OT - news server

Old March 11th, 2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default OT - news server

I've posted here and enjoyed both giving and receiving information, and had
much luck with the latter. We just got a dsl line, but the isp doesn't
provide newsgroups. Can any of you recommend a good newsgroup server,
preferably one that's solvent and has been around for awhile?

tia,
Keith

Old March 11th, 2006, 03:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

k wrote:

I've posted here and enjoyed both giving and receiving information, and had
much luck with the latter. We just got a dsl line, but the isp doesn't
provide newsgroups. Can any of you recommend a good newsgroup server,
preferably one that's solvent and has been around for awhile?

Did you configure your news reader for the right newserver?

Old March 11th, 2006, 04:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

"k" wrote in message
nk.net...
I've posted here and enjoyed both giving and receiving information, and

had
much luck with the latter. We just got a dsl line, but the isp doesn't
provide newsgroups. Can any of you recommend a good newsgroup server,
preferably one that's solvent and has been around for awhile?

tia,
Keith

For text and light binary downloading www.octanews.com is cheap for block
accounts (15 GB/$12.95) or speed capped ($4.95/month). Avoid Yottanews,
Teranews and Bubbanews. Heavy binary downloading is another matter.

Old March 11th, 2006, 02:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 02:50:55 GMT, "k" wrote:

I've posted here and enjoyed both giving and receiving information, and had
much luck with the latter. We just got a dsl line, but the isp doesn't
provide newsgroups. Can any of you recommend a good newsgroup server,
preferably one that's solvent and has been around for awhile?

I use news.individual.net, which is based in Germany and has an
excellent and reliable feed. No binaries, though. They cost about 10
euros a year, if I remember correctly.
--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old March 12th, 2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

k wrote:
I've posted here and enjoyed both giving and receiving information, and had
much luck with the latter. We just got a dsl line, but the isp doesn't
provide newsgroups. Can any of you recommend a good newsgroup server,
preferably one that's solvent and has been around for awhile?

tia,
Keith

I can only use my news server if I'm on my providers network. Since I
travel, and am *never* on their network, I just use Google Groups.

Old March 13th, 2006, 12:29 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 02:50:55 GMT, "k" wrote:

I've posted here and enjoyed both giving and receiving information, and had
much luck with the latter. We just got a dsl line, but the isp doesn't
provide newsgroups. Can any of you recommend a good newsgroup server,
preferably one that's solvent and has been around for awhile?

tia,
Keith

I've been using Giganews (www.giganews.com) for a couple of years now,
after a recommendation from a friend. Their retention rate is fairly
good and I get all postings.

If you're looking for free ones, try this site:

http://freenews.maxbaud.net/

---
Mike from Ottawa
Old March 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Mike from Ottawa wrote:

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 02:50:55 GMT, "k" wrote:

I've posted here and enjoyed both giving and receiving information, and had
much luck with the latter. We just got a dsl line, but the isp doesn't
provide newsgroups. Can any of you recommend a good newsgroup server,
preferably one that's solvent and has been around for awhile?

I've been using Giganews (www.giganews.com) for a couple of years now,
after a recommendation from a friend. Their retention rate is fairly
good and I get all postings.

That has been my experience with Supernews, also.

http://www.supernews.com/indi_price.html

Caveat