Which state park in Big Sur?

Old March 31st, 2004, 03:45 PM
Peter Ibrahim

Default Which state park in Big Sur?

Hi everyone,

Am heading to America over the summer, and over the course of my three weeks
there, will be driving down Highway 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles.
Would like to camp in one of the state parks at Big Sur, but am unsure as to
which one. There's a list available at
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.html

Pfeiffer-Big Sur SP looked quite good, but I could find very few
reviews/comments/photos about it on the 'net, whereas Julia Pfeiffer Burns
SP appeared to be a popular place to camp. Any opinions on which state
parks are nice spots to pitch a tent for the night?

Thanks

Peter

Old March 31st, 2004, 07:57 PM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Peter Ibrahim wrote:

Hi everyone,

Am heading to America over the summer, and over the course of my three weeks
there, will be driving down Highway 1 from San Francisco to Los Angeles.
Would like to camp in one of the state parks at Big Sur, but am unsure as to
which one. There's a list available at
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/camping.html

Pfeiffer-Big Sur SP looked quite good, but I could find very few
reviews/comments/photos about it on the 'net, whereas Julia Pfeiffer Burns
SP appeared to be a popular place to camp. Any opinions on which state
parks are nice spots to pitch a tent for the night?

Julia Pfeiffer-Burns has only two campsites. They are spectacular,
overlooking the ocean, but you have virtually no chance of getting one
of them, they're booked as soon as they become available, seven months
in advance. They are walk-in sites, you have to walk about half a mile
from the parking area to the campsites. It's about twenty minutes drive
to any stores, restaurants or the like.

Pfeiffer-Big Sur SP is in the heart of the Big Sur Valley, so it's back
among redwoods, no ocean views. It's also got a restaurant, small store
and some hiking. There's also a lodge there, apart from the
campground. The campground is open to tents and caravans (RVs).

There is also camping at Andrew Molera State park, again, this is
walk-in, but there are 24 sites, in a mowed field. These are
first-come, first-served, so if you get there early, you can probably
get a site. AM has lots of hiking, and has probably the longest coastal
hike in Big Sur.

There are also a few National Forest Service campgrounds farther south,
again pretty far removed from anything else.

On the whole, I'd recommend Pfeiffer Big Sur, if you want to experience
some of the culture of Big Sur, as well as the scenery. It's a few
minutes drive out of the valley to ocean views, and here also are all
the famous restaurants and resorts, Nepenthe, Deetjen's, Ventana, the
Coast Art Gallery, the Henry Miller Library, etc. To the north is the
"village" of Big Sur, with some less famous eateries and grocery
shopping and such. Andrew Molera is just north of there, it's only
about 5 miles from P-BS to AM, so all this is quite close together.

Also there are some private campgrounds between Andrew Molera and
Pfeiffer-Big Sur.
Old April 1st, 2004, 12:17 AM
MadHatter

I recall seeing a campground at Julie Pfeiffer Burns SP. It was
situated very close to a great cliffside view of the surf. I don't
know about Pheiffer-Big Sur, but I'd imagine that it's near the
visitor center, so it'd probably be in a forest setting. Pfeiffer-Big
Sur looked more developed than JPB. Both have nice waterfalls within
a short walking distance.
Old April 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM
bbrr

also, since this trip is in summer, a word about fog. one of the charms of
big sur valley is that it is largely immune to it, while the sites along the
ocean are prone to it.