United on the brink of self destruction?

Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:10 PM
Jimbo Minn

Default United on the brink of self destruction?

Big problems at UAL this Holiday weekend. Many flights cancelled for
lack of crew? How can an airline in bankruptcy have its work force
disrupt schedules on
this Holiday weekend? It's like driving another nail into its coffin.

Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:46 AM
Jay C

Jimbo Minn wrote:
Big problems at UAL this Holiday weekend. Many flights cancelled for
lack of crew? How can an airline in bankruptcy have its work force
disrupt schedules on
this Holiday weekend? It's like driving another nail into its coffin.

Let it crash and burn. A lot of people are going to find that there are
some things worse than being unhappy with your job ... let's see how
they like having no job at all ...
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:03 AM
bunny

"Jay C" wrote in message
link.net...
Jimbo Minn wrote:
Big problems at UAL this Holiday weekend. Many flights cancelled for
lack of crew? How can an airline in bankruptcy have its work force
disrupt schedules on this Holiday weekend? It's like driving another
nail into its coffin.

Let it crash and burn. A lot of people are going to find that there are
some things worse than being unhappy with your job ... let's see how they
like having no job at all ...

There's not a single one of those FAs that can't go get a job somewhere else
doing something else making more money if they want to, and they know it.

Old July 4th, 2005, 01:47 AM
nobody

bunny wrote:
There's not a single one of those FAs that can't go get a job somewhere else
doing something else making more money if they want to, and they know it.

Not quite. The minute they leave United and go to another airline, they lose
their seniority and enter at the bottom of the lists at their new employer.
And that is a huge deal to pilots and flight attendants.
Old July 4th, 2005, 02:06 AM
bunny

"nobody" wrote in message
bunny wrote:
There's not a single one of those FAs that can't go get a job somewhere
else
doing something else making more money if they want to, and they know it.

Not quite. The minute they leave United and go to another airline, they
lose
their seniority and enter at the bottom of the lists at their new
employer.
And that is a huge deal to pilots and flight attendants.

Read it again. United FAs can get a job somewhere else *doing something
else* making more money. No UA FA needs to fear unemployment if UA goes
under. Some posters seem to have gleeful fantasies of how the rebellious
FAs will suffer inevitable unemployment if UA ceases to exist, and boy
howdy, won't they be sorry then. That is their fantasy, not at all the
reality.

Old July 4th, 2005, 02:22 AM
spamfree

Read it again. United FAs can get a job somewhere else *doing
something else* making more money. No UA FA needs to fear
unemployment if UA goes under.

I've never heard a headhunter or anyone working in the employment
business say that FA experience is highly sought after. Perhaps you
are too busy drooling over Bush coverage, but the number of
unemployed people remains quite high. FAs would go into the
same hopper as other unemployed people. Considering that many
UA FAs are not exactly young, their job prospects are not great.
The young ones have better opportunity, but then again, what does
their experience count for, a customer service job or a waitress?
Dream on, bunny. You will never find a job as good as a UA FA
in this economy.

Pete

Old July 4th, 2005, 02:57 AM
bunny

"spamfree" wrote in message
ink.net...
Read it again. United FAs can get a job somewhere else *doing
something else* making more money. No UA FA needs to fear
unemployment if UA goes under.

I've never heard a headhunter or anyone working in the employment
business say that FA experience is highly sought after.

Most jobs are not acquired as a result of headhunters. As for people in the
unemployment business, I have talked to several of them recently; be honest,
have you? Have you ever talked to one single person in the employment
business about FA employment? Come on now. :-)

In fact, the skills required to get and keep a UA FA job are quite
appreciated by many employers. You need certain qualities to win that job,
and you displayed certain qualities to keep that job. Employers know that.
Former FAs are highly employable. I was told that recently by no less than
six people in the unemployment business in one week. So there. Pthththt!
:-) Seriously, I was a UA res agent until they recently outsourced our jobs
to India and closed our call center. During the last two months there they
had tons of employment-type professionals trooping through there talking to
us, which is why I've talked to so many of them recently. I've got buds who
used to be FAs. Believe me, FAs are highly employable. No problem there.
We former res agents are having no problems either. Prospective employers
love us, and my friends who have already accepted new jobs are all making
more money. The *only* ones who are not making more money are the ones who
accepted transfer jobs in United itself.

Perhaps you
are too busy drooling over Bush coverage,

You have strange fantasies. I'm not a Bush fan, but if imagining the fella
doing whatever floats your boat, more power to you. If you want drool from
me, you'd better show me the dark chocolate and hope you catch me on a good
day.

but the number of
unemployed people remains quite high. FAs would go into the
same hopper as other unemployed people.

Not really. Someone with minimal proven skills and a crappy work history is
not in "the same hopper" as someone with proven skills and great
dependability. All people who are unemployed do not share the same
advantages/disadvantages. FAs are in good shape.

Considering that many
UA FAs are not exactly young, their job prospects are not great.

Incorrect.

The young ones have better opportunity, but then again, what does
their experience count for, a customer service job or a waitress?
Dream on, bunny. You will never find a job as good as a UA FA
in this economy.

Incorrect. Apparently this is a topic I'm better educated in than you are.
If you think that FA equals Waitress In The Sky, you're thinking in very old
stereotypes. Have you seen how thick the FA manual is? When is the last
time you saw a waitress have to learn and practice the contents of a big-ass
manual? There's a lot more to getting and keeping many of these airline
jobs than you can know from the outside. Not your fault, I would have made
a lot of wrong assumptions too before I went to work for an airline and
learned this stuff.

Old July 5th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Jeff Hacker

"bunny" wrote in message
. ..

"Jay C" wrote in message
link.net...
Jimbo Minn wrote:
Big problems at UAL this Holiday weekend. Many flights cancelled for
lack of crew? How can an airline in bankruptcy have its work force
disrupt schedules on this Holiday weekend? It's like driving another
nail into its coffin.

Let it crash and burn. A lot of people are going to find that there are
some things worse than being unhappy with your job ... let's see how they
like having no job at all ...

There's not a single one of those FAs that can't go get a job somewhere
else doing something else making more money if they want to, and they know
it.

Actually, there aren't many of the FA's who believe it. They've seen too
many of their friends laid off and they know there aren't other FA jobs out
there. Since most FA's are working in that profession because they WANT to
fly, it is probably safe to say that they won't be happy doing other work.
Or, at least "as" happy.

Jeff

Old July 5th, 2005, 04:53 AM
TOliver

"Jeff Hacker" wrote in message

Actually, there aren't many of the FA's who believe it. They've seen too
many of their friends laid off and they know there aren't other FA jobs
out there. Since most FA's are working in that profession because they
WANT to fly, it is probably safe to say that they won't be happy doing
other work. Or, at least "as" happy.

It's just as well I'm no longer on the check off sheet OKing new employees
at my last two employers before making the move to self employment. Based
on personal experience with (domestic) UA flight attendants 1965-present
(not often but over a long haul), they would be unlikely to meet my
criteria. On my expereince, they set industry records for standing around
the galley shooting the ****....

TMO

Old July 5th, 2005, 06:02 AM
mrtravel

TOliver wrote:

It's just as well I'm no longer on the check off sheet OKing new employees
at my last two employers before making the move to self employment. Based
on personal experience with (domestic) UA flight attendants 1965-present
(not often but over a long haul), they would be unlikely to meet my
criteria. On my expereince, they set industry records for standing around
the galley shooting the ****....

I gotta agree there. A relative recently flew SFO-FRA-SFO
Outbound was UA, return was LH. They were in nearly the same seat
location, and both flights were 747, but the flight experiences were
totally different. The LH FA's actually WORKED the their flight, the UA
one's did nothing more than the standard food and beverage services.