Conan the Vulgarian

Old October 8th, 2003, 06:37 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Stop the Recall - Your vote matters! [was: Conan the Vulgarian]

mrtravel wrote:
It shows 48.1 now
The vote against the recall was 45 percent.
Arnold got more support than Davis if you look at a vote against the
recall as a vote for Davis.. (Although a lot of people voted against the
recall for other reasons)

Fair enough.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

Old October 8th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Dick Locke wrote:

What happens if Arnold gets more than 50 percent??
Will you reconsider? Current results are showing he has over 50 percent.

Yeah, he did. Interesting regional pattern, showing that the rest of
the state is increasingly out of touch with the SF Bay area.

This reminds me of that old joke about a mother at the West Point
graduation saying how everybody but Johnny marches out of step.

Old October 8th, 2003, 06:57 PM
DALing

so the populous counties were happy with davis nd the "others" booted him
out

"Dick Locke" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 05:37:53 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

PTRAVEL wrote:

"

in full swing. The candidates are you, me, and Gray Davis (he's

downgraded
his expectations).

You get 45% of the vote, I get 35%, and Davis gets 20%.

Should I win, since "a majority of people don't want you to be

moderator"?

miguel

I nominate Miguel for r.t.a. moderator.

What happens if Arnold gets more than 50 percent??
Will you reconsider? Current results are showing he has over 50 percent.

Yeah, he did. Interesting regional pattern, showing that the rest of
the state is increasingly out of touch with the SF Bay area.

Here's the "No on recall" vote from local counties:

San Francisco: 80%
Alameda: 70
Marin 67
Santa Cruz 65
San Mateo 63
Sonoma 61
Santa Clara 58
Contra Costa 57
Napa 55
Solano 51

Going back on topic, people shoud recreationaly travel by air to see
an interesting part of the US while we're still part of it....

Visuals at http://www.sfgate.com/election/races...0/07/map.shtml

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:49 PM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
Dick Locke wrote:

Actually, I think the Bay Area is more in touch with the world than
the rest of California and the current occupants of DC are.

Fortunately, the ``world,'' whatever it is, has no say in who becomes
the governor of California. It's only Californians who get to decide,
which is exactly how it should be. On a more personal note, the last
thing I, as a Californian, want is for California (or the US as a whole)
to resemble the ``world,'' or for the current occupants of DC to listen
to foreign morons instead of the people who elected them.

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:52 PM
mrtravel

Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:
In article ,
Dick Locke wrote:

Actually, I think the Bay Area is more in touch with the world than
the rest of California and the current occupants of DC are.

Fortunately, the ``world,'' whatever it is, has no say in who becomes
the governor of California. It's only Californians who get to decide,
which is exactly how it should be. On a more personal note, the last
thing I, as a Californian, want is for California (or the US as a whole)
to resemble the ``world,'' or for the current occupants of DC to listen
to foreign morons instead of the people who elected them.

Of course, some of us would be happy if the Northern half could seceed
from the Southern half. But then, we would have been stuck with GD

Old October 9th, 2003, 04:11 PM
me

mrtravel wrote in message . com...
Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:
In article ,

[snip]
Fortunately, the ``world,'' whatever it is, has no say in who becomes
the governor of California. It's only Californians who get to decide,
which is exactly how it should be. On a more personal note, the last
thing I, as a Californian, want is for California (or the US as a whole)
to resemble the ``world,'' or for the current occupants of DC to listen
to foreign morons instead of the people who elected them.

Of course, some of us would be happy if the Northern half could seceed
from the Southern half. But then, we would have been stuck with GD

This is a common theme in many places. "Old" geopolitical lines don't
always align with newer population distributions. As the world grows
more global economically, localized populations can have more in common
with potentially distant populations, than those they a politically
"related" to. In the US, this is on a state level often where
especially near large cities on boarders, the residents in neighboring
states often have no say in the politics of the city or state which drives
their economy. Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, NYC, gosh I could go on
for a long time. An easy indicator frequently is the number of airports
which serve the larger population of the metro area. This can easily
be a sign of a politically fractured, yet economically bonded region.

I gotta figure europe, especially with the slow demise of "national"
airlines has this in their future too. Economic areas which are
served by airports which may not be within the borders of their
country, and potentially served by airlines with stronger connections
to other countries than their own. I realize that the EU concept is
intended to address this to some extent. But I can imagine it getting
freakishly predatory with countries attempting to dominate economically
by placing airports strategically to influence markets in other
countries, or whole regions.

I'd suspect the Pacific rim already feels something along this line
with large airlines able to influence commerce within a country to
which they have few if any political connections. I can imagine
"foreign policy by airline" could have a real potential in such
areas.

(desperately trying but probably failing)
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:36 PM
scott

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 19:31:21 GMT, Dick Locke
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 17:57:33 +0000 (UTC),
(Vitaly Shmatikov) wrote:

This reminds me of that old joke about a mother at the West Point
graduation saying how everybody but Johnny marches out of step.

Well, it can happen.

Actually, I think the Bay Area is more in touch with the world than
the rest of California and the current occupants of DC are.

Please explain.