US dollar keeps sinking endlessly--worth the same as the Canadian dollar now

Old September 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Viking

Default US dollar keeps sinking endlessly--worth the same as the Canadian dollar now

http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/...a-parity_N.htm

Over $1.40 per Euro. I should have moved to Europe before this--it's
unaffordable to visit now.

Turning the US $ into the US Peso is GWB's only plan to balance the
trade deficit. Nothing about actually doing something to improve what
the US has to trade.

That plus massive outsourcing of professional positions and massive
illegal immigration is turning the US into a 3rd world country with
low-paid domestic workers, a debased currency and a low interest rate.
That low interest rate will make foreign investors turn away from the
US--and pull their money out in favor of countries that can pay more.
And seeing as how the US has been living on money from foreign
investors for a long time, and is incredibly in debt (they're about to
hit the current debt ceiling, $8.695 trillion, I think, Oct 1), the
outlook is seriously bad.

US corporations, which long ago became multi-nationals, make most of
their money, or at least most of their growth, overseas (which has
been leading to the rise in the Dow--the US component of their growth
has been small), and don't give a hoot about the domestic situation.
In real terms, US workers have been making successively less each
year, and their savings rate has gone negative. The US does seem to be
heading towards 3rd world status.

Well, that's my view, anyway. Can anyone point out where this analysis
is wrong and the picture is actually rosier than I think?

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Viking wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/...a-parity_N.htm

Over $1.40 per Euro. I should have moved to Europe before this--it's
unaffordable to visit now.

You're not the only one who regrets not doing so! (However,
since all my income is in U.S. funds - Social Security
benefits,etc. - I'd still be paying the price of the
devalued dollar.)

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Viking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:42:23 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

Over $1.40 per Euro. I should have moved to Europe before this--it's
unaffordable to visit now.

You're not the only one who regrets not doing so! (However,
since all my income is in U.S. funds - Social Security
benefits,etc. - I'd still be paying the price of the
devalued dollar.)

Yes, us too--our business is tied to the US $.

Ah for a return of the post-WWII years when it was 4 marks to the
dollar!
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Viking

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:43:06 +0200, Doesn't Frequently Mop
wrote:

Note that there's plenty of fat in the US buck.

How you figure? With $1.40+ per Euro, not a lot of fat for US
travellers in EU.

Old September 20th, 2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:49:13 -0400,
Viking has scripted:

wrote:

Over $1.40 per Euro. I should have moved to Europe before this--it's
unaffordable to visit now.

You're not the only one who regrets not doing so! (However,
since all my income is in U.S. funds - Social Security
benefits,etc. - I'd still be paying the price of the
devalued dollar.)

Yes, us too--our business is tied to the US $.

Ah for a return of the post-WWII years when it was 4 marks to the
dollar!

Devaluing currency is a tried and true technique for reduces your
income, and making you want to spend it quick.

Note that there's plenty of fat in the US buck.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old September 20th, 2007, 08:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

wrote:

Note that there's plenty of fat in the US buck.

How you figure? With $1.40+ per Euro, not a lot of fat for US
travellers in EU.

This season, I only had one guest in our B&B who wanted to haggle about
the price.
Yup, an American. The dollar must be really low, now.

Old September 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Donald Newcomb

"Erick T. Barkhuis" -o-m wrote in message
t...
Viking:
This season, I only had one guest in our B&B who wanted to haggle about
the price.
Yup, an American. The dollar must be really low, now.

Yes. It's painful. The worthless dollar is why we stayed near home this
summer.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old September 21st, 2007, 01:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Donald Newcomb" wrote in message
"Erick T. Barkhuis" -o-m wrote in message
t...
Viking:
This season, I only had one guest in our B&B who wanted to haggle about
the price.
Yup, an American. The dollar must be really low, now.

Yes. It's painful. The worthless dollar is why we stayed near home this
summer.

So, in the hunt for 'end of season' bargains, what's going to be dead
cheap in shops because the Americans didn't come over this year?

Apart from Wedgwood china...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old September 21st, 2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Thu, 20 Sep 2007 15:42:00 -0400,
Viking has scripted:

wrote:

Note that there's plenty of fat in the US buck.

How you figure? With $1.40+ per Euro, not a lot of fat for US
travellers in EU.

It was very over valued.

It's now equal with the Canadian buck, and who'd be surprised if it
equals the Aussie dollar within a couple of years?
--
---
Old September 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
B Vaughan

wrote:

Note that there's plenty of fat in the US buck.

How you figure? With $1.40+ per Euro, not a lot of fat for US
travellers in EU.

It was very over valued.

I wish I had negotiated my contract in euros.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it