Hello from the wilds

Old January 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Default Hello from the wilds

If it is the minor ruins we saw in BELIZE all you will see is a rough
road with a lot of tree stumps that you must be careful you do not trip
over,and a small pile of stones they call the ruins,not much at all to
see.
surfer e2468

cruise lover

Old January 6th, 2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
greatviz[_1_]

Philip and Heather Johnson wrote:
I would like to see some Maya sites but getting there and back in the short
amount of time could be a problem. I see there is a excursion to a minor
temple. I might have to be satisfied with that. There is always snorkling.

Thanks,
Phil

I've been to Belize twice via the cruise ship and I wouldn't mind going
back on my own. Once I did a trip to the Lamanai ruins, and another
time I went diving off the Turneffe Atolls. I did both excursions
through the ship as time was a consideration for both. My suggestion is
to go to Lamanai if you have the time - allow about 7 hours.

I think we spent at least 1 to 1.5 hrs. on a bus followed by another
hour+ on a boat, but the river ride by itself was great. Lamanai was in
the process of being excavated when we went a few years ago, and
probably still is. It sits in a small piece of jungle surrounded by
agricultural land. As a result, some of the wildlife sought shelter
there. I noticed a private company is offering trips for 75USD/pp from
the tender docking area, but I have no experience with them, so can't
recommend.

Next trip, I'd like to get to Ambergris Caye/San Pedro and check out the
town and diving/snorkeling. Whatever you do, don't just do a Belize
City tour. I think most of "the good stuff" involves a bit of travel -
people who did cave tubing seemed to enjoy it, and some seemed satisfied
seeing the smaller ruins at Altun Ha. Hope you have a great time
whatever you decide to do.

http://gocentralamerica.about.com/od...e/p/Lamani.htm
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

"Philip and Heather Johnson" wrote in message
I've been to the library, yes there's still a few left, and read up on
Belize and Costa Rica. They sound like beautiful places. More than just
the ruins to see. I'm not a big fan of choppers, bad experience. More
research needed. But that's half the fun.:)

Thanks for the response.
Phil

Do some more checking and I'm sure you will find a helicopter service

who
will make visiting the maya sites very possible. I'm surprised clint
didn't
think about that.

JP.....

Your welcome phillip. Glad I could help. Some people on this NG, like Dick G
from the ghetto of cherry hill, NJ think I am a troll and never offer good
advice.
Sorry about your bad experience with choppers but that would have been a
fast way to make a visit.

JP

Old January 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Philip and Heather Johnson

Hiya,

Thanks! I did a little research on the Lamanai site in a couple of books I
have. I hadn't realized that it has been excavated to the extent it has.
Lamanai was a trading center from about 300BC until well after the Spanish
arrived. Quite impressive. I understand the surrounding lowlands conceal
many more ruins. Well, that seals it. Now I have to figure out the best way
to see it. Carnival doesn't list it as a excursion. At least that I could
see. What's the best way to line up a trip at the docks? I'll try to find
something on the net.

My wife and I are certified divers but haven't logged a dive in a few years
so I'm not sure if they would let us go. I'm still undecided on whether to
bring the mask, fins and snorkels along. Pain in the ass to lug around. In
every picture we have I have the ubiquitous net bag slung over my shoulder
schlepping up some trail or street. :)

Thanks again,

Old January 6th, 2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Philip and Heather Johnson

Hi JP,

If you're the troll who's the three billy goat gruffs? Never mind, don't
answer that. I don't want to start a row. (just kidding folks) I understand
what a troll is but as my wife will attest I don't take to much seriously.
To old to give a fiddelers fart.

I'm thinking about an excursion to Lamanai. Do you know how to line up one
if the cruise line dosen't offer it?

Thanks,
Phil

Old January 6th, 2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

[...]

Well phillip, although my expertise with cruises would leave most people
speechless, shall we begin by telling me the location of LAMANAI. Also, what
is it? A tourist trap or some scenic port?

JP...if dickie doo from cherry hill knows anything, he is welcome to help
out.

Old January 6th, 2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Danni

"JP" wrote in message
Well phillip, although my expertise with cruises would leave most people
speechless, shall we begin by telling me the location of LAMANAI. Also,
what
is it? A tourist trap or some scenic port?

JP...if dickie doo from cherry hill knows anything, he is welcome to help
out.

Another of those notes you should have thought about before you hit "send"?

For the record John, two weeks on a military transport ship to Vietnam
doesn't count as a "cruise".

Old January 6th, 2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JP[_3_]

"Danni" wrote in message

"JP" wrote in message
Well phillip, although my expertise with cruises would leave most people
speechless, shall we begin by telling me the location of LAMANAI. Also,
what
is it? A tourist trap or some scenic port?

JP...if dickie doo from cherry hill knows anything, he is welcome to

help
out.

Another of those notes you should have thought about before you hit

"send"?

For the record John, two weeks on a military transport ship to Vietnam
doesn't count as a "cruise".

Sorry danni. You caught me having a weak moment. I should have reconsidered
my post before hitting send.
BTW...what makes you think I spent two weeks on a military transport to
Vietnam? You are 75% correct.
I spent 18 days on a military transport to Hawaii; then Yokohama, Japan and
I got off at Okinawa. Never did make vietnam. Flew home 18 months later.
After sleeping in the heat and humidity of the pacific during July 1964, 4
decks down, and working 12 hour shifts in the kitchen helping the cooks, was
enough to ruin my interest in ships forever.
Did Daddy Goldhaber spend anytime in Vietnam or the pacific? The last name
sounds familiar.

JP

Old January 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

"Philip and Heather Johnson" wrote

Thanks! I did a little research on the Lamanai site in a couple of books I
have. I hadn't realized that it has been excavated to the extent it has.
Lamanai was a trading center from about 300BC until well after the Spanish
arrived. Quite impressive. I understand the surrounding lowlands conceal
many more ruins. Well, that seals it. Now I have to figure out the best
way to see it.

Phil, try http://www.belizecruiseexcursions.co...nai_Belize.htm I did
this excursion a few years ago and it was very impressive. I understand
that more of the site has been unearthed since then. Wear good walking
shoes... once you get there the walking tour can take about an hour through
the jungle on moderately rough ground, but again, I heard that the paths
have been improved since I did the tour.

--
George Leppla http://www.countryside-travel.com

April 29, 2007 GGC2007 http://cruisemaster.com/pride.htm
October 14, 2007 MOAGC 3 - http://www.moagc-3.com
January 20, 2008 - Adventure - http://cruisemaster.com/adventure.htm

Old January 6th, 2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Danni

"JP" wrote in message
Sorry danni. You caught me having a weak moment. I should have
reconsidered
my post before hitting send.

You seem to be having a lot of those lately.