British and North American equivalents

Old August 29th, 2007, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Morcel Moreseaux

Default British and North American equivalents

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle2341766.ece

British and North American equivalents

British - North American:

aerofoil - airfoil
aeroplane - airplane
agony aunt - advice columnist
anticlockwise - counter-clockwise
articulated lorry - tractor-trailer
asymmetric bars - uneven bars
aubergine - eggplant
blanket bath - sponge bath
bonnet (of car) - hood
boot (of a car) - trunk
bowls - lawn bowling
brawn (the food) - headcheese
breeze block - cinder block
brent goose - brant goose
bridging loan - bridge loan
bumbag - fanny pack
candy floss - cotton candy
car park - parking lot/garage
central reservation - median strip
chips - French fries
cling film - plastic wrap
common seal - harbor seal
consumer durables - durable goods
cornflour - cornstarch
cot - crib
cotton bud - cotton swab
cotton wool - absorbent cotton
courgette - zucchini
crash barrier - guardrail
crisps - chips or potato chips
cross-ply - bias-ply
current account - checking account
cut-throat razor - straight razor
dialling tone - dial tone
double cream - heavy cream
double-declutch - double-clutch
draughts - checkers
drawing pin - thumb tack
drink-driving - drunk driving
driving licence - driver's license
dummy - pacifier
dustbin - trash/garbage can
eat in (of restaurant) - for here
engaged (of a telephone) - busy
estate car - station wagon
ex-directory - unlisted
eyebath - eyecup
financial year - fiscal year
fire brigade - fire department
firelighter - fire starter
fringe - bangs
full board - American plan
gear lever - gearshift
green fingers - green thumb
groundsman - groundskeeper
holidaymaker - vacationer
hundreds and thousands - sprinkles
indicator (on car) - turn signal
Joe Bloggs - Joe Blow
Joe Public - John Q. Public
jump lead - jumper cable
ladybird - ladybug
level crossing - grade crossing
lift (in building) - elevator
lolly (lollipop) - Popsicle (trademark)
loo - john
maize - corn
mangetout - snow peas
maths - math
monkey tricks - monkeyshines
motorway - expressway/freeway
mum - mom
nappy - diaper
noughts and crosses - tic-tac-toe
number plate - license plate
off-licence - liquor store
opencast - open-pit
paddling pool - wading pool
pay packet - pay envelop
pedestrian crossing - crosswalk
petrol - gasoline/gas
physiotherapy - physical therapy
plain chocolate - dark chocolate
plain flour - all-purpose flour
post code - zip code
postal vote - absentee ballot
poste restante - general delivery
press-up - pushup
punchbag - punching bag
pushchair - stroller
queue - line
razor shell - razor clam
real tennis - court tennis
recorded delivery - certified mail
reverse the charges - call collect
reversing light - backup light
room only - European plan
roundabout (in road) - traffic circle
rowing boat - rowboat
sailing boat - sailboat
self-raising flour - self-rising flour
shopping trolley - shopping cart
skirting board - baseboard
sleeping partner - silent partner
splashback - backsplash
storm in a teacup - tempest in a teapot
surtitle - supertitle
terraced house - row house
toffee apple - candy apple
trainers - sneakers
tram - streetcar or trolley car
transport café - truck stop
twelve-bore - twelve-gauge
vest - undershirt
waistcoat - vest
white spirit - mineral spirits
windscreen - windshield
worktop - countertop
zebra crossing - crosswalk
zed - zee

© Oxford University Press 2007

Extracted from the Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus (ed Maurice Waite).
Buy it for £25.50 (RRP £30), including p&p, from BooksFirst on 0870
1608080, or visit timesonline.co.uk/booksfirst

Old August 29th, 2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
me[_5_]

On Aug 29, 7:18 am, Morcel Moreseaux wrote:
http://entertainment.timesonline.co....ertainment/boo...

British and North American equivalents

British - North American:

Some of these might need some expansion:

[snip]
bowls - lawn bowling

Americans don't really know this sport well and many folks
will equate it with a game called "bachi ball".

breeze block - cinder block

True cinder blocks aren't used much in many areas
and it has become an equivalent expression for a "concrete" block.

bumbag - fanny pack

It is my impression that a "belly pack" is the more common
expression.

chips - French fries

The more "UK style" chip would tend to be called "home fries".

cling film - plastic wrap

More commonly called "Saran wrap" by folks not worried about
trademark infringement.

cornflour - cornstarch

Important in the sense that "corn meal" is used far
more often in some areas and might be confused for corn flour.

cotton bud - cotton swab

The more common expression is "Q-tip", again, for those
not worried about trademark infringement.

crisps - chips or potato chips

I want to remember that I've seen this expression used
in the UK for more "american/MacDonalds" style french fries.

double cream - heavy cream

also called heavy "whipping" cream.

drawing pin - thumb tack

also called "stick pin".

drink-driving - drunk driving

More commonly referred to these days as
either DUI or DWI. (legal shorthand)

eat in (of restaurant) - for here

This one is kinda bizarre. Restaurants are presumed
to be "eat in" unless it represents itself as a "take out"
place, or at least offering that service. Only then would
one hear, in that context, "for here or to go?".

estate car - station wagon

Very dated. Few "station wagons" sold anymore.
The equivalent these days would be "crossover vehicle".

[snip]
firelighter - fire starter

Hmmm... Maybe just generic "lighter"? Are the UKian's
referring to them thangs one uses to light a "fag"?

fringe - bangs
full board - American plan
gear lever - gearshift
green fingers - green thumb
groundsman - groundskeeper
holidaymaker - vacationer

This, like a few of these, is notable for
the exclusion of the use of the word "holiday"
to mean "vacation". Alternately it should
be noted that "holiday" means something a bit
different in Merkin. Basically refering to
a particular celebration, usually involving paid
days off from work and government recognition.

[snip]
level crossing - grade crossing

Medalled road should probably have been
thrown in.

loo - john

Wow, couldn't we go on here?

number plate - license plate

In the south this is often called a "tag" or "autotag".

pushchair - stroller

Don't the UKian's call this a "pram"?

real tennis - court tennis

I've never heard this expression. I've heard
"Lawn tennis" and "tennis court".

roundabout (in road) - traffic circle

There aren't many traffic circles at all in the US
and the few I've seen are called "roundabouts".
Getting "stuck" in them in europe is a stereotypical
yarn from a first vist.

[snip]
terraced house - row house

Or Brownstone in some areas.

trainers - sneakers

Again, a tad regional. "tennis shoes"
is more common in some places.

Notibly missing was the differences
between "pavement" between the two
places. And far more topical than many.

Old August 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Tim C.

Following up to me :

pushchair - stroller

Don't the UKian's call this a "pram"?

Pushchairs and prams are different creatures.
--
Tim C.
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Michael Newport quotes the Times:
British - North American:

bowls - lawn bowling

"O'Connell" writes:
Americans don't really know this sport well and many folks
will equate it with a game called "bachi ball".

"Bocce" -- it's Italian. Yes, not the same game (but similar).

level crossing - grade crossing

Medalled road should probably have been
thrown in.

That's "metalled". Meaning gravel.

roundabout (in road) - traffic circle

There aren't many traffic circles at all in the US
and the few I've seen are called "roundabouts".

"Rotaries" in New England. "Traffic circles" in Ontario when I was
learning to drive. Some people have adopted "roundabout" with a
distinct meaning from "traffic circle".

terraced house - row house

Or Brownstone in some areas.

Or "town house".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just because it's correct doesn't
make it right!" -- Jonas Schlein
Old August 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
me[_5_]

On Aug 29, 12:15 pm, (Mark Brader) wrote:
Michael Newport quotes the Times:

[snip]

terraced house - row house

Or Brownstone in some areas.

Or "town house".

Well, now, here's one. A town house in
my experience is any collection (as small as
two) of conjoined houses, over one story tall,
(otherwise they're just a "duplex"). They are also
"single buildings" in the sense that they were
constructed as a single building. I've
seen condo complexes which were collections of
"town houses". A row house or "brownstone" in
my experienced is used for a collection of
houses that occupy basically an entire city block
(or there abouts). Furthermore, it is quite often
possible that they were not all constructed at the
same time, but in fact some were "added on"
to existing structures as the city developed.

However, I'm not sure who would be an authority
on these terms, or if I'm making distinctions that
no one else would make?

Old August 29th, 2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
nightjar

"Morcel Moreseaux" wrote in message
ps.com...

chips - French fries

Wrong. French Fries are served in Britain but are thin stick-like excuses
for a proper British Chip, which should be at least 3/8" thick.

Colin Bignell

Old August 29th, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Susan Wachob

Another difference in language usage.

British - North American
(actually Irish, I think it's British too)

silencer - muffler
muffler - scarf (for around your neck)

When the muffler (to keep the car quiet) fell off, I called the British
car rental company in Cork to tell them the muffler fell off and to see
about trading in the car for one that didn't make a huge noise). They
thought I was was crazy (after all, they didn't rent scarves with their
cars!) and asked me to drive there, which I did.

I repeated the story a number of times, with them thinking I'm crazier
and crazier with each telling until, in my frustrated rage, I pulled the
muffler (silencer) out of the back seat!

After we all stopped laughing hysterically, they decided to just weld
the "noise-reduction part" back on as they had no other cars available.
It proceeded to fall of just far enough away to make returning there
unfeasible and I drove through many days of the rest of Ireland and the
6 counties sounding like a tractor!

Susan

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
S Viemeister

me wrote:

Well, now, here's one. A town house in
my experience is any collection (as small as
two) of conjoined houses, over one story tall,
(otherwise they're just a "duplex"). They are also
"single buildings" in the sense that they were
constructed as a single building. I've
seen condo complexes which were collections of
"town houses". A row house or "brownstone" in
my experienced is used for a collection of
houses that occupy basically an entire city block
(or there abouts).

Many rowhouses in places like NYC, are brownstones. It's a common
building material in the area. I've seen many 'brownstones', which are
single-family dwellings, and which could not, by any stretch of the
imagination, be called townhouses, rowhouses, or terraces.
There are very many rowhouses, which are NOT brownstones.

Old August 29th, 2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Padraig Breathnach

"nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

"Morcel Moreseaux" wrote in message
ups.com...

chips - French fries

Wrong. French Fries are served in Britain but are thin stick-like excuses
for a proper British Chip, which should be at least 3/8" thick.

The French also serve proper chips in many restaurants.

Whatever happened to French fries = freedom fries?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"nightjar .uk.com" nightjar@insert my surname here wrote in message

"Morcel Moreseaux" wrote in message
ps.com...

chips - French fries

Wrong. French Fries are served in Britain but are thin stick-like excuses
for a proper British Chip, which should be at least 3/8" thick.

Colin Bignell

Well, here in Canada, back in the early 50's we called the narrow ones
which, by the way, were the ONLY ones commercially available, CHIPS. In the
U.S., they called them French fries or just fries. Home-made chips were
often much thicker, though. If one ordered fish and chips the got fish plus
some NARROW strips of deep-fried potatoes..called CHIPS. Nowadays, of
course, if one goes to Mickey D's, one orders FRIES...sometimes super sized.
which are really CHIPS but ...