songkran 2004

Old October 29th, 2003, 04:09 PM
vsk

Default songkran 2004

I like to come to Thailand for songkran 2004
Who can give me the exact date of songkran in 2004
Thank you in advance

Old October 29th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Stephen

13th April - I think. If not its the14th April 2004 (I will be in Krabi!)

Prepare yourself it can get out of hand!
Chiang Mai might be best place!

Stayed there a few years ago and there were water fights between groups of
kids on back of pick up trucks and adults with hose pipes!
They were actually pumping water out of moat and squirting it at people!

Bit calmer in Bangkok but once saw a young man throw a whole bucket of water
at people inside a crowded bus!

The 'Thailand' section of my web page has photographs of the Chiang Mai
Songkran
http://communities.msn.com/gravesendtimes

Stephen - London

Old October 29th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Knut Sømme

Stephen wrote:

13th April - I think. If not its the14th April 2004 (I will be in Krabi!)

Prepare yourself it can get out of hand!
Chiang Mai might be best place!

Traveled from Phuket to Krabi during Songkran in 2000. The trip took at
least
twice the time & the driver drove with locked windows/doors to avoid
beeing
'drowned' when stopping for red light.

Quite sweet as well. Old women sprinkled water on us farangs and seemed
to feel
very ashamed of themselves..

Make sure you hide your camera/camcorder in a waterproof bag !

knut
Old October 31st, 2003, 05:52 AM
HarryH

It certainly can get out of hand.

I was in Chiang Mai for Songkran 2001 and it was mainly good-hearted fun.
One of the on-line Oz newspapers reported the following item that year:

375 killed in accidents during Thai New Year holiday

Source: AP|Published: Monday April 16, 8:29 AM

BANGKOK, April 15 AP - The death toll from accidents and fights during the
Thai New Year festival has risen to 375, the government said today.

The National Accident Monitoring Cell said 265 people have been killed and
15,705 people injured in road accidents since Thursday, a day before the
start of the three-day festival of Songkran.

Another 110 people were killed and 13,672 injured in drunken brawls,
electrocution, drowning and other accidents related to the festival, the
accident agency said.

The death toll this year is the highest recorded during Songkran, when Thais
travel to their hometowns or visit relatives and holiday resorts.

Last year, 164 people were killed during the festival period, the Nation
newspaper said.

Traditional Songkran celebrations require sprinkling water on each other to
ensure rain for the coming rice planting season.

In recent years, the celebrations have become more raucous and have included
water fights.

***************

Last year I spent Songkran on Koh Phi Phi, a much more relaxed celebration.
You will still get very wet, but at least you wont get run over by a truck!
Some years ago I came off my motorbike in Phuket as a result of a slippery
road surface and having a bucket of water dumped on me. I have not been game
enough to take to the roads on a motorbike during Songkran since then.

Harry

"Stephen" wrote in message
13th April - I think. If not its the14th April 2004 (I will be in Krabi!)

Prepare yourself it can get out of hand!
Chiang Mai might be best place!

[...]