living in foreign countries

Old March 24th, 2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.misc
Allan Adler

Default living in foreign countries

I think it counts as "travel" to go to a foreign country and live there for
an extended period of time, for example, for years. I'm considering doing
that but on a very limited budget of about $500/month, not counting the costs
of getting there and back. That rules out many countries, but there are
probably a lot of places where one can live reasonably well on that
amount. I'd probably also not want to live in a place that is currently
a war zone or is oppressed by a dictatorship. I think that probably still
leaves a few places. There are also details to worry about such as whether
Americans are allowed to go there, whether they are likely targets of violence
and also what regulations the country in question imposes. For example, even
if one can live cheaply in a certain country, a foreigner might be required
by the country's laws to have a certain minimum income as a condition for
long term residence, and that might be larger than $500/month.

Anyway, if you know how to investigate this question, please let me know.
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler