belgium,
and Greece are right up there with the USA. As is Russia. At least in the
wide-open places such as USA and Russia you would think they have enough
room to miss each other.

My opinion: (1) Roundabouts are such a simple, quick and easy way to get
folks through a not over-busy intersection. I hate sitting at traffic
lights (the more pervasive US affliction) looking at an empty road. (2)
Standards of driving and courtesy vary dramatically. Comparing them, it is
a joy to drive in the UK where people actually drive in appropriate lanes
and give you room.

Keith Crossley
Webster, NY

Old September 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Gabby

"jenny" wrote in message
Real estate terms are diferent in the USA and Canada, and even different
in eastern and western Canada.
One example is a duplex. I have seen " up-downs" called a duplex because
it has two distinct living quarters. Out here, a duplex is 2 single houses
attached on only 1 side. Up/downs are up/downs :-) one upper and one
lower unit of housing.
Welcome to the wonderful world of terminology :-))

If you go by the Canadian Census, a duplex is an up/down and a side by side
is a semi-detached.

Gabby

Old September 25th, 2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:19:25 -0300, "Gabby"
wrote:

"jenny" wrote in message
Real estate terms are diferent in the USA and Canada, and even different
in eastern and western Canada.
One example is a duplex. I have seen " up-downs" called a duplex because
it has two distinct living quarters. Out here, a duplex is 2 single houses
attached on only 1 side. Up/downs are up/downs :-) one upper and one
lower unit of housing.
Welcome to the wonderful world of terminology :-))

If you go by the Canadian Census, a duplex is an up/down and a side by side
is a semi-detached.

Gabby

I am presently renovating a duplex here. The Canadian census
apparently would call it a semi-detached. Two small houses
side-by-side with a common wall sharing a single block of
land which has been "strata-titled" for separate ownership.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
grant kinsley

wrote:

"jenny" wrote in message
Real estate terms are diferent in the USA and Canada, and even different
in eastern and western Canada.
One example is a duplex. I have seen " up-downs" called a duplex because
it has two distinct living quarters. Out here, a duplex is 2 single houses
attached on only 1 side. Up/downs are up/downs :-) one upper and one
lower unit of housing.
Welcome to the wonderful world of terminology :-))

If you go by the Canadian Census, a duplex is an up/down and a side by side
is a semi-detached.

depends if you are east coast or west coast, side by side is a duplex
in B.C. but semi-detached in N.S.

Gabby

Old September 26th, 2007, 01:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

"grant kinsley" wrote in message

If you go by the Canadian Census, a duplex is an up/down and a side by
side
is a semi-detached.

depends if you are east coast or west coast, side by side is a duplex
in B.C. but semi-detached in N.S.

Always semi-detached in UK. However, a house standing at one end of a row of
three or more houses sharing party walls is called "end terrace".

Alan Harrison

Old September 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan Pollock

In rec.travel.usa-canada Keith Crossley wrote:

My opinion: (1) Roundabouts are such a simple, quick and easy way to get
folks through a not over-busy intersection. I hate sitting at traffic
lights (the more pervasive US affliction) looking at an empty road. (2)
Standards of driving and courtesy vary dramatically. Comparing them, it is
a joy to drive in the UK where people actually drive in appropriate lanes
and give you room.

In California we have loads and loads of 4-way stops and not so many traffic
lights (where you can turn right on a red, left on a one-way red).

4-way stops work well here. First in first out no matter what the rulebook may
say. Completely dependant on judgement and courtesy, folks seem to be inately
polite. Those few who aren't, take advantage but it's not the end of the
world; they're just allowed to make fools of themselves. I've seen peer
pressure eventually get them where it hurts when an acquaintance spies them in
the act. Ouch. Solid kick to the social plexus! (Okok, guilty as charged but
only once)

Might not work in a place like France where fistfights could break out (et ta
soeur, PAFF!), or in Italy where they'd get out of their cars, stand 2.837
meters apart and with arms outstretched, fingers and hands deftly imitating
all sorts of barnyard animals, yell interminable verbiage at each other
replete with historical, geographic and even in-depth ancestral analysis.

But here it works fine. Might in Britain too, but they chose the easy way out:
the roundabout where judgement and courtesy play a much smaller role.

Perhaps they're not *quite* civilized enough? Nex

Old September 27th, 2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 15:47:56 +0000 (UTC), Alan Pollock
wrote:

[...]

I was in San Francisco when the Loma Prieta earthquake struck, at
commute time, no less. All the traffic signals were out so the
old rule that when a traffic signal is out treat the intersection
as a four-way stop took effect. It was probably the fastest I'd
ever got across San Francisco.